“Pleasantly surprised”

Hampton Inn Virginia Beach-Oceanfront South
Ranked #19 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I'm a Hampton fan, but a major hotel snob, and I was warned that I would be disappointed in this hotel. Decided to give it a try anyway. The nay-sayers couldn't have been more wrong. We arrived early, and as it was a holiday weekend, I wasn't surprised that our room wasn't ready, but they gave us our parking pass and the 3 teenagers I was traveling with got to enjoy the beach for the afternoon. Got into the room around 3... the front desk seemed to be getting a little testy with my frequent "is the room ready yet" requests, but I was annoying as there really wasn't anywhere for me to hang out until the room was available. Room was upgraded to a suite, top floor... and it was BEYOND our expectations, almost too big for the 4 of us. Well done Hampton!!!!

There was LOUD live music coming from next door, but it ended each night somewhere between 10 and 11, however, with the balcony doors closed, and the A/C on, couldn't hear a thing.

Pros: parking garage (ease of parking and accessibility to rooms), breakfast, location, pleasant staff, being able to rent chairs and umbrellas on the beach, sparkling clean room

Cons: indoor pool size (capacity 11!!!!!), onsite restaurant (food was just OKAY), lack of a seating area to wait for rooms

2 Thank Littleskatersmom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I stayed here for three nights in late May. Check-in was quick and painless. I had a nice room on the 5th floor overlooking the ocean. The staff was very friendly. The complimentary breakfast in the morning was great. I didn't eat at the restaurant so I can't comment on that. All in all, I would highly recommend this property.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank bri5050
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We stayed for one night on Mothers day with 2 kids 5&3 year old. We enjoyed every sec of it and had a great time. Our room # was 317(corner room), which is perfect because it is attached to garage so it was super easy to move kids stuff from our van into room in less than 2 min. Just leave all heavy stuff in van like coolers etc, it was a change for us since we didn't have to clutter our room with all the kids toys/sodas/surf board.
Breakfast was great with everything you can imagine from fresh made waffles, eggs to fresh cut fruits. Again, our strategic room placement in hotel helped me greatly since I made many trips to my room by using stairs by the pool area to take breakfast for my kids ( cutoff time is 10:00AM, no way my kids would get up that early on a vacation) you can avoid elevator since it is right across from front desk. All rooms have decent size fridge & a microwave so just heat it up.
Pool was nice but a bit cold thou and no Jacuzzi on this property. Beach is right across from hotel with kids play area on sand, our guys hanged around that area most of time. On a check out day, Mr. Igor at front desk was very nice and gave me an extra hour to check out.

Room Tip: Our room # was 317(corner room), which is perfect because it is attached to garage so it was super e...
2 Thank sager K
Virginia
Reviewed May 12, 2012

I stay here for business often when pricing allows me. Rooms are always clean and all rooms are oceanfront. The breakfast in the morning is great considering it is included. The restuarant is not one I frequent. The food was not that great since my last visit to the restaurant which has been a while. The only thing I can say is if you have kids the pool is a big disappointment. It has a lot of blind spots, very ackward, and you have no room around the pool really to sit. It is very dangerous because someone could slip and fall in. I have never seen a hotel pool like this one before and I have been in hundreds of them. Gym is very small but nice. Other than the pool with no whirlpool due to lack of room, I really like this hotel. Great location with playset on the beach right in front of the hotel. Close to great restaurants and shopping.

1 Thank travelthearea
Bordentown, New Jersey
Reviewed May 11, 2012

From the time we check in things were good. They were friendly at this hotel. I must say all the workers were friendly.The room was a nice size with the two double beds. We never had a problem with anything during are stay.

Room Tip: Roomshave view of beach and ocean
2 Thank jim h
Hermitage, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 9, 2012

The first thing that hits you with this hotel is the shabby exterior - it looks old and outdated, and the parking area was filthy. I parked in the garage and instantly felt unsafe as I watched a man wait outside the hotel entrance (on an upper floor where you need a key card to get into the hotel). In the time it took me to get my bags, he waited and watched me and then went in when someone came out. Sure, it could have been completely innocent, but it seemed like he was just waiting there for someone to leave so he could get in.

The lobby of the hotel is small but looks like most other Hampton Inns I've seen. The check-in process took a while as there were three people waiting and only staff person. When I finally got to my room, I didn't notice anything but the view. The entier hotel has ocean front rooms, but I reserved a "premium view" room which I believe only means that it is on a higher floor. I was on the 7th floor and could not have asked for a better view. I dropped my bags and went straight for the balcony!

When I came back into the room, I was a bit surprised to see the condition of the space. It was dusty, old, and out dated. The TV cabinet had scratches and the TV was covered in dust and a few long strands of hair. The bathroom was also out dated, but clean. The corners of the room had cobwebs and dust as well. For the most part, I wasn't upset with the condition of the room, but at the rate this hotel charges, the room should be spotless - that includes cobwebs and dust.

The hotel is adjacent to a great little place to eat - The 11th Street Tap House. I went there for the ease of getting there and was happy with the decision. My drink was WAY over priced but the food was great. Well worth the money and certainly worth the walk through the lobby.

Breakfast wasn't bad, it was just like any other Hampton Inn breakfast I've had. I appreciated the ample amount of seeting, as well.

One thing to note - the rooms DO NOT have wireless internet access. They have hard-wired access, which is rare in many hotels these days.

Over all, I was happy with the perks of the hotel. You can't beat watching the sun rise over the Atlantic Ocean from your bed! Walking from the lobby to the beach was amazing.

Highlights - location, beach, view, view, view!
Negatives - parking security, internet access, dusty room

Would I stay here again? Only if I couldn't find a better ocean front room.

Room Tip: I believe the "premium view" rooms are the ones on higher floors. ALL rooms face the ocea...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Traci M
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed May 9, 2012

After checking all the reviews online available about this hotel, we decided to go with this location during our spring break above the local Hilton. With two young kids in tow, we figured it would be more family friendly and accomodating. After the first two minutes in our room, I went to put our bags in the closet. What looked like a large glass sliding door turned out to be a huge mirrored door on the hinge. PROBLEM is that it was on a hinge without any pin or mechanism to hold the door in place on the hinge. It was approx. a 8-9' ft. x 3-4'ft across. As soon as I opened it, my little toddler dashed under my arms, the door fell right off the hinge. LUCKILY, I dropped the bag and grabbed the door with my two hands. We called front desk. After 5-10 minutes two staff members let themselves in and walked in with their own card key - no knocking or "hello". They were as just freaked out as we were when we saw them in our room (we were sitting on the beds with our kids). They immediately gasped and ran out & THEN knocked and came back in. Jeepers. They sent a "maintenance" person who was an inexperienced young man. He couldn't figure out the hinge mechanism because it was obvious that the door was not a fit for the closet (it went past the frame of the closet when forced held shut) AND that it needed a pin or bolt to hold the door in place. The magnet on the door did not align with the closet frame either so the door remained ajar during the entire visit. After he fiddled around with it for 5-10 min., another guy walked in and told him his theory of fixing it...walked out. After another 5-10 minutes passed, he went to get a chair. Another 5 min. and he said he would return later to fix it. We waited and waited, and waited. Finally I left with my kids for the beach and my husband waited for another 40 minutes. He never came back. We just wanted to get on with our vacation. As I said before...the door remained ajar and were never sure if it was fixed properly or not. I made sure my kids never went close to the door. Housekeeping did not come around until 4PM on average. I asked front desk about their schedule and the lady upfront was like,"ma'am, they'll come around when they come around." We stayed out as long as we could to give them time and still every day it was around 4PM. The first day, it looked like my 2 year old had made the beds. They just threw the comforter haphazardly on the top of the bed - rumpled. The pillows were not rearranged. I even asked my husband if he thought they'd come around. I was not entirely sure by the way it looked. During the entire time, the same thick layer of dust remained on all the wood furniture (dresser, tv stand, etc). Having kids with allergies & asthma, it was truly disgusting. They did not replace toiletries...there was really no "housekeeping" involved. Even though I was on vacation, I was cleaning and organizing since I could not depend on the housekeeping staff. I usually leave one lump tip when we leave, but my husband said perhaps it was because we did not leave it the first day so he started leaving some money. Service changed just a tad thereafter - the bed was made but the dust remained. Really? I thought housekeeping was included. Note to potential guests: you have to tip daily here or there will be a "lack" of service. We had to pay up housekeeping additionally to our nightly rate. My husband always insists on leaving a good tip, but I was not to keen on doing it for this level (lack of) service. He still left it because he wanted the room in order, esp. with the kids. This was our 5-6th time in VA beach, and I don't recall jets flying over every 5 min. The heater/AC was like an old jalopy. It rattled and reved up to get started every 30 min. ALL DAY & NIGHT. I barely got 2-3 hours of sleep per night during our stay. And I can usually sleep through most noises. There are military bases and training facilities EVERYWHERE. I realize that. Just wanted to know if there was some sort of training exercise/event so we could possibly schedule our vacation accordingly next time. Ms. "I don't care" at the front desk delivered the same serving of daily attitude, "Ma'am I don't know their schedule and you realize there are bases around?" Did I ask her anything except if she knew of anything particular going on? Oh yeah, I asked her for some shampoo since housekeeping did not replace any. Said she had none & to ask housekeeping. Did I mention there's a plaque that says that you don't have to pay if you are not 100% satisfied. I was underwhelmed and minus 100% satisfied. I barely got any sleep for the 4 days we stayed. The glass door almost fell on me and my 2 year old. Dust everywhere. Noise in the room all day/night from the heater/AC unit (it was like 30-40 degrees every night so we had to have it on). Housekeeping was SLOW and poor. Front desk was nothing more than payment processing. I have been satisfied with my stays at Hamptons UNTIL now. We recently stayed at one in NYC and it was a very nice getaway. I needed 2+ weeks to recover from the lack of sleep and housekeeping I had to do on this vacation. I realize it's not a 4-5 star chain, but I have different expectations for different hotels. This one fell short of even Hampton Inn standards. I wonder how true they are to their 100% satisfaction policy. Whether busy or not, shouldn't a hotel have the same level of service anytime? Should not a hotel always deliver at full capacity? Will let you know what their response is.

What I liked about the hotel? Location.

Room Tip: Leave a daily tip for housekeeping. Ask them to dust, make the beds, and replace toiletries (someho...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family