“Amazing Therapists”

Flowering Almond Spa
More attraction details
Owner description: Inspired by the elegant beauty of The Founders Inn and Spa resort and the time-honored rejuvenation and relaxation technique, the resort's spa is a favorite choice of hotel guests and Virginia Beach residents alike. Complete your inner transformation with a visit to our peaceful conservatory and perhaps a spa lunch during your stay at Virginia Beach spa resort. We offer complimentary Wi-Fi.
Reviewed June 14, 2012

The Flowering Almond Spa is apart of the Founder's Inn in Virginia Beach, VA.

In the past 2 years I have visited 15 different spas for a deep tissue couple's massage in The United States and Mexico. As a local area resident, I look forward to massages at The Flowering Almond Spa, but due to the price being higher than other day spas, I don't go here as often as I'd like.

In the past year, I've visited the Flowering Almond Spa 5 times with my fiancé. Each time I've done a deep tissue couple's massage, and I can say without question that the Flowering Almond Spa's therapists are the best of any of the 15 spa's I've visited throughout the world-- hands down. :P

Shelly and Deena are outstanding, and there's another female threapist that is equally top-notch. I have yet to encounter massage therapists ANYWHERE that work as hard and do as good as of a job as those at The Flowering Almond Spa.

Now for the not-so-good parts of the spa:

-The Locker Rooms are shared with the hotel gym, rather the locker rooms being private like at most spas. 3 out of the 5 times I've visited, gym guests have decided to use the showers despite signs saying they're for spa guest use only. Each time this has happened, the receptionist at the front desk says she would tell someone, but nothing seems to be done about this problem. If I'm going to continue to pay $380+ for a couple's 80 minute, I'd appreciate the Spa actually enforcing this and acting like they care about this. I'm not paying to use a shower that a sweaty gym guest has used and has dirtied with their filth.

-This spa has had a BIG problem in the past of bothering to answer their phones during spa operating hours. Only 1 of the 5 times I've made a reservation have I ever gotten through to someone live. The other 4 times has been an outright ordeal of phone-tag in trying to schedule an appointment. One time I couldn't even reach the spa's voicemail, and was routed back to The Founders' Inn Front Desk *FIVE TIMES* before the front desk agent at the hotel connected me directly with the Spa's voicemail.The Flowering Almond Spa REALLY needs to work on this.

As another reviewer said, the waiting area where one goes prior to sit before a massage is co-ed. If this makes you uncomfortable, keep in mind that you probably won't be sitting there too long. Oh, one other thing, if you're a bigger guy, be sure to request a bigger robe to avoid possibly showing off in the waiting area.

Bottom line: If you're looking for a massage in the Virginia Beach area, and you don't mind a few qwirks about the actual spa facilities, you're in for some of the best massage therapists anywhere.

4  Thank ScottTravelsTheWorld

Reviewed May 5, 2012

I have been to this spa on a few occasions. My husband and I spend a few nights at the Founders Inn over our honeymoon and I had a couple services at the spa. Before that I had visited and both times before told myself I wouldn't go again. Service was professional but I feel they are way overpriced compared to other spas in the area. I had a facial and paid twice as much as I had at another location and I did not feel it was as high quality as the other.

FoundersInn, Director of Spa and Fitness at Flowering Almond Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2012

I truly appreciate your feedback regarding the prices at our spa. Being the only luxury resort spa in Hampton Roads, we strive to deliver only the most pampering, luxurious, relaxing experiences to each and every guest. We feel that the level of service that we offer is incomparable to any other spa in the area. We do include the tax and gratuity in the price of the service to aid in ease of checking out. I am so glad that you found our staff professional. I feel that we have the best therapists in all of Hampton Roads. Thank you again for your feedback, we hope that you will visit us again someday!

Best,
Kelly Delgiorno
Director of Spa and Fitness
The Flowering Almond Spa
THe Founders Inn

Reviewed July 24, 2011

While on a family vacation, I recently visited with a group of friends for a day of relaxation. There were four of us in the party and we all were excited to book massages together as part of a mommy getaway. I, being in the spa industry, was in charge of booking. I found the Flowering Almond Spa online and looked at the pictures. So pretty and serene...this looked like the place! After a few phone calls back and forth, we were set. I was happy they could accommodate all four of our services at the same time!!

When we arrived, it took a minute or two to be greeted by the front desk. I was the only one acknowledged in my party which made us all feel a bit awkward as we followed the coordinator to the locker rooms. We laughed about it and carried on.

I asked if we could celebrate the visit with a cocktail or likewise. The front desk coordinator asked what the special occasion was. I responded, "A girls getaway!" She obliged.

As we were changing into extremely thin robes, I asked an attendant if these drinks were complimentary (curious since some spas do) and she replied, " Only if it's a special occasion like an anniversary or birthday." I was surprised this was the case, since we felt our visit was celebratory enough. Even so, I had no problem paying but felt a bit offended. I blew it off and went to meet the rest of my party in the lounge area.

As we all sat down, we were handed our own glasses of champagne! So excited, we wanted to toast before our service.
We were waiting for one friend ( I'll call her "J") to finish her form (as she was the only one asked to fill out paperwork) when her therapist walked in and asked for her. As a party of 4, we thought is strange as she was the only one leaving. As she stood up...I handed her the glass for a quick toast but the therapist rudely stopped "J", pointed to her wrist and said, "it's time for your service. You cannot drink that now."
We stood there in awe as she mumbled something about feeding it to my friend "J" in the room. What? Rude! And to top it off, during said therapist's subpar services, her cell phone rang mid-massage. It was almost laughable. "J" was unsettled and could not enjoy any of it. I felt so bad.

Eventually, the remainder of our party were randomly called into the treatment rooms. We all agreed the massages were okay. Not good nor bad. Specifically, the massages were mostly asymmetrical effleurage (the massages were all long strokes like simple Swedish technique but not even on both sides of the body)....and don't expect deeper pressure if you ask....twice. We tried to ignore it since we are all moms of babies...any relaxing attention was desperately welcomed. We wanted to enjoy it. So, we tried....hard.

Afterwards, My group and I met back in the lounge area. We were given water and showed the tea cart to help ourselves. Unfortunately, we compared notes and found everyone disappointed. The worst being my friend, "J".

I asked to speak with a manager to inform them of the incident(s) that occurred with my unhappy friend. I omitted the other cringe-worthy moments. The manager was not available, so I spoke with a young woman who was sweet and validated our feelings regarding what happened. She apologized and offered chocolate covered strawberries! Anything chocolate would erase the bad moments we had:))) True? We agreed.

As we were sitting there, I was presented a bill in front of my friends (embarrassing since I was paying for 1 friend and not all) and the strawberries never arrived. Talk about sad!

Since we couldn't stay any longer, we got dressed and proceeded to the front desk to checkout. The young lady who offered the treats stood at the front and avoided eye contact with me. Not even a word about the peace offering was spoken!

Needless to say, we were happy to end the experience without the door hitting us in the backside!! All in all, bad. So disappointed in what should have been such a rewarding day at the spa. Thumbs down. Way down and never again. The only reason I didn't rate this spa "terrible = 1 star" is the aesthetics. The front desk and retail area is defined and airy, the locker rooms were clean, and the lounge/treatment areas were serene and quiet. They had comfy lounge chairs and organic tea and fruit. For that, I am grateful. But I could have stayed at the beach house we rented together to get that. No kidding. :(

7  Thank Kellyanne1220
Reviewed May 19, 2010

I enjoyed my massage (although more pressure and less prep and transition time would have been nice) and other spa treatment. The spa was relaxing and well designed. Very roomy. I wish they had separate seating rooms for men and women, however, as you are in nothing but robes.