“Made From Scratch but Served Without Passion”

Saffron Indian Bistro
Ranked #262 of 1,422 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Northwest Virginia Beach
Description: The Best Indian Restaurant in Hampton Roads area.
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
“Made From Scratch but Served Without Passion”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Most of the reviews for Saffron speak to average or below service, but my latest visit did not reflect that. We did experience attentive and well informed wait staff. My wife has some unique allergies and they were able to sequester items and give us good alternatives. Each entre is made from scratch, so you can get exactly what you are wanting in terms of ingredients, spices and accompanying sauces.

Food is always well prepared and authentic. Spices are real Indian varieties and you can name your heat! They have a good selection of Indian beers, local brews on tap, and imported brews in bottles. House wines are a good value and they have an average selection of other varietals.

What this restaurant lacks is passion! No one seems particularly excited about our dinning experience other than to stop by from time to time to check on us. While they are ready to explain / translate their offerings, you never see a "special" nor is there much to differentiate it from other Indian restaurants in the area.

Portions are good sized, hot food is served hot, and cold is served appropriately cold. While not extensive, there are some good chutney selections. Appetizers and bread choices should satisfy a wide selection of tastes.

• Visited June 2013

Norfolk, Virginia
“Typical Americanized Indian Cuisine”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I was told Saffron's was the most authentic of Indian food joints in the area, according to my workmates who all hail from India.

I guess that's not saying much. For me, the food was the same as available elsewhere. The decor is nice. They have a decent lunch time buffet where Americans can stuff their face at noon, get a carb rush, and then crash for a nap at the cube around 3 pm.

It's a nice atmosphere. The food is good. but nothing I'd write home about.

Visited May 2013
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Service nothing to curry on about”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

The food is good, and if you like to try different cuisines it is a great place to go. They also have a heat index of 1-5 for those that like, or dislike hot spicy food, so you can control that. The service is typically poor, and I agree with the other reviewers, but the last time we went it had improved a bit, so maybe they are reading these reviews and trying to do a better job. Worth going to if you can tolerate the potential for slow service, otherwise don't go.

• Visited March 2013
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Mouthwatering DELISH”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I don't know how this place only averages 3.5 stars. It's incredible. The seafood soup, the vegetable pakora, the palak paneer, the garlic naan, and the mango lassi are my typical staples (I usually go for dinner), but I have sampled many of the other dishes at the lunch buffet, as well to my immense palatable enjoyment. The vegetables taste fresh, and each unique sauce is seasoned to perfection with all those amazing Indian aromatic and tingling spices. I always walk out with a massive smile and a massive belly. :) LOVE LOVE LOVE this place!!!!

• Visited January 2013
“Just horrible horrible horrible experince”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I visited this past Saturday night around 9:45 pm.When I walked in the door no one said anything to me.I was there for 5minutes or more.Finally I just walked around to find my family.The waiter took 15 min to bring our tea.There was six other people on our side They came in after us and receive their food before us.I will never go there again. Service was extremely poor