“First Time”
Review of Mannino's Italian Bistro - CLOSED

Mannino's Italian Bistro
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Northwest Virginia Beach
Description: The experienced Culinary team of Chefs John R. Mannino & John M. Mannino (Father & Son Respectively) have partnered with Sommelier Daris Gavin to open New "Olde World Style" Italian Bistros. The goal was to give patrons Great Italian food at a reasonable price point with wine choices to match. We are sure that the Mannino’s Italian Bistro Family will work with great passion & attention to detail to try and ensure that our guest develop a sense of home and comfort while enjoying their dining experience. John R. spent time at many restaurants both locally (Nicholas’ at the Omni, La Bella Italia, Café Society {Executive Chef}, Bodegas & 456 Fish) and nationally (Lacey’s Restaurant/ Manhattan & East of Athens/ Long Island). John M Mannino is an Honors Graduate of Culinary Institute of America. He was the Executive Chef of Bodega & 4 5 6 Fish prior to opening Mannino's. John M also won the Inaugural 2012 Taste of Hamptonroads Iron Chef competition.
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Last night was my first opportunity to experience fine dining at Maninno's on Pleasure House Road. We checked the online menu before going. I was happy to see Parmesan Fried Green Tomatoes for appetizer. I knew that was worth trying and it was. The greeting and staff made me feel right at home. The atmosphere was very relaxing. The waitresses were knowledgeable and helpful. They really made you feel right at home. We tried the fried green tomatoes for the appetizer. They aren't southern (this is an Italian restaurant) but they were amazing. topped with blue cheese and salsa. I could easily had those for a meal. For the entree I ordered Pollo Parmigiana. The mozzarella cheese topping was baked on just right on crusted chicken fried just right. All smothered in a zesty tomato sauce. The portion size was large enough, I had to take half of it home to enjoy later. I am looking forward to my next visit which will be soon. I am lucky that I live right around the corner.

There are newer reviews for Mannino's Italian Bistro

Reviewed November 7, 2012

I was at Mannino's in Portsmouth on last Monday 11/05/12 our group of 23 arrived without reservations. The restaurant was not expecting 23 of us in addition to perhaps 10 more customers who showed up for the "special priced wine night" This location has been open for only two weeks. (I know, no excuse) There were 22 of us who got grand service, and wonderful food. I'm truly sorry that one of our friends never got their dinner. I would have rather it happen to me. Restaurants are not perfect.........but that is what we/I, expect!! I do know that the management upon finding out the problem, presented a generous gift card for the disappointed customer. I hope that our friend will return, and find everything satisfactory. I do own this building, but have NO financial interest in the restaurant.
Brenda Aston

1  Thank AlisiaHome
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We went with a group of friends for the Monday night special: $10.00 bottle of wine. While the food (that we got) was good, the prices were WAY over-valued. After TWO HOURS, one of our group had still not received an entree, while parties who arrived afterwards received theirs. All the while, our server had time to meet and greet incoming customers at the door with with big hugs. (There WAS a hostess for that purpose.) Prediction: if this establishment doesn't modify its high-priced menu and improve its wait staff, it will suffer the same fate as eight other restaurants in downtown Portsmouth in the past twelve months.

2  Thank Evan P
Reviewed October 19, 2012

My husband and I had dinner there recently, and it was nothing shy of EXCELLENT!! We decided to dine at the bar area because we were eating lite and had plans. The bartender Shontell was excellent and expertly knew the menu. I started off with the holiday martini special, which was pumpkin! My husband had an extra dirty martini, let me assure you Shontell makes a fabulous martini. We then share a generous calimari appetizer, which is absolutely the best in Hampton Roads. I had the Della Casa house with creamy Gorgonzola dressing FABULAS, and my husband had the Caesar - both were so fresh and delicious. The chef, Carlos, even stop by to ask how everything was. This attention to detal and serve is wonderful. We will be returning!

Reviewed October 13, 2012

They just need tablecloths.The food is great but the atmosphere could be better. It just looks as if someone came in and threw down some tables and opened a restrauant. I go there often because of the food.