“Dolphin Kayaking”
Review of Chesapean Outdoors

Chesapean Outdoors
More attraction details
Owner description: Kayak Dolphin Tours * Kayak State Park Tours * Bike Tours *Surf Lessons * Kayak RentalsFounded in 1996 as Chesapean Kayak Tours, we developed a reputation as one of the area's best kayak touring companies for dolphin watching off the coastline of Virginia Beach . Now, 15 solid years later, not only do we specialize in guided eco-tours, but we offer a variety of outdoor activities that guarantee adventure and fun for all! At Chesapean Outdoors, we believe in providing top of the line, customer service. We appreciate the value of our customers support and hope that your experience with us is meaningful. It is our honor to have you as our guest and we thank you, sincerely, for your business.
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We went on the dolphin kayaking tour from 79th street, on the North end of VA Beach yesterday. We bought a groupon and had to reschedule our original date, July 5th. They were very accommodating with that request. It was kind of hard to find parking on the side streets they recommended, so get there early in case you have to search for awhile to park. We had lots of storms last week, so I was afraid we would be fighting some pretty strong currents, and we did. The guide explained it would be rough going on the way back because of the headwind and current, so everyone knew what they were getting into. It was kind of rough out there, too, which made it a little less relaxing at times. However, it didn't take long to start seeing dolphins. We paddled up close to them and they stayed all around us from that point on. My husband had four of them come up less than two feet from his kayak and I saw several. They were not very active, but we did see lots of them. I'd never seen them with barnacles attached to their fin, so that was kind of cool, and many had little notches on their fins, which almost made them look like sharks at first! We had to fight the current on the way back and ended up coming in 10 blocks down from where we put in and walking back because the current was so strong and everyone was getting tired, but overall was a very cool 2 hours and a great way to spend the afternoon. IF you put in on the oceanfront and it is rough, know that you will need to be in fairly decent shape to make it back. Follow the advice of the guide and do what he says and you won't get too tired. ;) I think I may try this paddle boarding thing next, but not off the oceanfront! I'd like to try the kayak tour from First Landing. I think that would be pretty cool, and probably a lot smoother!

1  Thank beachykeenTexas
All reviews
"kayak tour"
in 7 reviews
"first landing state park"
"double kayak"
"waves"
"surf"
"kayakers"

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We did kayaking twice with Chesapean Outdoors, once with Trey as our guide and other time with John. Both of them were amazing with teaching kayaking and being patient with beginners. We had excellent experiences both the times. The first time was on June 1st, we did not see any dolphins, the ocean was cold. But, we totally enjoyed kayaking and watching some birds fishing etc. The second time on July 5th was the best day in terms of weather and also dolphins. We had at least 15-20 dolphins swimming close to us. Just out of the world experience!

Matt, the owner is very helpful and accommodative. We used our groupon for 4 twice at different times for me and my husband. Matt and Stephanie made the scheduling of our tours really easy both time. This was very useful as we were traveling all the way from Blacksburg, VA for the dolphin tours. It is worth it! I highly recommend Chesapean Outdoors.

Thanks Matt, Stephanie, Trey and John!

1  Thank Kshitija D
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We purchased the 2hr paddle boarding tour on groupon. What an awesome experience. Our guide Garrett was a great teacher, helpful, informative and patient with us first timers. We'd highly recommend this tour and Garrett as a guide!

Reviewed June 2, 2013

This was my first paddle board experience and I had a blast! Our guide, Martin, was awesome and even took us to a gorgeous spot off the beach before we turned back! I recommend them for this type of water activity... I know I'll be back!