“Fly in my wife's food” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Yanni's Casual Greek - CLOSED

Yanni's Casual Greek
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
“Fly in my wife's food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

Tonight my wife and I came here looking for some great Greek food. We had an app that was good. We re excited about getting our entree's. My wife's came and she ate the salad that was on the main dish and the last bite had a dead fly on it. Appalled by this we called over a manager and showed her the fly that we had found. The manager then told us , and I quote " I mean they fly around the kitchen". If you want extra protein derived from insects than come here, if not, try somewhere else.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Terrific!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

Great food, terrific service, and they make you feel welcome. The specials are usually terrific as well

Visited January 2012
virginia beach, va
“The best tzatziki and greek salad in the area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2011

This restaurant is not a chain and is family owned. They have the freshest greek salad I have had in Hampton Roads....Be sure to try their tzatziki....

• Visited August 2011
Newtown, Connecticut
“Tasty food, good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2011

We recently decided to try out Yanni's after a friend recommended it. The restaurant is quite large, as it sits in a building once used as a Friendly's. After being greeted by the hostess we were seated near the bar by the windows. Our waiter was friendly; however, he asked us right away if we were ready to order. Having never been to this restaurant I needed some time to view the menu and he was a bit eager to take our orders. We ordered the hot feta appetizer, which was delicious, and the gyro (I ordered just the gyro, my husband ordered the platter. Both were delicious. For dessert I ordered the baklava... I'll be honest, I've had better. Overall, this was a good restaurant. Food was tasty, service was good, and we feel this would be a place that would stay pretty consistent in what to expect.

• Visited October 2011
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Nice departure from the normal area offerings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2011

Overall the experience was very good. Yes the restaurant is a converted Friendly's, buy hey recycling is all the rage these days. Server was very courteous, friendly, and very helpful in describing menu offerings, including the specials. We had the spanakopita as an appetizer and it wasn't quite what I had expected when compared to other the offerings of other local Greek restaurants. It wasn't presented as small, mini, phylo filled turnovers, but rather as a generous cake like slab that was relatively creamy from the cheese/spinach mixture and very satisfying. I had one of the specials which was a slow roasted lamb shank on a bed of orzo topped with a very light and tasty tomato/garlic sauce. The meat fell off the bone, tender and very tasty. The orzo was perfect. My wife had a chicken dish which was also very well seasoned and cooked perfectly. The restaurant's overall atmosphere is pleasing and relaxing, there is a bar and plenty of room to provide the right amount of space to enhance your dining experience. In my opinion, I think Yanni's is a bit pricier than other area Greek restaurants, but I was very satisfied with the portions and believe I got my money's worth. I live very close to Yanni's and it has gotten some mixed reviews among neighborhood residents as well as here on Trip Advisor and I will probably return again in the near future to try them again before making a decision if Yanni's is definitely a place I'd want to make more frequent visits to. But as a result of my recent experience, I give them a definite thumbs up and recommend you give them a try!

• Visited October 2011