“A long wait...”

Ranked #34 of 1,559 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: American, Mexican, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast
Description: Local favorite that is great for visitors as well. Great breakfast right on the water at the Rudee Inlet. Was recommended to us by some locals and overheard at least 2 other people telling other visitors to go there during our 5 day stay. Great lunch and dinners also that feature daily blackboard specials. All desserts are homemade. Seafood, fresh meats, produce and dairy are delivered fresh everyday.
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Our group of five went for lunch on a Friday afternoon. It was freezing outside so we had to wait in the tiny area just inside the door with three other parties. We were assured it would not be long.WRONG! After 30 minutes we sat and ordered drinks at the bar. My Malibu BayBreeze was good, but my friends were (4) were not happy with the limeade they ordered. After waiting 40 minutes we walked around and saw several empty , but clean tables, including one that would seat six. We asked for this table since the remaining waiting party were two gentlemen. They seated the two men at that table for six! Why seat them at that table when smaller tables were available and a large party was there waiting for such a table? The two men remained a party of two, by the way. After an hour, we were seated, we ordered salads, crab cake sandwiches, crab balls, fish, and she crab soup. All food was ok. Crab cake had ample crab and salad was good. Fish was ok. I would only go back if this was my only choice in the area AND there was no wait. We went in at 2 and did not leave till 4.

Sam C, Owner at Big Sam's Grill and Raw Bar, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Molliecollie,
I was working that day and remember it well. Friday was the start of the Shamrock Marathon weekend, which brings tens of thousands of people to the beach to start off the busy season. When you arrived at Big Sam's we had just gone from almost empty to completely full in less than 15 minutes and were on a wait for tables. We do not have any six tops in the dining room and we seat on a first come first serve basis even for my own family. That is why the two gentlemen were seated before you. I apologize for the long wait, but we had no control over when the tables seated before you were going to leave. The Limeaid is by far our most poplular and best selling drink. It is very simple to make and our best day bartender made them for your friends. You always have the option of having them made sweeter or anyway you want really. it is never a problem.
Thanks for giving us your business. We do very much appreciate it.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We tried this place because the prior evening the parking lot was packed. And this is the off season. Any way we received a friendly greeting and were seated immediately at a table overlooking the waterfront. We all had pancakes and sausage or bacon. The pancakes were plate sized (3) with good texture, light and as thick as your finger; just right. The sausage patties (2) were about 2 1/2 to 3 inches and quite thick with mild seasoning. Really good. The breakfasts cost $6.69 each, but are substantially cheaper before 9 am. They have a large gas fireplace which was going and putting out a good amount of heat. The windows all around the dining area open when appropriate. It's a hole in the wall kind of place, but Big Sam packs 'em in.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Well, we shoulda, since we live in town not too far from this restaurant. But somehow, probably because it is tucked away near a marina and doesn't boast a fancy exterior--this restaurant didn't attract our attention. But we were given a restaurant coupon as a Christmas gift and just decided to pop in on Valentine's night. Turns out Thursday Is Big Sam's sushi night (at a locals burger and fish joint, no less). Best ahi tuna I have had in this fish laden town---delicious seaweed salad and great choices of Japanese sushi. My meat and potatoes husband ate the ginormous hamburger topped with crabmeat -and seasoned fries. Turns out Wednesday is tapas night so we'll try that next. We spoke with Dave, the friendly down-to-earth manager who takes pride in the fact that the chefs are experienced and innovative. He says the owners want to put their money into quality foods and preparation rather than on a fancy exterior trim. ) Good choice. The interior, by the way has plenty of room yet feels "local-cozy" with a back room area with a fireplace--overlooking the boat slips near Rudee Inlet. So in a nutshell: lots of food variety--reasonably priced land well prepared, welcoming comforting interior overlooking boats and water, and super friendly staff/owners who take pride in their little gem. (With good reason. ) I usually write reviews of restaurants/properties that I visited during my travels. But guess what? A true " find" is in my own back yard! Who knew?

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Great local restaurant, they have the best buscuits and gravey I have ever had. I was also happy that they had quality coffee, it was not bitter and was bold and wonderful.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Best shrimp and grits ever! Drinks are reasonably priced. Fun to watch the activity in the marina. Very casual. okay to go after kayaking or paddle boarding.