“A Gem in Virgina Beach”

Ranked #67 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Maryland
“A Gem in Virgina Beach”
Reviewed January 26, 2008

We stayed at the Alamar for 3 days last summer. We had never been to VA beach and the choice of hotels was overwhelming. The reviews on this website were favorable and I liked the idea that it was a smaller hotel. It was truly a great choice. It is only a few blocks to the beach, which was great with small children. The room was clean and nicely furnished. The small refrigerator in the room and laundry on site was convenient. We would definitely return to the Alamar.

Stayed July 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Michigan
Reviewed October 3, 2007

We were in Virginia Beach for a national dance competition. As you can guess, the hotels were booked solid. Of course, we were looking for an oceanfront hotel but the prices were well out of our range. We stumbled upon the Alamar Resort Inn and I'm glad we did. Turns out, staying at the Alamar Resort Inn was perfect! We were 1-1/2 blocks away from the ocean. We walked to the beach/boardwalk everyday. At night, we walked to Atlantic Street (happenin' street). We walked everywhere and just left our vehicle parked at the Inn. The kids just loved the pool. The staff invited us to the rooftop to watch the fireworks - best view in the city! The staff was very friendly & accommodating and certainly made us feel "at home"! Clean rooms, friendly staff, quiet environment, close proximity to beach, all at reasonable prices will insure another visit to Alamar Resort Inn!!

Stayed July 2007
Aalborg, Denmark
Reviewed September 30, 2007

Stayed 5 days at the Alamar in august. Was actually booked for springhill suites but changed plans and had to switch to Alamar.

We loved staying at the Alamar. Its clean, the location is cool and the pool was exellent. We paid 119$ pr. night and since the hotel is well-kept its a bargain.

The staff is nice and very helpfull. Go there instead of paying 200-300 $ at the boardwalk.

• Liked — The Pool
3 Thank bholst
San Diego, California
Reviewed September 23, 2007

Chose the motel after reading many reviews depicting it as a quiet, clean, inexpensive motel hosting the retired RV crowd.

I wasn't surprised by anything. It was a bit like staying at the in-laws empty guest room (furnished the same), but with a nice pool. This is actually just what we needed with small kids (and the mother in law in tow). For the price, I could afford a double suite on the end so that we had plenty of room and didn't worry so much about our noisy kids.

The management was helpful and wanted us to be pleased. They went easy on me with my loose regard for the hotel rules, which I appreciated. I could do laundry almost anytime (things do close up early) and could have a beer by the pool, both pleasing. The ac was a bit clumsy and not too cold, but we understood there's not much you can do in revamping an older place.

Beach access is easy as long as you are aware of drunken beach kids racing down the drag. I never felt unsafe at or around the motel. A good drugstore is just around the corner, which came in handy.

As long as the prices stay low, I might stay again if back in town with the fam. I suspect that the hi-rise hotels are lousy in the area based on similar experience and tons of reviews.

• Liked — Value
  • Disliked — Decor
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
DE
Reviewed September 9, 2007

When we came to VA Beach, we have had no reservation for any hotel. It was late, around 11 pm. We drove around to find a nice place to stay for 10 nights. At 16th street, i looked to my right and there it was: The Alamar Resort Inn. At first sight, it looked very very good to us and we decided to stay here. It was a good decision. The Alamar is very clean, quiet and conviniently located (one block from the beach). The staff is very friendly and always gives a helping hand. We are from Germany: To find a place like this, was just good luck for us. We will most probably come back.

1 Thank martinamv
MD
Reviewed August 28, 2007

The Alamar was ok. I stayed there on a recommendation of someone who stayed two years prior. I visited with my two small children (age 9 months and 4) and cousin Aug 26- 29. We got there Sunday afternooon and left Tuesday evening around 7PM. The BIGGEST deal was there were some ants in our room. I noticed three of them when we checked in in the shower area near the drain. On Tuesday afternoon after we came from the beach six of them were sited in the bedroom area. They did come in a spray for them. The young man doing housekeeping said it was a "common" problem in VA Beach. We stayed in room 306,a one bedroom apt. Having a small child, I needed a microwave, refrigerator etc. Another big pain was carrying all of our stuff upstairs and bringing it down. I probably should have requested a ground floor had I thought about it. The pool was very nice and it is a short walk to the beach but not anything to worry about. I paid $96.00 before tax per night as I was told it was a special for end of August since it's the slow season. Management is responsive however could be a bit more friendly. You definitley get a diverse mix of people there. Overall, it was ok but I would not stay again due to the ants for sure! They were tiny ants but still ants!!
Mom of two small kids/ MD

• Liked — Pool, proximity
  • Disliked — Ants, No elevator
2 Thank VeeVeeMd
Burton, OH
Reviewed August 27, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Alamar for 4 nights. It was very clean, comfortable and quiet. The pool was a little small but was never crowded which was nice. I would have liked for it to be open later than 10pm though. It is 2 short blocks from the ocean front but nicer than most of the other hotels. If we come back to Virginia Beach we would stay here again.

• Liked — close walking distance to the boadwalk and pier
  • Disliked — pool closed too early, decor a bit out dated
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple