“Ocean Collections Cruise - a great diversion” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Virginia Aquarium & Marine Science Center

Virginia Aquarium & Marine Science Center
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A 300,000-gallon tank with sharks, rays, and other aquatic species, is the main atrtaction at this popular aquarium.
Glenolden, Pa.
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Ocean Collections Cruise - a great diversion”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2010

We took the Ocean Collections Cruise that is offered by the Aquarium. This was a big hit with our kids (9 and 7) and they found it very interesting. I enjoyed it as well and the staff were very well informed and you could tell they enjoyed teaching the kids. I'm glad we were able to do this during our stay - it was one of the highlights of our stay.

• Korean first
Centreville, Virginia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great place for Adults and Kids”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2010

We spent about 5 hours at the Aquarium and didn't have time to cover it all. It was great as both the teens and adults enjoyed the experience and even snuck in some learning activities for the kids ;) My 12 and 13 year old took the Behind the Scenes -Above and Beyond tour and had a good time. My 12 year old, who was initially reluctant, was full of new and exciting info when the tour was over. The Shark tank and Ray petting area are must sees. Next time I would probably save a bit of money by skipping the IMAX. Also be sure to get there early, before 10 AM to get the best parking and less lines. We finished our evening in Virginia Beach by taking the Dolphin Cruise which was sponsored by the Aquarium. We saw lots of dolphins and the Aquarium Volunteers and Staff were very informative. The down side was the Capt. reminding us about 20 times that thestaff worked for tips.

fairfax virginia
“good attraction..uneducated staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2010

The marine museum is probably the best way to spend a rainy day at Virginia beach. It is also a great alternative to those who need a break from the heat. The entire museum can be completed in 2-3 hours (longer if you do the imax movie). There are interactive exhibits for the kids and plenty to animals to observe. The staff unfortunately appeared to be college aged kids who seemed to be "hanging out" rather than guides. My husband asked basic questions about the animals such as "what do the horseshoe crab eat?" The answer they gave him was "sea life." We said thanks and walked away. The cafe is descent with friendly staff. Do remember your stroller for the little ones as there is a 10 minute walk between the 2 buildings.

Gaithersburg, MD
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Saw a pileated woodpecker”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2010

We came to Virginia Beach to meet up with our son. We are into science museums and aquaria and have been to a number. We enjoyed this museum. They have a nice collection of hands on models that I felt intriquing. (Note: I considered becoming a physical oceanographer, so I have some background on the subject.) I love when I learn something new - I learned that the largest impact crater in the US is in the Chespeake Bay Canyon. They had meterorites you could touch. My favorite animal is the sea otter. They had river otters. In the bird exhibit, they had a pileated wood pecker.

Morrisville, NY
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Virginia Aquarium & Marine Science Center & IMAX-fun but expensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2010

This was our first visit to the aquarium. The renovations were complete although the Komodo dragon display was closed because it was being repaired. The aquarium is very hands-on, allowing several opportunities for the kids to touch the wildlife. Since I also had an 18 month old with us, I also liked that many of the tanks went to the floor so he could easily see the fish and other animals. The volunteers were extremely knowledgeable. We spent most of our time at the Bay & Ocean Pavilion. The Marsh Pavilion doesn't have as many exhibits as the Bay & Ocean Pavilion. We also saw an IMAX 3D movie about dolphins and whales. The cost was about $8 more per ticket-a little pricy.

1 Thank Tphill24