“Great for adults and kids alike”

Virginia Aquarium & Marine Science Center
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: A 300,000-gallon tank with sharks, rays, and other aquatic species, is the main atrtaction at this popular aquarium.
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Make sure you go to the side with all the animals since there are two different buildings and you have to drive to each one. I loved it for all you can see. Make sure you have good walking shoes on and bring a camera for all the great pictures...

2  Thank Robin M
Write a ReviewReviews (2,891)

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Looking for something to do to kill an afternoon in Virginia Beach, my husband and I decided on the aquarium. We found it easily enough with ample parking (there are two lots; one next to the aquarium; one across the street). We entered the aquarium and quickly found the ticket booth. The tickets per person were $21.00 per person. We purchased our tickets and headed into the aquarium. Initially it took me some time to get used to it because it wasn't the typical walk around and look at the fish type museum. There are numerous hands-on activities for visitors to play with and many opportunities to learn about marine life. We left the playing to the kids, but read along some of the descriptives.

In the first building my favorite activities were pretending to touch the stingrays (most people touched them, I was too squeamish), the fish tunnel where you walk through with fish swimming above you, the baby turtle hatchery, and the sharks. There are a couple places where a bubble has been placed in exhibits so you can be "in" the exhibit with the animals.

We then walked to the other building through the nature trail. It is approximately a 10 minute walk, that is all flat. There are places to stop along the way to learn about various animals and the marshes. We chose to climb the tree tower, which allowed you to see around the marsh. We entered the other building and spent a good amount of time watching the otters. We then went into the rest of the building and checked out the exhibits. We honestly just liked looking at the animals (sad, but true!), but again many activities for kids. This building had less than the main building, but it had the otters. Before heading back to the car, we stopped and watched the otters again. They have two.

Completely recommend this for children and adults. Lots of stuff to do and the animals are fun and interesting.

4  Thank CMEDS
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

My Friend and I went to the aquarium for the first time. He had never seen an aquarium like this before. In my excitement for my Friend I went to purchase the tickets so we could get started. $42.00 for 2 adults. In the back of my mind was REALLY?! Okay, so here we go. I really wish I could describe the way my Friend looked sitting there in several areas in particular. One of the huge aquariums there had sharks in it. Another 1 had two very long aquariums, one on each side of the walkway, and another one had it built up from the sides rounded up over the top of the walkway. This one apparently had under water microphones for you to hear what the fish hear so it gave the sensation that you were in the water with them. All of these are inside the building. Before I left I inquired about a yearly pass. They even allowed the $42.00 I had paid that day towards the price.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

It was great seeing thing s that we have never seen before like a straw fish I believe it was called. A lot to see and take in.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great for kids big and small!!! I would highly reccommend going to all of the Aquarium and Marine Science Center including the gift shop - very nice place to visit and expecially during the hot months of July and August!