“Dirty, bugs, broken lights”

MacThrift Motor Inn
MacThrift Motor Inn
Ranked #101 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
“Dirty, bugs, broken lights”
Reviewed November 14, 2011

My husband and I decided to stay here for a night to see how we would like it if we did weekly rentals...the lady at the from desk seemed upset that we had to go to an ATM to get money because the lobby was about to close. She was patient enough, I guess. She waited outside the door for us. We got to the room and the door looked busted. We tried to turn on the lights, the lights didn't work. I looked around and went through every room and when I turned the light on in the bathroom, there were roaches, from adults to babies. I was disgusted. I have a fear of bed bugs and when I pulled the sheets back on one of the double beds, I found a roach, alive and well. This place needs pest control. The bathroom floor was sticky. I refused to sleep in the bed until we took all the sheets off and we put them back on ourselves. The kitchen wasn't too bad but the fridge shelves kept falling. My husband and I were watching tv about 20 minutes ago and heard arguing from down stairs. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. This is NOT place for children, in my opinion. If you do decide to stay here, bring a can of RAID, a bunch of sanitizing wipes, vacuum and your own sheets...heck, bring your own bed. Worst experience I've ever had in a hotel.

• Stayed November 2011
7 Thank jbell89

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Crewe, Virginia
Reviewed August 24, 2011

This is a busted up stinky motel. Never bring children or babies. The front desk clerks are very rude. The rooms are outdated and have broken appliances, even the microwave in the front office barely worked. Our tub in the bathroom received backfill with water and loose looking gravel. They practice unfair policies here. There is a sign that says no refund whenever you see a place of business especially a hotel or motel that has a sign stating no refund take it as a big RED FLAGGGGGG...... They will not give you your money back even for something like plumbing issues which is something totally on them and not the fault of the guest. They do not care and are money hungry. WARNING: Stay away from this place even if the price is right....

Room Tip: Outdated, dirty looking, stinky, broken appliances, and poor lighting
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank tia t

Travelers are raving about these Virginia Beach hotels

Riviere-du-Loup, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed August 8, 2011

For 973.00$ plus taxes, it was just terrible. A lot of ants running everywhere. It smells dirty and it was dirty. This building needs a pest control and someone to repair le lot of things. We need to pay to have ici. It was supposed to an efficiency unit but there was nothing in the kitchen exept a small et old stove and a broken refrigerator. We need to buy RAID and something to have a better odor inside the unit. Maid service is only once a week. We need to take care of our garbage by ourselves and go the office to change our towels everyday.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GMDORVAL
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed July 22, 2011

Felt like we were not welcomed by the year round residents , And I don't pay 25cents for ice, live and I learn, Drive 2 more hours to obx

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank yeehaa230
Pittsburgh PA
Reviewed August 24, 2010

We have been to VA Beach several times but for just a few days at a time. We really wanted to treat ourselves to a week but couldn't afford to stay ocean front the entire time. I took a chance and booked a week long stay in a 2 bedroom apartment at the Mac Thrift Motor Inn. It was $999 plus tax for a week long stay for the 2 bedroom apartment . We thought if we cooked some of our meals in that this would enable us to enjoy a week at the beach. There were a few reviews, a mix of good and bad. I was hoping we would luck out and be on the more favorable end. Everyone was very nice when I did call to inquire and book the stay. They do not furnish anything as far as utensils and small appliances for the kitchen, not even a coffee pot but you could get coffee in the office There was a coffee pot in our apartment though, but we brought our own and prefered to use it.. We had to take everything. I called the hotel a few days before we arrived not knowing if we were on ground floor or on an upper level. I was hoping we could do ground level since my daughter had a knee injury. They were able to put us on the ground level. We checked in and went to apartment 405 on ground level. It was an older property that was for sure. It is in need of some updates. The furnishings looked nothing like the brochure or internet though. The living room lamp shades were both crooked, like a party had gone on or something. As we started to bring our things in we found several things that were not acceptable. We found a dirty sock on the window sill of the bedroom with the two double beds. The other bedroom a dresser drawer was broken and would not close. The wall lamp between the two beds, the plug was broken off completly. We also found some very undesirable trash behind the dresser when we pulled it out to acess the plug for a blow dryer. There were several dust balls on the ceiling in the living room. The bathroom is in need of some major updates. Very old and dirty looking tile and grout . The shower curtain was in bad shape and needed replaced. The shower head was not in good working order either. When you attempted to turn it on, you had to do it carefully. Once the water started to flow from the shower head it would stop and come out the tub faucet if you turned it any further. Light bulbs needed replaced there as well. And the walls, had several dark black hairs all over. The kitchen light above the sink wasn't working very well either. The small electric stove is up against the wall so it is rather awkward to use.

I went to the office and the gal said she was just the weekend/evening person, she would be speaking to the manager by phone. There was no one from housekeeping or maintenance to take care of the concerns. After I returned to the apartment the front desk called and said the manager said for us to move upstairs, the original place we had reserved. Again I told her that my daughters injury was a concern. They only had steps, no elevators. We were stuck till the next morning. I just didn't know what to do. Not how you want to start your vacation after driving 9 hours to get there. I spoke to Jackie the next morning, she told me these things were minor, they had just had everything recently professionally cleaned and they were inspected. I told her I found it hard to believe that they were recently professionally cleaned or we wouldn't of found what we did on the window sills and behind the dresser. To some the $999.00 for the week may not be much but to us it was and I didn't think all of these things were minor. A couple of things maybe, but there were alot of things wrong. We had no other real option to but to give them a chance to make things right. There was no way we could go anywhere else for a week, last minute or for the money we paid. We just wanted the place to be clean and comfortable. We planned on being out a good bit, but still we felt that the apartment should of not been in the condition it was when we checked in.

A few minutes later, Tammy came over and asked us to show her the housekeeping concerns. She seemed very concerned and a bit shocked at some of what we showed her. The other issues were maintenance and he would be checking in as well. She said she would give us time to finish up our breakfast and she would take care of everything. We had plans for the bulk of day. When we returned that evening things were better. It made things bearable for the remainder of the stay. The maintenance man finished up the one electrical problem on Tuesday since he had to go and get some bulbs.

The property is a block and a half from the ocean front. We checked in on Saturday, it was busy, we were unable to get a parking spot in front of our apartment.. Who ever was in the apartment above us for the night were up late, lots of heavy foot steps above us till about 1 AM or so. Sunday most folks checked out and we had a quieter stay, we had a parking spot in front of our door the rest of the stay. They have a nice outdoor pool and we did use it several times. I did touch base with Tammy Monday morning and thanked her for taking care of things. She said to just let her know and she would do what ever she could. There is a good bit of closet storage in the apartment though. I was surprised by that. We only used the closets in the bedroom and the one off the kitchen to put the large cooler, plastic bin in that we had our kitchen necessities in. There is a washer and dryer available, you have to buy tokens at the front desk for $1 each. We opted to go to a laundry mat and do it all in a shorter time frame. We did use the dryer to dry the wet towels and swim gear the last day there. There was really no place to sit out in front of the apartment. You could go sit out by the pool if you wanted I guess. We had our son take the ice bucket and get some ice since we didn't bother with ice cube trays and none were provided. He came back and said we needed to pay for the ice, you just can't get it yourself. I did read in one review that they didn't even have hangers. Our apartment did have some hangers in the two bedroom closets. They provide bath towels, wash cloths and the small bars of soap. That is it.

We made the best of the situation. Over all most of the staff were nice and Tammy was a huge part of making things bearable for the week. It was just a big disappointment . We had thought some additional family would be coming to join us for a few days as well. Unfortunatly they had a family emergency and didn't. I am glad they didn't. I would of felt terrible if they had walked in and had to see what we did. You wait anxiously for your one week of vacation and to be greeted with all these problems. That should not be what vacation is about. If anyone would ask me about the Mac Thrift I would tell them exactly what we found and had to deal with. Despite the efforts to make things right, I wouldn't go back there again. It fit the budget. We knew when we booked it, it wasn't going to be a 3 or 4 star hotel. But it was a big disappointment. We have stayed at some older properties, basic rooms with a microfridge and coffee makers that were ocean front before and they were definetly maintained better than this property was. We wanted to give the kids their space, we wanted some space of our own, manage our food budget by some meals in and be able to enjoy a week at the beach. It just wasn't a good way to start our vacation and I didn't like that the manager said things these things were minor. It wasn't like we didn't have enough towels and a burned out light bulb. I appreciated the efforts to make it better but I just don't think I would take a chance of going there again after what greeted us.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank KAG39
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed June 20, 2010

Staff was great... I had no issues and told them I would be back in September... they seemed to be ready to help guest and do all they could to make vist the best. I will go back... close to beach and price is right... I would not take my kids anywhere I was not comforable! Large rooms with kitchen... Helped keep out budget down as we wanted.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank makeadeal072
PA
Reviewed March 31, 2010

This should not even be listed as a hotel for tourists. The front desk is rude.The hotel is very dirty inside and out. My daughter and her friend were told they were not allowed to swim in the pool because they were not "registered" guests (Yet I was) There are generally drug dealers standing around outside at any given time of day or night. THIS is not a tourist safe hotel. They rent rooms to low income families during the winter and then throw them out onto the street or charge them over 600 a week to stay there when summer comes. Virginia Beach - Do your homework before you visit this city! Come on Vacation.. Leave on Probation!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family