“The owner is unpleasant!”
Review of Alamar Resort Inn

Alamar Resort Inn
Ranked #67 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
“The owner is unpleasant!”
Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is the worse! It charges $10 per extra person, the rooms are outdated and they smelled of mildew! The owner seemed nice over the phone but then shortly I noticed all she cared about was money and not making sure her customers were satisfied. I will never return to this hotel and I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed May 2014
6 Thank Brandon G
AlamarResort, Owner at Alamar Resort Inn, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
The Alamar Resort Inn has a policy that all guests must be 21 unless they are traveling with a
parent or guardian and this policy is posted on our website. This person was under 21 and we were not able to rent a room to them. This person was not a guest at the hotel and never entered the property.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed April 7, 2014

this was our third stay at the Alamar. The rooms are Very clean and spacious. We take our dog when we travel and found the owner very accomodating. She takes great pride in her hotel to ensure that the guest are comfortable and have a family environment. Entire area is very clean and well kept. GREAT PLACE TO STAY!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank robert g
AlamarResort, Owner at Alamar Resort Inn, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Thank you for your kind words . It is always a pleasure to see you !
Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

We came in July 2013. Yes the review is late but I tried my best to get this place out of my mind. When scheduling our summer trip for this year I thought about it again and would like to warn whoever I can to stay away from this place!!! I should have listened to the other reviews. Yes they are very nice over the phone when you are 1000 miles away. But it's a whole nother ball game when you get there. And amazing how a few reviews down the owner does not address the air conditioning issue but just that her hotel policy is $10 per extra person. This is definitely not a resort. This is an overpriced controlling privately owned crap hotel.
Let me tell you about my stay.
Im a cheer coach and needed a place off the main strip that was a larger room to get my cheerleaders ready. I have 100 girls but only some needed my help to get ready. We were coming in town for cheer nationals. I'm 28 but was unfortunately diagnosed with colon cancer and undergoing chemotherapy during that time. When we booked the hotel we also booked another room as my brother and his wife had my niece on the team so they stayed at the same hotel. We checked in and went to our room on the second floor. Only to find out they had booked us next to my brother. No problem. The problem came that the template controls were in his room. So if we were hot-which I was a lot because of the chemo medicine that we had to ask them to turn their air down too and that's not acceptable!!! We paid full price for two rooms. Basically they had stick us in a connecting room with no air control! Absolutely not!! When we went back to the front desk the owner acted as though I was inconveniencing her. Finally after long deliberation she moved us. The room was okay but not updated. Which was no big deal. This was not our vacation. We were leaving after the competition to head over to Myrtle Beach to stay at an actual resort. After unloading all of our luggage I walked down to park the car. My mom Amd my aunt had surprised me knowing I was weak and tired from the chemo to get the girls ready Amd help me with my 4 year old. My mom offered to get a room but I told her that was silly since we had already rented a one bedroom with a pullout sofa. My husband, myself, and I in the king bed as I had planned and my mom and aunt could stay on the pullout sofa. My little brother had come too but he was staying with a friend of ours on the beach. He was just coming to our room to hand with us for the day. I went to the front desk to ask where my mom could park and the owner tells me no guests are allowed. It's $10 per person per day! Plus $10 per parking if there was room when we came back. If there was not room she would have to find her own parking and no refund on her $10 parking she paid for? I get it I read the policy. Extra guests extra money but have a little compassion. It wasn't about the money really. It was about the atmosphere and attitude of the whole place. I didn't want to give h the extra money. I would rather give it to the homeless guess roaming around outside the hotel.
This is the best part. I was telling one of the cheerleaders to meet me at my room at 9am to put her hairpiece and bow in and the owner waited until I was off the call and reminded me that no guests were allowed and its $10 per visitor!! So needless to say I did not even get to get the girls ready. We used another parents room down the street and they had paid way less for their room and not micromanaged the whole time they were there. I know this owner thinks she is doing herself a favor but all she is doing is making guests never want to return! Do yourself a favor and steer clear of this place!

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank Cheermama1985
The Alamar Resort Inn is a privately owned hotel in the resort area of Virginia Beach and our
focus is on providing a family environment for our guests.

This guest booked for the cheerleading competition weekend which is a sold out weekend every year. Our rates are based on the number of guests, with a maximum of 4 guest per room, and, includes 1 parking space. This guest booked a two bedroom suite which is a suite that adjoins with a standard room. After checking in, this guest wanted to change her room, and , we were happy to accommodate, and , did so as quickly as we could on such a very busy weekend. We tried our very best to please this guest and fulfilled every request that was made.

We have rules and policies in place in order to maintain a family environment. We are very protective of our family environment , and, it is our right, and, responsibility to know who is on the property at all times. We have many repeat guests and many referrals because The Alamar Resort Inn is dedicated to maintaining a clean. quiet and family oriented hotel.
Anderson, South Carolina
Reviewed November 5, 2013

We have stayed at the Alamar many times and it is the only place we stay at when visiting Virginia Beach. Our family loves the clean, quiet rooms and the salt water pool is perfect for when we come back from a day at the beach. The owners have always been very attentive and professional and do what ever they can to make our stay great. Highly recommend !!

Room Tip: Owners can help with restaurant recommendations and things to do.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Sara M
Thank you for staying with us , again, and for your kind words!
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed October 7, 2013

We usually stop at VA Beach for a night or two on the way to the OBX. I chose the Alamar because it was pet friendly. There were not a lot of hotels to chose from due to it being The Neptune Festival. We arrived at 12:45. Check in is at 3. I was told I could not check in until 3. Ok, I get the fact that it is clearly stated on the website that check in is at 3. I guess I 'am just used to all the other hotels I have stayed at in the past in VA Beach being more than happy to let us check in a couple hours early. Here's the kicker: When I asked if we could hang out by the pool for a while before check in, I was told no. I then asked "you just saw my reservation on your computer so I 'am obviously staying here & I can't sit by the pool until check in. Her reply was "I'm sorry, but I don't make the rules.
After finally checking in, I found out what a pain parking turned out to be. There is only parking for a few cars in front of the hotel. You can park in front of the hotel for 15 minutes to check in/unload. If you are not able to get a parking place in front you have to park in their lot about a 100 feet or so down the street. No big deal. Here's the kicker to this one. They don't give you any type of parking pass to put in your vehicles window. I was lucky enough to get the last parking space in this lot. I find it hard to believe every vehicle in this lot was staying at the hotel, especially with Neptune Festival taking place. So I asked the question about why there are no parking passes to hang from your vehicles mirror. I was told that they used to do that but they don't any more. I then asked "how do you know if every car in the lot is staying at this hotel?" Her reply was "there is a sign that says Alamar Resort parking only" I'm sure that will really deter people from parking there, especially during weekend events.
Now for the room. Actually, the room was decent. There is no elevator. Fortunately we had a room on the first floor & were only there for 1 night. We didn't have to take everything into our room. I would not want to be on the 2nd or 3rd floor & have to lug everything up the stairs. Our only issues with the room were the walls being a little thin especially when a toilet in the next room was flushed. The other issue was when my wife went turn on the air conditioner in the middle of the night, she couldn't find it. There isn't an individual thermostat in every room. We found this a bit archaic.
I would probably not stay here again. I have stayed at the pet friendly Red Roof Inn several blocks away, but I didn't realize it was Neptune Festival when I called them & they were booked up. Next time I will make my reservation earlier with the Red Roof Inn so as to avoid staying at the Alamar "Resort" Inn.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank buster2929
We are always happy to check guests in early whenever possible. As this guest stated, it was
Neptune Festival Weekend, which is a big weekend in Virginia Beach, and, we were sold out.
However, their room was prepared and ready for them at 2:30. We were pleased to be able to have the room ready early for this guest.

We always want to do whatever we can to make our guests stays as
enjoyable and memorable as possible.
maryland
Reviewed September 29, 2013

This is out first time in this hotel. We chose this for the price and was pleasantly surprised with the rest of it.
Pros: Location can either be good or bad depending on your needs. Since we came on an off season just for the Neptune Festival, this location is perfect. It is close enough to the beach (2 blocks) yet far away from all the noise. I would not stay here in the summer when we intend to swim because it will be a hike to bring all beach stuff and my family likes to wake up to the sound of the waves and eat breakfast on an oceanfront balcony. The customer service was excellent. The rooms does not have individual AC but the thermostat was adjusted whem we requested. I cant imagine what they do when theres a lot of guests with different comfort level on thermostat. This hotel is within walking distance on everything. 7-11 is a block away. The room has a fridge and microwave. Bring your own utensils.
Con: nothing major. The room has thin walls. The sound of toilet flushing next door sounded like it was from our room. No elevator either! Hike to the third floor!!! Again, we were there for two nights so we didnt have a lot of luggage or beach stuff. I can imagine this will be a problem on peak season or longer stay. No private balcony but a commin balcony facing the pool right outside our door.
Overall we enjoyed our stat. We will probably come back for next year's Neptune Festival. Probably not for the summer...

• Stayed September 2013
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed September 22, 2013

It is very difficult to find reviews for handicapped travelers.
Let me start this review by telling you about myself. I’m a 45 Y.O. female. I’ve had extensive spinal surgery with significant titanium implantation. I use a cane with assistance to walk and a wheelchair for longer trips.

I was traveling with my husband and 14 year old son. We were only attending an event in Virginia Beach, VA that required an overnight stay. I thought well....rather than stay at a 4 or 5 star hotel, as I usually do, let's try a "Mom and Pop" type of place. MISTAKE....BIG mistake.

The check-in was done at the owner's pace. She wasn't outgoing or talkative. She did have a dog with her ~ for those of you with allergies. Even though we booked a room with 2 queen beds, we had to pay an addition $10 for my son to stay with us. We were on the ground floor, just like we asked. The room was clean but was in need of an update.

There were 2 beds, each had a saggy mattresses. Each bed had 4 pillows that were pretty much useless, nothing but puff that offered no head/neck support. The room had sparse cheap supplies. No hairdryer. We had to ask for bath towels.

The BIGGEST problem was that THERE WAS NO INDIVIDUAL CONTROL OF THE AC IN YOUR ROOM!!!

The room was stuffy when we first got there. Unable to find the control to make it cooler, my husband called the front desk. He was told that the front desk controlled the A/C!! WHAT!! However, they did turn it up.
When it was time to go to bed, I was having difficulty breathing. I do have COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease). When my husband called the front desk it rang and no one picked up. When they called us back we asked to lower our A/C my husband was told the office had nothing to do with it. Room 102 controlled the A/C for our room 103!
The office said they would call room 102 and ask if they minded turning the temp. down.

After not much success with room 102 we asked to be moved to another room with A/C we could control ourselves. An older man knocked on our door wearing a tank top type of t-shirt and pants. Nothing to identify him as a hotel employee. He offered to put us in another room, on the 2nd floor and said he was going to control the A/C because “”You people” might turn it down to 60 and freeze up the compressor”. Due to the late hour, my son sleeping and the tone of the “employee” we declined to move.

The next morning when we turned in our one and only room key. Management said nothing to us.

Enjoy your beach visit!...opt for a different hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Melissa B
AlamarResort, Owner at Alamar Resort Inn, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
We appreciate this guest's complements on our room's cleanliness. Our staff works hard to make certain that each guest has a nice , clean room to enjoy. We, also, appreciate this guest acknowledging that their 1st floor room request was taken care of. Our guests are our priority and we try to honor special requests whenever possible.

This reservation was made online for 2 guests with hotel policies stated under important information. Hotel rates are always based on the number of people, and, at check-in, this guest stated that she was traveling with her husband and 14 year old son. As stated in our polices, guests under 12 have no fee so a $10.00 fee for the 3rd person was applied. When this guest became angry at the rate increase, we referred her to the polices stated on her online reservation information.

At check-in , we were welcoming and cordial as we are with all of our guests. We are in the hospitality business because we enjoy people. Our rooms are decorated in Queen Anne Style furnishings and detailed pictures of our rooms are available on our website. We receive many complements from our guests who enjoy the comfort , size and style of our rooms. We supply our rooms with toiletries, towels and coffee with hair dryers available. When this guest requested extra towels, they were promptly supplied.

Unfortunately, and, to our regret, sometimes no matter what we do , there will be occasions when a guest is not happy. When this guest's rate was adjusted properly for the number of people in her party, she became angry, and , from that point on, we could do virtually nothing right in her eyes. Every request made by this guest was honored promptly and this guest was treated with the utmost courtesy and professionalism throughout her stay.

The Alamar Resort Inn is a clean, quiet and family oriented hotel and we always strive for our guests to have the best stay possible.