“Great wings!”

Ranked #34 of 1,555 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: American, Mexican, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night
Description: Local favorite that is great for visitors as well. Great breakfast right on the water at the Rudee Inlet. Was recommended to us by some locals and overheard at least 2 other people telling other visitors to go there during our 5 day stay. Great lunch and dinners also that feature daily blackboard specials. All desserts are homemade. Seafood, fresh meats, produce and dairy are delivered fresh everyday.
Reviewed August 1, 2014

I have been to Big Sam's about 4 times in the last couple of years during business trips to Virginia Beach. Always great food, cold beer and the wings are fabulous!

Reviewed July 31, 2014

Prices were cheap, but we would have done better to come during happy hour. I think this would be a fun place to visit with a group of people for beer. Not terribly impressed by the food. Dirty. Not the worst bathroom I've ever been in, but this isn't a gas station either. Cheap plastic outdoor furniture instead of real chairs in the dining room. Located in Rudy Inlet, so we could walk or ride our bikes there from the boardwalk at Virginia Beach. Waitress was friendly. We had to wait for a table, but we drank a couple beers outside as we waited.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

I joined a few friends for beers and finger food at Big Sam's last night and had a great time. I usually don't go to the resort strip in the summer since it's so crowded but was coerced this time by friends visiting from out of town. I arrived a little late and my friends already had a table but the waitress was right there to get my drink order immediately, even though the place was hopping. Being a Sunday night at the beachfront, there was a substantial line at the door. Even so, my food arrived quickly and was great. I had the blackened tuna tacos with fries which went perfect with my beer. We stayed quite awhile as we only get together once a year. The place kept buzzing. The waitress was very attentive and never seemed put out that we stayed longer than we probably should have. We'll definitely come back as the food was good, the beer was cold, we could watch the sunset over the water and see the boats drift in and out of the inlet. Altogether a very pleasant evening.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

We absolutely love their twice-cooked wings, especially during happy hour. Great smoky flavor!
Laid back breach atmosphere where you can hang out on the deck & drink a PBR while you wait for your table! This place is always packed but the tables move quick!
We go back again and again!

1  Thank Deena B
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Last week I went there with my family and asked for a table of 4. We were told it was a 90 minute wait ... before they lost power and said it would be 30 minutes additional wait (had to relight the pilot light and start over). We consoled ourselves with drinks out on the deck (Orange Crush and Margarita for my beautiful wife, Coke to keep the kids going, and Tecate and lime for myself) and had 2 appetizers. The lobster claw and knuckle salad/fried green tomato stack is AMAZING! The wings were huge and the house sauce was just the right amount of spicy! We stayed for the entrees and enjoyed Big Sam's as much as we'd remembered. Good for kids or without, though a big group might have been impossible.