“Clean, comfy, and accommodating”

Hampton Inn Virginia Beach-Oceanfront South
Ranked #21 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Providence, Rhode Island
“Clean, comfy, and accommodating”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I have nothing but good things to say about Hampton inn. We thoroughly enjoyed the accommodations. The breakfast was great, above expectation, and the beach access was great. I found nothing I would change.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Melissa G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
Medford, NJ
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed in a double suite, room 1003 on the 10th floor. It was meticulously clean. The view through the double set of sliding doors was nothing but ocean and beach...beautiful! The beds were fresh and clean...even the duvets, which in other hotels we immediately toss to the floor because they never get washed. Bathroom was spotless, air smelled fresh, and extra pillows were in the room minutes after calling housekeeping. Indoor pool was clean. Lobby coffee available around the clock and fresh! We would stay here again and again.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank mom2a2
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We overall had a very good time. The good: On the beach, excellent view, clean & quiet rooms, wide selection variety for breakfast, and the staff was generally helpful. The bad: A false security/fire alarm was triggered 2:30 in the morning during our stay. I would have rated the Sleep Quality higher if this did not occur. I did see multiple security trucks at the hotel the next day, so at least the hotel was proactive at investigating the false alarm to the system. I understand basic economics (Supply vs. Demand) but unless I feel I am getting a really good deal on the cost, I rate this an average value.

Walnutport, United States
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Great hotel located right along the beach. The view from the rooms is wonderful. It was so nice to sit on the balcony and see and hear the ocean. Virginia Beach is great for families. The hotel has a really nice breakfast. Friendly helpful staff.

1 Thank Lisa H
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I have been generally pleased with my stays at Hampton Inns over the years and will continue to frequent the chain, but there were too many issues with my recent stay at the Hampton Inn Virginia Beach South to recommend this particular Hampton.

Starting with the positives: With the exception of being on the beach, this hotel is a standard Hampton Inn, which means that, while not luxurious, the rooms are clean and comfortable and you get Hampton’s standard, basic breakfast (as others have noted, the breakfast area is very crowded at peak hours). The staff was friendly and the location – right on the boardwalk/beach – is excellent, though there are many beachfront hotels on Virginia Beach from which to chose.

The issues:

1) The door to the closet in the room is a full length mirror on a hinge. Ours detached from the top hinge while my wife was gently closing it, causing the mirror to fall forward into the opposite wall and shatter. There were shards of glass everywhere, including in our suitcase. Luckily neither my wife nor children were injured. To their credit, the staff replaced the door and vacuumed up the glass within an hour, but the fact that they happened to have an extra door ready to go made me suspect this was not an isolated incident.

2) On one of the nights of our 4 night stay, the fire alarm went off at 3am. You will notice that other reviewers had the same issue. The alarm sounded for about 30 seconds, and then went silent. Unsure whether it was a true alarm, we called the front desk to ask if it was a real emergency, but no one answered. We left the building and sat on the boardwalk for about 15 minutes. During that time no one from the hotel came out to tell us what was happening or to let us know we could reenter. Eventually, people just started shuffling back into the hotel and we followed the crowd in. No announcement was ever made. No apology offered.

3) The garage set-up is awkward. It is a 5 story garage that sits behind and is connected to the 10 story hotel, but the garage itself does not have an elevator – you have to use the hotel elevator – and the door connecting each of the first 5 hotel floors to the garage is on the opposite end of the hotel as the elevator. So if, like me, you like to store your beach gear in your car so as not to take up space in your room and get sand all over, you have to either lug your gear up and down the garage stairs each day, or bring all of your sandy, wet beach gear into the main lobby of the hotel, use the guest elevators to get to the floor of the garage on which you parked, and then walk down the interior guest room hall to the opposite end of the building where the connecting door to the garage is located – making a sandy mess of the lobby and hallway on your way.

This was our first trip to Virginia Beach, so I cannot speak as to any of the other dozen hotels on the boardwalk. But I have to imagine there are better options.

3 Thank joni960
Naples, Florida
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I had booked an 8 day stay to visit my military based son. Had to change my departure date because he wouldn't be there. Hotel would not honor the rate I booked my first 4 days for even though checking in on same date. Staff was very unhelpful. Had to cancel my reservation and visit to son due to increase. Will not book here again.

Royal Oak, United States
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We went on a family vacation to Virginia Beach . The hotel staff was wonderful from the front desk to the housekeepers. The complimentary breakfast was actually pretty good. We good finitely stay there again.

1 Thank Mitzi M