“Not the friendliest but decent.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alamar Resort Inn

Alamar Resort Inn
Ranked #55 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Boston, Pennsylvania
“Not the friendliest but decent.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stayed Monday through Friday and the place was quiet and comfortable. We had a one bedroom suite. Pros for this place was location, plenty of hot water and good water pressure, and the refrigerator was spotless. The saltwater pool was nice, along with the rooftop and second floor decks. The rooms were nice sized and for a family of 4 we did not feel cramped.

The cons were quite a few. First there not being a safe in the room and no chain lock (or other device) to lock the door other than the handle and deadbolt that had a key hole in the front. I prefer a way to lock the door where someone canot enter by key considering I have children. Second were the roaches. Granted I only found 2 and the owners must have been aware considering the pest control man came by to check back from a previous visit, it still was rather gross. For a "full" kitchen they didn't even have a toaster. Our dishwasher broke on the second day we were there after our housekeeper was so nice to do our dishes (as I had read about in other posts and found a bonus). When I went to the office to let them know that we had come back to a floor filled with soapy water I was interrogated by who I can only assume was Tina. She was very upset the housekeeper did the dishes and was rather rude about the whole incident. To her defense she did ring the room within minutes to apologize. However they never bothered to even look at/fix the dishwasher. They lock the door to the washers and dryers (and the ice machine that doesn't work) at night without warning - leaving us running late the next day while we dried our laundry that sat in the washer overnight. No TV in the bedroom was another negative.

We are the easy going type. If not I'm sure this stay wouldn't have been as good. However my husband and I agreed we wouldn't return to this establishment. We didn't feel welcome or appreciated while patronizing this establishment. Combining that with the other negatives it's worth trying somewhere else

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Latisha I
AlamarResort, Owner at Alamar Resort Inn, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
We appreciate this guests's complements on our comfortable , spacious and quiet hotel as well as our observation decks, outdoor saltwater pool and location. The Alamar is a 2 minute walk to the middle of the boardwalk and beach area which makes it a great access point for our guests. Our wonderful staff works hard to provide very nice and very clean accommodations for our guests and we appreciate this guest's acknowledgement of their efforts.

The Alamar Resort Inn is a family owned and family oriented hotel and is very safe and secure because it matters to us and we make it so. We care very much about all of this guests comments and want to address each item mentioned, While checking this guest in, we had a cordial and friendly conversation about Va Bch, things to do and a sushi restaurant recommendation. We spoke to them several times during their stay and they told us they were having a great time and no mention was made about having any concerns. We are proactive about pest prevention and have a weekly green treatment done in all of the rooms. Guest's cleanliness and what they may bring from home in their luggage makes regular treatment a must. Our housekeeper was concerned about all of the dirty dishes and pots with food on them left out in this guest's room so she extended this guest the extra courtesy service of cleaning the kitchen of their suite. Our housekeeper inadvertently did not latch the dishwasher completely and when this was discovered she immediately went back to the room , apologized and took care of the issue. Our guest laundry is locked at 10pm and reopened at 8 am. We would have gladly re-opened it if this guest had contacted the front desk to let us know that their laundry was still in the washer from early afternoon. The ice machine does work, but, sometimes may take a little while to replenish if a guest has filled up their ice chest. This guest had a suite and the television is in the living room and a second television for the bedroom and a toaster was just a phone call away. Guests don't all have the same needs so we tailor each guest's stay to fit their wishes. We are always available and responsive when given the opportunity.

The Alamar Resort Resort Inn wants all of it's guests to have as wonderful and memorable a vacation as possible. We thank this guest for staying with us and hope that they choose to stay with us again and if they do we will welcome them with open arms.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Rixeyville, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

This was our fourth year here and we plan to return next year. We always appreciate the spacious room, friendly owners, and beautiful pool. The standout feature this year was the very attentive service we received from the housekeeping staff. I admit that I often forget to leave a tip for housekeeping when I stay in any hotel, I'm usually absorbed in packing. This year I made sure I left something for these hard working and friendly housekeepers. I also loved the new countertop in "my" room.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank quetzalmom
Altamonte Springs, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

I needed a last minute hotel for one night with my flight being cancelled. Pulled up to this clean and neatly decored hotel and was greeted with a smile. Priced very resonable for being beach side; however just across from boardwalk. Very clean refreshing pool and rooms! Great refrigerator and microwave in room.Moreover; they extended my check out with no extra charge and let me stay parked in their parking while I spent a few hours beachside where it's $20 to park. Overall I would definately recommend staying here to anyone.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank bernadettemaier8
Goldsboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

i have stayed at many hotels at the beaches and for this being a smaller one it had a great room the staff was very friendly and overready to help if needed. would stay again if space is available. close to the beach area and they have a pool.

Room Tip: book in advance
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank annabels4u2
Chase City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

We were there Memorial Day weekend and really enjoyed our stay at Alamar Resort Inn. The rooms were very clean and the management and staff were very nice and helpful. Very nice, clean, family oriented place to stay. A short walk to the beach, we will stay there again. Thanks for making our stay a nice one.

Brian & Teresa Morris

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Brian M
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

I would not recommend this hotel. The room and bathroom looked clean but smelled musty and mildewy. Found a roach in the bathroom. The pool was nice, and the hotel was convenient to the beach. They were very paranoid about visitors. Vent in bathroom was extremely loud. After getting ready for bed, I was asked to move my car from spaces that were supposedly check-in only (no sign indicating this) but after the manager left, others parked in these spaces.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank GJW409
AlamarResort, Owner at Alamar Resort Inn, responded to this review, June 2, 2012
We appreciate this guest's compliments on our clean room and bathroom. Our wonderful staff works very hard to provide very nice and very clean accomodations for our guests.

This reservation was made and paid for by this guest's father and the choice of room location was made by the guest's father because they have a small child. At check-in we explained , as
we do to all of our guest's, that they may stay in check-in parking while they unload their belongings and then they should move to permanent parking. When this guest did not relocate
their vehicle, we called the room and asked them to do so. It was about 5 p.m. when we called
and they apologized and immediately came out and moved their vehicle. The only vehicles that are allowed to stay in check-in parking are handicap vehicles.

After moving their car, we approached this guest to give them the doll that their little daughter had left in our office at check-in and at that time their inquired about changing rooms. They wanted a room in the center of the hotel because they did not like being in the corner. This was Memorial Weekend and we were completely booked so we did not have another room available. This guest was very angry and frustrated that their request could not be accomodated. Our guest's happiness and enjoyment during their stay is very important to us, but, unfortunately, our hands were tied in this instance.

Our rooms are clean (as this guest stated) and are not at all musty and our rooms ABSOLUTELY do not have roachs. There comments simply are not true. However, it is indeed true that bathroom exhaust fans are noisy.

We did not have a conversation with this guests about visitors, but, our check-in form does state that unregistered guests are only allowed with management permission. We are very protective our our family oriented environment and that policy is important in maintaining that environment. It is our right and , in fact, our responsibility to know who is on the property at all times. We have many repeat guests and many referrals because The Alamar Resort Inn is dedicated to maintaining a clean, quiet and family oriented hotel.
Washington, D.C.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2012

Arrival Date: 5/19/12
Departure Date: 5/20/12

Recommend: No
Reason: Embarrising Lack of Tact/Professional Etiquite from manager (Earnie).

To all,

Such as you; I had read the ratings of Alamar; some sounded good, some sounded bad.
I have also read the managers comments to the bad ones and decided to give Alamar a try.

I made a reservation two days before my arrival.
Two adult family members and two friends of ours (all couples) were visiting Virginia Beach. We all are from different states and were also staying in a different hotel.

We planned during our stay at Virginia Beach that we would go out to dinner. After dinner, we then would come to my suite at the Alamar.

One item in Alamars customer contract state " No Visitors without Management Permission". What?? (Red Flag)

You will only find this out when you arrive at check-in (the website does not have reference their rules). By that time; you'd probably say 'I'm here now' no use of looking for another hotel.

Following the rules; I contacted the manager on duty (Tina) at the office; mentioned to her that I will have guess, she asked "how many" and " how long are they going to stay". I said four and they will most likely stay about a couple of hours.

After dinner; around 8 pm, my visitors stopped by my suite as planned. While we were walking pass the check-in office preceding up the stairs; Earnie (the other manager) quickly comes out of the office door and shouts " who are these people". What a very embarrising moment. My guesss (four people) all between the ages of 57 and 63. They looked at him and wondered what in the world was going on. Feeling so embarrised; I could not even think of an excuse to tell my guess why this establisments representative acted that way. No excuse at all. He was informed as stated by (Tina) per converation, prior to checkout.

When renting a room, suite etc. you should have the flexibility to have a home away from home,
have reasonable guess, and not to be embarrised by hotel representatives asking, especially in front of your guess if at all "Who are these people". They are your vistors. Especially after following the rules that "No Visitors without Management Permission" that you only find out at check-in; with a three week written notice required to change or cancel a reservation (this is found out at check-in too; or by calling (Red Flags)). Even as I write this review; I still do not believe this happend. Establishments should be glad have your business; but of course,
there are a few who does not get it in now days and times or either do I not get it.

Well, this I will not accept. This is the reason for this bad review of this establishment.

This incident really made my trip to Virginia Beach an unpleasant one; and a memory that I will remember about this establishment.

I will not recommend this hotel for the following reasons:

1) Unprofessional customer service from hotel respresentative/manager Earnie.

2) Rule #2 on their 'Not Allowed' section on the contract:
"No Vistors Without Management Permission"

3) Parking: Of a total of about eight parking spaces in front of the motel;
only four are for guest; the other for are reserved for arriving vistors, even
after the office is closed which is about no later than 6 pm.
After 6 pm the reaming four (arriving visitor parking spaces) are not occupied.
There is an additional parking lot on the other side of a house next to the hotel
where you will not be able to see your vehicle.

Look out for the reply from this hotel, One is coming as with the previous bad ratings.
I should have taken heed. I have taken this blow from this establishment and have communicated it to you. Even a refund will not cause me to change this rating.

There are other nice hotels in Virginia Beach where you can have the stress free, non-embarissing customer service. Again, I DO NOT recommend this establishment.

Please enjoy your stay at Virginia Beach

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
12 Thank BeTheBest_1234
AlamarResort, Owner at Alamar Resort Inn, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
This guest called to make a reservation and was very complimentary about the reviews they
had read online and was interested in making a reservation. After discussing our accomodations, this guest decided to book a standard room.

On the day of their reservation, they arrived early in the morning and we gave them an early parking permit. We recommended a breakfast restaurant and they left to go to have breakfast.

After breakfast they returned to the hotel around 11:00. Our check-in time is 3:00pm, but, since the room was ready, we were pleased give them an early check-in as an extra courtesy. As we were checking them in, they had a seat in our lobby for about 20 minutes and we had a lovely visit with them. Before check-in was completed, they inquired about changing their reservation to a suite instead of a standard room. Their reservation was modified to a suite to accomodate their request.

A little while later, they were seated outside on our second floor observaton deck enjoying the beautiful day. They commented to our day manager on how large the suite was and that it was very comfortable and that they were enjoying their stay.

About an hour later, this guest inquired about having visitors. We are a quiet, family oriented hotel and very protective of our family atmosphere and reputation so we make it a point to monitor who is on the property. This guest stated that he would like to have 2 visitors and that they would be gone by 11:00pm. Generally, we do not allow unregistered guests after 10:00pm. but, we made a special accomodation for this guest.

Around 8:00pm the night manager saw 6 people coming in the gate that he did not recognize so he opened the office door and said " Excuse me, may I help you?". A man in the group said to the others " I got this." and entered the office. The man introduced himself to the night manager and said that he had spoken to the day manager about having guests until 11:00pm. Although our policy is no unregistered guests after 10 p.m.and they had 4 visitors rather than the 2 visitors that we were expecting and a second car , we made all of these additional courtesy accomodations. This brief exchange between the night manager and this guest took place in the office while the others were outside and lasted no more 45 seconds.

The next morning at check-out this guest stated that he was dissatified with the night manager and the day manager explained that we always monitor the property and the night manager had not checked this guest in and did not know who they were. The quiet and family oriented environment of our hotel can only happen by having rules in place and they are for the good of all of our guests. It is our hope that upon furthur reflection, this guest will remember all of our efforts and all of their compliments, If they were ever to come back to The Alamar , and we hope they do, we will welcome them with open arms.