“Very Good Sauces and Pasta”
Review of Mannino's Italian Bistro - CLOSED

Mannino's Italian Bistro
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Northwest Virginia Beach
Description: The experienced Culinary team of Chefs John R. Mannino & John M. Mannino (Father & Son Respectively) have partnered with Sommelier Daris Gavin to open New "Olde World Style" Italian Bistros. The goal was to give patrons Great Italian food at a reasonable price point with wine choices to match. We are sure that the Mannino’s Italian Bistro Family will work with great passion & attention to detail to try and ensure that our guest develop a sense of home and comfort while enjoying their dining experience. John R. spent time at many restaurants both locally (Nicholas’ at the Omni, La Bella Italia, Café Society {Executive Chef}, Bodegas & 456 Fish) and nationally (Lacey’s Restaurant/ Manhattan & East of Athens/ Long Island). John M Mannino is an Honors Graduate of Culinary Institute of America. He was the Executive Chef of Bodega & 4 5 6 Fish prior to opening Mannino's. John M also won the Inaugural 2012 Taste of Hamptonroads Iron Chef competition.
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Having recently noticed a little slippage in our favorite Norfolk italian restaurant, we stopped in again for dinner at Mannino's Robbins Corner, after an absence of probably over a year. Not too much had changed; the restaurant's interior is still nicely decorated but a bit sterile (only so much you can do with a +/- 1,000 square foot rectangle), servers are still very warm and attentive (but a little weak on the contents of their wine cellar), and, as always, the place was very busy. Our server Mirren was very helpful and attentive throughout, and first allowed us to sample a few of their wine offerings before we settled in to our choices for the evening. Then, after hearing about the evening specials, we were on to our food choices; first their fried oysters, prepared with dried tomatoes, a parmesan cream and bacon - very different, not too creamy/cheesy, and delicious. My wife opted for their cheese ravioli as her entree, which was served with a very fresh and lightly seasoned marinara - also delicious. I had the Saltimbocca; the veal was nicely cooked and thinly sliced, and the sherry sage wine sauce was excellent, but the dish was served with too much (fresh) spinach, and way too much (fresh) mozzarella cheese. We also had to try the Gnocchi, and found the pasta itself, and the plum tomato sauce served with it, to be really excellent - but, again, the dish was served with too much cubed (fresh) mozzarella. Finally we finished with a piece of the tiramisu, which we found flavorful but a little dry, probably because chef doesn't layer the mascarpone into the dish, but only places a dab of the cheese under the cake when plating it for serving.

So Mannino's continues as a really good restaurant for fresh and lightly seasoned sauces, well prepared pasta, great bread, and, sadly, too much cheese in their dishes for my tastes. And the people here have always been great, and certainly continue to be so. Still a nice spot for well prepared, basic italian.

There are newer reviews for Mannino's Italian Bistro

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Last night was my first opportunity to experience fine dining at Maninno's on Pleasure House Road. We checked the online menu before going. I was happy to see Parmesan Fried Green Tomatoes for appetizer. I knew that was worth trying and it was. The greeting and staff made me feel right at home. The atmosphere was very relaxing. The waitresses were knowledgeable and helpful. They really made you feel right at home. We tried the fried green tomatoes for the appetizer. They aren't southern (this is an Italian restaurant) but they were amazing. topped with blue cheese and salsa. I could easily had those for a meal. For the entree I ordered Pollo Parmigiana. The mozzarella cheese topping was baked on just right on crusted chicken fried just right. All smothered in a zesty tomato sauce. The portion size was large enough, I had to take half of it home to enjoy later. I am looking forward to my next visit which will be soon. I am lucky that I live right around the corner.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

I was at Mannino's in Portsmouth on last Monday 11/05/12 our group of 23 arrived without reservations. The restaurant was not expecting 23 of us in addition to perhaps 10 more customers who showed up for the "special priced wine night" This location has been open for only two weeks. (I know, no excuse) There were 22 of us who got grand service, and wonderful food. I'm truly sorry that one of our friends never got their dinner. I would have rather it happen to me. Restaurants are not perfect.........but that is what we/I, expect!! I do know that the management upon finding out the problem, presented a generous gift card for the disappointed customer. I hope that our friend will return, and find everything satisfactory. I do own this building, but have NO financial interest in the restaurant.
Brenda Aston

1  Thank AlisiaHome
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We went with a group of friends for the Monday night special: $10.00 bottle of wine. While the food (that we got) was good, the prices were WAY over-valued. After TWO HOURS, one of our group had still not received an entree, while parties who arrived afterwards received theirs. All the while, our server had time to meet and greet incoming customers at the door with with big hugs. (There WAS a hostess for that purpose.) Prediction: if this establishment doesn't modify its high-priced menu and improve its wait staff, it will suffer the same fate as eight other restaurants in downtown Portsmouth in the past twelve months.

2  Thank Evan P
Reviewed October 19, 2012

My husband and I had dinner there recently, and it was nothing shy of EXCELLENT!! We decided to dine at the bar area because we were eating lite and had plans. The bartender Shontell was excellent and expertly knew the menu. I started off with the holiday martini special, which was pumpkin! My husband had an extra dirty martini, let me assure you Shontell makes a fabulous martini. We then share a generous calimari appetizer, which is absolutely the best in Hampton Roads. I had the Della Casa house with creamy Gorgonzola dressing FABULAS, and my husband had the Caesar - both were so fresh and delicious. The chef, Carlos, even stop by to ask how everything was. This attention to detal and serve is wonderful. We will be returning!