“gotten even better”

Ranked #25 of 1,465 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: American, Mexican, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner
Description: Local favorite that is great for visitors as well. Great breakfast right on the water at the Rudee Inlet. Was recommended to us by some locals and overheard at least 2 other people telling other visitors to go there during our 5 day stay. Great lunch and dinners also that feature daily blackboard specials. All desserts are homemade. Seafood, fresh meats, produce and dairy are delivered fresh everyday.
Reviewed June 27, 2013

went back to Big Sams several times on our 3 week vacation and the food and service were even better than we remembered. You must try to Crab Balls, chicken wings twice fried, and the raw tuna, all really outstanding. The service was wonderful and all these people have been there a long time, we had Stacey three times and she along with Amy, and Chris are great. Stacey knows her stuff and if asked a question she will tell you exactly what she thinks and she was spot on. She along with all the other servers really enhance the time you spend there

Sam C, Owner at Big Sam's Grill and Raw Bar, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Gary,
I would have to say that all of our servers are going to tell you like it is. Most have been with us for quite a while and we love them all. They work very hard. The double grilled wings have been gaining in popularity amongst locals and new customers alike. The tuna tataki is made using the freshest sushi grade tuna we can get. Good choice. The crab balls are a great way to get a sampling of our delicious local crabmeat. Thank you very much for the great review.

Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

I had Sam's burrito my wife had the omelette and my daughter had the french toast. We went mid morning so there was not a line to deal with. The food was awesome I would recommend this place for any meal you wish to have.

Sam C, Owner at Big Sam's Grill and Raw Bar, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Tim,
thanks for the nice review. We have a pretty loyal following for our breakfast and I am glad you and your family enjoyed everything.
Sam

Reviewed June 21, 2013

We weren't sure if we sat ourselves or needed to wait for a host because it took so long to even be greeted. The young man that did was horrible. Didn't tell a server we were there so waited another 10 minutes to even get water. Once our server was told we were there she was great! The calamari tasted fishy and really chewy. The tacos had NO flavor. Thank goodness their hamburgers were good and I ate half of my husbands! I won't be returning and I would suggest you try another place

Sam C, Owner at Big Sam's Grill and Raw Bar, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2013

Ashley,
I am very sorry that you were not greeted promptly upon entering Big Sam's. That should never happen. We are training our summer help that just got out of school. The calamari is one of our most popular appetizers and is delivered to us everyday, but Sunday. Calamari by it's very nature is a bit chewy. Not much we can do about that. We have 2 types of tacos, California with fried flounder or blackened tuna. I would like to know which one you had. Both also are very popular with our customers. Thank you for your review. I personally address all issues our customers may have in order to constantly improve our product, service and overall experience.

Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

I went here to wait for my son while he was parasailing. I ordered an appetizer and a glass of wine ( Chardonnay ). Appetizer was hot crab dip with pita bread it was suppose to be made with lump crab meat with big SAMs special spices. It was tasteless and there was no lump crab meat to be found. It didn't even taste like crab at all and for $10.99 a total rip off!! Even though the specials board read Chardonnay $3.99 a glass I was charged $6.50 for a small glass of wine , really small!! My bill was $18.78 including tax. Not including a tip. Very disappointing and disturbing! The atmosphere was none, I ask to seat by window for the view of the bay but when I sat down I either had to duck down or almost stand up to see cause there was thick wood between windows directly at eye level . So much for my much needed hour of relaxation. Instead it became a very expensive kink in my neck!!! Will never go back!

3  Thank Spaceyroni

Spaceyroni,
I am very sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience at Big Sam's. We always try to please our customers. Let me address your issues. We use jumbo lump local crabmeat in our crab dip and lots of it and we do not over power the flavor of the crab with to many spices. We do serve a $3.99 Chardonnay on Happy Hour. Of happy hour our chardonnay is $6.99 for a 7oz plus glass. Still not a bad deal. We are not on the Chesapeake Bay we are located on Rudee Inlet. 5 feet from it. it is possible to see it easily. The vast majority of our customers have no problem relaxing here. I am sorry that you did not. I know that we are very busy for the summer, but we remain a casual spot on the water. Thanks for your review.

Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Had a mix of adults and kids. Restaurant is small and they don't take reservations.

We had a party of 7 and waited about an hour. There is a small bar for the wait.

Calamari was good, fried. Fish tacos were tasty, would recommend. Daughter had shrimo, good size and not too spicy.

Service was good.

This is a good place if you have kids and don't want to pay a huge bill for an adult meal. They can get seafood or burgers. Plenty of choices for the adults as well.

Take the trolley to fifth street and then walk about 3 blocks across Pacific and the restaurant is on the left.

Plenty of fishing boats to look at as well.