“This Place is Great!!!!”

Route 58 Delicatessen
Ranked #24 of 1,464 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: We have plenty of parking! Carnegie Deli Cheesecake! Melt in your mouth Pastrami! Home of the award-winning Super Reuben!!
Reviewed January 31, 2013

My husband and I ordered take out , There sandwiches are so huge we had to save half for the next day. We are from New York and love the food from there : Pastrami and Corned Beef was excellent just like New York. Love this place !!!!

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I have been here two times and experienced 2 very different experiences. The first time was AMAZING!!! The food was hot and very plentiful. the service was also great. I guess they had the a team there at night. When I went back there for lunch a had a totally different experience. The servers were kinda rude and I did not get as much food as before. I showed my server a pic of my sandwich that I bought the time before and she was shocked and agreed that it was def not the same and could understand why i was disappointed. After all of that she was just like oh well I guess you should come back in the evening...WTH!!! that is not the response to give. Needless to say i wont be returning here in the daytime at all. the whole atmosphere was totally different. The dessert and sandwiches are huge. i would love to try it for breakfast to see how that is but I am a little skeptical because of my last encounter

1  Thank mzlita
Reviewed January 22, 2013

My husband and I were SO excited to visit this deli on our overnighter to VA Beach. Especially after the reviews. However, we were very disappointed to find out that they were completely out of their biggest sellers: Pastrami and Corned Beef. We stayed anyway. So, I can only review on what were able to order, based off of our waitress' recommendations. The portions were very large, but the food was just so-so, especially based on the price we paid - $60 for Chicken Salad, Roast Beef and two kids meals ($7 each for hot dogs). I personally think it was a lot of money for the quality of the food. And they charge you extra for EVERYTHING. My bread was really dry and actually hurt my mouth. We brought our food home and it didn't really withstand the hours between firsts and seconds. I personally felt a little ripped off. I would like to say I would go back and give a review based on their specialty, but I don't know if I want to pay that much for a deli sandwich again. At least serve some chips on the side for the price. Clearly this isn't popular opinion as this restaurant has great reviews in general. I just wanted to share my experience.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

My husband and I stopped here on our way to the beach. We had a wait of about 20 minutes but it was worth it. I think we lucked up because it was some kind of special restaurant event week and they had some good specials. Since they were going to charge us $10 extra to share (don't know if this was just because of the special or if this is normal policy)), we decided to each get a Super reuben and potato pancakes. Well, they brought out two potato pancakes that were huge for each of us. They were okay but I wouldn't order them again. However, when the waitress brought out the reubens, we were floored! I have never seen so much meat in a sandwich! We immediately had the waitress wrap up half of each sandwich and we tackled the halves that we had left. There was no way you could pick that sandwich up to eat it, so I guess I wound up with something of an open-faced reuben. (I will order the open faced one next time). The meat was delicious...well, everything about the sandwich was great. I wish we had had room to try the dessert but I couldn't even finish my half of the sandwich. I would definitely get something to go next time because all the desserts looked incredible. You will not be disappointed if you go there to eat..it is super good!

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Absolutely the best restaurant in Virginia Beach. I wish there where more places like this in Virginia. Knish is awesome. Get the open faced Ruben!