“Don't order the Crab Cakes...stick with the wings and shrimp”

Big Sam's Grill and Raw Bar
Ranked #11 of 1,442 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: American, Mexican, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch
Description: Local favorite that is great for visitors as well. Great breakfast right on the water at the Rudee Inlet. Was recommended to us by some locals and overheard at least 2 other people telling other visitors to go there during our 5 day stay. Great lunch and dinners also that feature daily blackboard specials. All desserts are homemade. Seafood, fresh meats, produce and dairy are delivered fresh everyday.
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We eat at Big Sam's several times during our visits to Virginia Beach. We love the happy hour drink special, the wings and streamed shrimp specials.We decided to try the crab cakes (heard they were good), should have stayed with the wings and shrimp. First they were cold (not even luke-warm), tried to find crab meat,but it was all filler, for 25.99. Did not complain because they were busy and there was a screaming kid,we will stick to the wings and shrimp (which have always been good). Not that this the restaurant's fault..but why do parents bring young children and infants to a bar with nothing to do (no toys etc). It is irritating to other guests when they are screaming and crying and running around. And yes we are parents and when our daughter was younger...we had toys..books etc to keep here entertained.

1  Thank rockets77
Sam C, Owner at Big Sam's Grill and Raw Bar, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

rockets 77,
I am sorry that your crabcakes were served not hot enough. I wish that you would have sent them back. We would have corrected the situation. We make our crab cakes with local jumbo lump crab meat and about 1 tablespoon of breader per cake to hold them together while cooking. They are the real deal or my Uncle would kill me.I am very glad that you like the happy hour and visit us when in town. Thanks for the review.

There are newer reviews for Big Sam's Grill and Raw Bar

Reviewed August 3, 2012

Food was great but was set back by the local attitude towards tourist in their (SPOT). only thing i hated was the flies from the open air dining.

1  Thank Chuck S
Sam C, Owner at Big Sam's Grill and Raw Bar, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2012

Chuck,
real glad that you liked the food. It has been so hot this year that the flies have been a problem on certain days. We are doing everything in our power to keep them under control. The locals here love Big Sam's, but if you take a little time to chat with them they are all great people. It is this mix of locals and out of towners that makes Big Sam's a great place to eat and drink. Thanks for your feedback. It is always appreciated.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

My family and I love Big Sam's. The kids (3 and 5) love looking out the window at the boats. My husband and I love the drink specials. The kids had the penne pasta. It was really good. I had the fish tacos. So yummy. My husband had the crab cakes. OMG! They were out of this world. It was our best meal on vacation.

Sam C, Owner at Big Sam's Grill and Raw Bar, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2012

Tracimed,
We have drink specials all year long. Not just for the locals, but our out of town following as well. Glad you like them. I have 2 children and am happy that they like Big Sam's too..

Reviewed July 29, 2012

Arrived with spouse and adult daughter in Virginia Beach last night after a long drive. Concierge recommended this spot which is a local place only a couple of blocks walk from our accomodations. We ordered the hot crab dip which was very tasty to share. Hubby ordered shrimp tacos which he enjoyed and were served with a side of beans (which were flavourless) and some homemade salsa which was very good. Other choices of sides were available but those are the ones he chose. Daughter ordered a crab cake sandwich with coleslaw. She really enjoyed both. I ordered a shrimp burrito which came with a side of beans. Both the burrito and ther beans were flavourless. I was really disappointed with my meal.

Sam C, Owner at Big Sam's Grill and Raw Bar, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2012

Travellingsoulottowa,
glad you found us and that your family enjoyed their food. I am sorry that the shrimp burrito and the charra beans were not to your liking. They are popular items on the menu and we sell many of each. We toned down the spices on the charra beans to have a broader appeal. Thanks for your input.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

Not really worth the wait. Food was average seafood. wasted location without outside seating. Seems like old place.

Colorado 6966,
we serve local Chesapeake Bay seafood in it's freshest state and prepare it simply on the menu. The blackboard specials are where chefs have freedom to be as creative as they want to be. They are always delicious. We have no outside seating, but our dining room is right up on the water and we are only 16 years old and have a great following.