“wonderful breakfast”

Hampton Inn Virginia Beach-Oceanfront South
Ranked #21 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Great hotel located right along the beach. The view from the rooms is wonderful. It was so nice to sit on the balcony and see and hear the ocean. Virginia Beach is great for families. The hotel has a really nice breakfast. Friendly helpful staff.

1  Thank Lisa H
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn Virginia Beach-Oceanfront South

Reviewed June 28, 2013

I have been generally pleased with my stays at Hampton Inns over the years and will continue to frequent the chain, but there were too many issues with my recent stay at the Hampton Inn Virginia Beach South to recommend this particular Hampton.

Starting with the positives: With the exception of being on the beach, this hotel is a standard Hampton Inn, which means that, while not luxurious, the rooms are clean and comfortable and you get Hampton’s standard, basic breakfast (as others have noted, the breakfast area is very crowded at peak hours). The staff was friendly and the location – right on the boardwalk/beach – is excellent, though there are many beachfront hotels on Virginia Beach from which to chose.

The issues:

1) The door to the closet in the room is a full length mirror on a hinge. Ours detached from the top hinge while my wife was gently closing it, causing the mirror to fall forward into the opposite wall and shatter. There were shards of glass everywhere, including in our suitcase. Luckily neither my wife nor children were injured. To their credit, the staff replaced the door and vacuumed up the glass within an hour, but the fact that they happened to have an extra door ready to go made me suspect this was not an isolated incident.

2) On one of the nights of our 4 night stay, the fire alarm went off at 3am. You will notice that other reviewers had the same issue. The alarm sounded for about 30 seconds, and then went silent. Unsure whether it was a true alarm, we called the front desk to ask if it was a real emergency, but no one answered. We left the building and sat on the boardwalk for about 15 minutes. During that time no one from the hotel came out to tell us what was happening or to let us know we could reenter. Eventually, people just started shuffling back into the hotel and we followed the crowd in. No announcement was ever made. No apology offered.

3) The garage set-up is awkward. It is a 5 story garage that sits behind and is connected to the 10 story hotel, but the garage itself does not have an elevator – you have to use the hotel elevator – and the door connecting each of the first 5 hotel floors to the garage is on the opposite end of the hotel as the elevator. So if, like me, you like to store your beach gear in your car so as not to take up space in your room and get sand all over, you have to either lug your gear up and down the garage stairs each day, or bring all of your sandy, wet beach gear into the main lobby of the hotel, use the guest elevators to get to the floor of the garage on which you parked, and then walk down the interior guest room hall to the opposite end of the building where the connecting door to the garage is located – making a sandy mess of the lobby and hallway on your way.

This was our first trip to Virginia Beach, so I cannot speak as to any of the other dozen hotels on the boardwalk. But I have to imagine there are better options.

3  Thank joni960
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I had booked an 8 day stay to visit my military based son. Had to change my departure date because he wouldn't be there. Hotel would not honor the rate I booked my first 4 days for even though checking in on same date. Staff was very unhelpful. Had to cancel my reservation and visit to son due to increase. Will not book here again.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

We went on a family vacation to Virginia Beach . The hotel staff was wonderful from the front desk to the housekeepers. The complimentary breakfast was actually pretty good. We good finitely stay there again.

1  Thank Mitzi M
Reviewed June 24, 2013

No bothers, no problems, just a nice room with a great view. Staff was all friendly and helpful. There were no hassles with people trying to sell vacation packages as with some other unnamed hotels in the region either. Breakfast had everything you'd want for a quick on-the-run and was a great way to start the day. A kind of odd check-in process was the only even slight issue - and it was not an issue (BTW, look for that one parking spot on Atlantic, instead of going straight into the parking garage if you're driving in). All in all, wish I was still there ;-)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Great sized room. Bathroom on medium size & nice. Mini fridge was more convenient than a compact. 3rd floor had a nice view which included 2 comfortable chairs(not the cheesy plastic ones) & a small table. We stayed 2 days and the staff was always friendly, eye contact, smiling and greeting us FIRST. We shared an elevator with a staff member, when she got on, noticed some goldfish snacks in the floor. Immediately she picked those up. I don't know how the breakfast staff kept up, because there were a lot of guests between 8:30 and 10,but NEVER saw an empty food container! Staff even opened the banquet room next to dining area for guests to eat in so we wouldn't be crowded in like a can of sardines. Pool was small with sign that read max occupancy is 11 people. Wished nice pool next door went with this hotel :( Hotel is on boardwalk. The corners in the parking garage are odd, but, allowed us to park on the floor of our stay, so, no hauling luggage through lobby(just through garage door with key, through fire exit door with key, and we were in our hall. Small gym, but workable with just a FEW people(but it stayed empty)Would stay here again.

Room Tip: If you want a great view of the ocean, don't stay on 2nd floor. No outdoor pool and small indoor...
Reviewed June 23, 2013

This hotel is not what the other reviews make it out to be. I was rather disappointed as a Gold Honors Member. We arrived early and room wasnt ready so we went to the beach, when we did check in I was told my credit card had expired, it was updated months ago through the Hilton Honors site, they changed the date on it and all was fine with that. Also as a member they usually offer you bottled water or something, nothing was offered, wasnt even greeted as a Honors member like usual. Elevators are very slow, and there is usually a crowd waiting to get on, there is only 2 so everyone in the hotel uses the same ones. Rooms are small the pictures on the hotel site are deceiving as they look like large rooms but are just a normal room, 2 beds, tv stand/dresser houses microwave and mini fridge. I asked for a high floor, got 3rd which I guess was ok but like being up higher, guess the good part about not getting a high floor was the slow elevator. Rooms are not stocked well, used a few tissues and then the box was empty, only tp was what was on roll, no extra. Windows and mirrors are pretty smeary, no big deal but you would think they would be clean, considering we had to wait until they cleaned it to check in.
Breakfast is not good at all: If you dont like sausage this isnt the place for you, sausage was on the menu every morning, sausage patties one day, links the next, omelets are not made there, they are the omelets that are pre-made and heated, it looked good but when you bit into it there was alot of water that came out, very gross and disgusting. Muffins, bagels, cereal, oatmeal, waffles, yogurt, nothing to brag about. Bag breakfasts at desk are never there, one morning out of the week we were there, there was one.
Parking garage is a nightmare, due to the fact there is only one way for cars to go up and down, a few times someone came flying up the ramp and I was right there, could have easily been hit, so then you have to back up somehow around the parked cars in order for someone to get past.
It is down toward the end where it is quieter on the streets, the singing and shows are up farther. The restaurant downstairs and the one next door does get pretty loud at night but if you are inside with the door shut you dont hear much, but on the balcony you definetely do.
Area where pool is is very HOT and pool had alot of sand in it. NO outdoor pool.
Nice hotel but not what people are raving about, not once did I have a pleasant experience to brag about an employee, I asked at the front desk for recommendations on places to eat other than the restaurant there and he told me one place, I stood there and waited and the one place was all that he ever mentioned. Also the carpet near the ice machine was soaked, literally water gushed around your shoes, I told them at the desk, they said someone must have spilled something, next day it was worse, told them again, ok we will check, next day told them again, then someone did vaccuum some water but never really tried to fix the problem, I personally dont want water gushing onto my feet out of hotel carpet, you never know who and what is in that carpet.
I honestly think the price of this hotel is way too high considering you can get a room at one of the other ones alot cheaper, the Springfield next door was actually about $20 cheaper and had a beautiful outdoor pool and large balconies, I wish I had stayed there now, but I cancelled that reservation thinking that being a Honors member I would have got some perks and from previous Hilton stays the uppgrades and experiences I have had I stuck with Hilton, now I wish I had went with the Marriott.

Room Tip: Dont get a room near the elevator or at the end of the hall, crowds are by the elevators and near th...
1  Thank wsesmom