“Go for the pastrami...nothing else.”

Route 58 Delicatessen
Ranked #17 of 1,414 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We have plenty of parking! Carnegie Deli Cheesecake! Melt in your mouth Pastrami! Home of the award-winning Super Reuben!!
chesapeake
“Go for the pastrami...nothing else.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

I've been a few times and must say the pastrami is delicious. I don't know of any other restaurant in the area that can compare. This is NY good. But I have to agree with others who say it is pricey for the area.

The pastrami sandwich is huge and most people would probably want to split it. So that saves on the bill. The problem is getting something to go with your half sandwich. In my opinion none of the side salads are anything special. Fries are fine but only come in one size--a basket for $5 or $6. Fountain drinks are $3. Why? And watch out, the menu doesn't give prices for desserts. I ordered a slice of cheesecake on my first visit. I figured how much could it be? Well, it was $13!! And NOT worth it; it was dry. I think they ship it from Carnegie Deli in NYC. So what! I would never knowingly pay $13 for a slice of cheesecake even if it was the best on the planet.

All in all, I would say if you are craving good pastrami, get it here. Split the sandwich and it won't cost a fortune but will satisfy your craving. Go elsewhere for dessert...maybe Cheesecake factory down the street.

Another visit, I ordered the "famous" Rueben. It was disappointing. I could hardly taste the pastrami for all the sauerkraut...a ton of it.

• Visited February 2014

Allen, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Reuben Ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

I generally like reuben sandwiches fairly well, but these were the best I have ever eaten. The portions are huge and not many can finish without sharing! The sandwich meeat and sauces were delicious and the dessert were unbelievable. Plan to take a nap afterwards!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank lakers125705
Pensacola
“Giant portions”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

It;s like stepping back in old time New York, Enormous Sandwiches. Many different Items to choose from. Prices are reasonable compared to the size of your meal. I get up to Virginia once a year with the Navy, and I will always stop in.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Autumntribe
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Best pastrami and fries with gravy!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014 via mobile

We have been coming to route 58 for several years. The sandwiches are huge and in true New York style. They decor also matches the feel of the menu. The hardest part is choosing from the wide menu. Bring an empty stomach! You'll need it!

1 Thank VABeachGirl757
“Wonderful lunch,”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

We were visiting family and went here for lunch. We all had the smaller sandwich with salads or soup. It was wonderful the " smaller potions were still huge. I had the tuna on rye, best ever with the Greek salad. The salad had a huge triangle of feta, so good. I was only able to eat half of my sandwich but savored every bit . Everyone else had the pastrami and said it was sooo good along with their salads and soup. We will be back for sure!

Visited May 2014