“Beautiful ocean view Great location”

Ramada Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Ranked #34 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed September 29, 2010

We stayed on the 5th floor, Oceanfront double. Room is exactly as pictured on website. Room was clean. Beds & pillows very comfortable. Bathroom was small but sink was outside of bath & there was ample room for toiletries. We had plenty of towels and room was cleaned every day b4 lunch. The staff was friendly (no one was rude as mentioned in other reviews) We ate at the Mahi Mah's breakfast buffet on Saturday. Not a big selection but food was good. You can sit outside & look at the ocean which was nice. Ate at Mahi Mah's for dinner. Crab cakes, Cioppino, Shrimp & Pasta very good. Loved the "boardwalk" (it was cement & there are no stores along it just some restaurants. The stores are on Atlantic Ave) and brick bike path. Some minor things I was not happy about: Pool is indoors & small. Their 100% guarantee (on website) states you will have priority seating at Mahi Mah’s restaurant, but when told there was a 45 minute wait, I mentioned this & the girl told me there was no such thing. Someone should show her the website! It also states on website " Everything is here to make your stay complete from beach chairs and umbrellas to valet service." There is valet service. (The parking lot is across the street & they will bring your car back & forth for you if you want. You can park in the hotel's lot only to unload & load your car) but the hotel doesn't supply chairs or umbrellas. You can rent them. Thought that was a little misleading. I also called a few days b4 we were to arrive to rent a refrigerator (there is not one in that room) & was told I couldn't do that in advance, I had to wait till I checked in. The day we left there was a bicycle race going on so we couldn't bring our car over to their lot to pack up. We had to carry everything across the street to the parking lot. It would have be nice if they notified us ahead of time about this & we would have loaded up the car the nite b4.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Ramada Virginia Beach Oceanfront

Reviewed September 25, 2010

We stayed at Ramada on the Beach for 6 nights from Sept 12-Sept 18. We found the room to be fine. We had a King Standard. There was plenty of room for us to store our bikes in our room. The bed was beyond comfortable..in fact I'm in the process of contacting Simmons to see if I can get the same mattress. I had no back pain for 6 nights and that hasn't happened for me in years. The lobby is lovely. Check-in took about 2 minutes. Hotel staff was friendly..even the valets greeted us every time we went in or out even though we never used them. We ate at Mahi-Mah's four times..twice for dinner and twice for breakfast and the food was very good. Parking is across the street in a private parking garage for the Ramada only. It was less than a blocks walk and we felt our vehicle was completely safe there. You must have a room key to enter the garage. The location is exactly what we wanted. We never had a single issue with exterior or interior noise and we were on the 2nd floor.

We did find the hallways to get stuffy in the afternoon.
I have to agree that the bathroom is probably the worst layout I've ever seen. It's small and you literally have to stand beside the toilet to shut the door. The only fix that I can see would be either a pocket door or accordion door. The fixtures appeared new. The shower surround was new. There was a bit a mildew between the tub and the tub surround and also in the corners along the tub and floor. This is too easy to fix nowadays with all the spray, soak and wipe products available especially commercially now.
We also noticed some dark spots on our ceiling though we never could figure out what they were. We never smelled anything like mildew or mold nor did our allergies react. No idea what that is.

These are a few minor issues but not enough to keep us from staying there again. I've seen oceanfront hotels that were in far, far worse condition and charged considerably more for their rooms.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2010

Hotel itself was ok although the bathroom was so small you could not shut the door without backing up into the toilet (yuck). The corridors and elevators were not air conditioned which made them hot and stuffy most of the time. The air conditioner in our room was extremely loud and we had to shut if off at night so we could sleep, and as soon as we did that, we heard the loud ice maker at the end of the hall. Hotel staff was friendly but not very well informed about the area. We could not get any information on places we wanted to visit - even from guest services (I thought that information was their job.) What we were most upset about was the amount of noise. We did not get one good night's sleep because of the constant (I'm talking 4am thru 11pm + sporadically thru out the night) noise from the boardwalk - drunks yelling, a kid getting beat up on the beach, people knocking on our door in the middle of the night. Then the beach maintenance trucks start just as you begin to fall back asleep at 5am. We even thought of leaving 3 days early out of a six night stay. If you are looking for a relaxing vacation, I would not recommend anywhere on or near the boardwalk. It is a very high energy place - very touristy, but not friendly in the least. I like Virginia but will never go back to the Virginia Beach boardwalk area. We greatly enjoyed our day trips away from the area especially the Aquarium.

1  Thank mojo0827
Reviewed August 23, 2010

I recently stayed at the hotel for a wedding on the beach.

The hotel staff was very busy, but quite rude. They would not bring extra blankets or a wine cork to our room. They wanted to charge us for the extra blankets. There were no extra blankets in our room, like there are in many hotels.

The room where the wedding was hosted had kids that were in the pool running through the area where the food was being served. The bathroom for the guests was the Ramadas bathroom downstairs by the elevators and wet kids were running in and out of the hotel. A mother changed her babys diaper on the floor and left it there, with its fecal matter on the outside of it. There was also vomit in the bathroom sink of the womens restroom. Paper towels were also thrown all over the floor. I went back to the restroom 1 1/2 hr later, and it was still there...

The food at Mahi Mahs was good o ne night, but then the next it was disgusting. It was totally hit or miss.

The hallway to our room had wet kids running up and down it, and screaming. The hallways downstairs were wet from the kids running around. Super slippery for my 85 yr old grandmother to walk, and we were very nervous about this. I know kids will be kids, however, when Im trying to take a quick nap in my room, the last thing I want to hear are all the kids screaming down the hallway- and the hallway echos like...

I thought the hotel was dirty, rude staff, and unprepared. They were about 10 minutes late for everything that was related to the wedding. They didnt set up the chairs and dance floor, or food, on time.

I wrote the hotel to complain and they never responded... that lets me know how much they care!

Dont stay here!

1  Thank kthomas9099
Reviewed August 22, 2010

To me, any beach vacation is great but it's hard to overlook the minuses of this hotel. What is with no a/c in the elevators or hallways? Not only weren't mini refrigerators in each room (!) , when we requested one we were told there weren't any more available. Ridiculous. The rooms were clean but the bathrooms needed a major upgrade and could the towels have been any more like sandpaper?
Having said all of that , the food in the restaurant was good, the location was great and time spent at the beach is always great. Just rethink the accomodations.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank msrktravel
Reviewed August 17, 2010

This is a decent hotel considering that I had a discounted price that I found online. If I had to pay the full price I would not have liked it as much. The hotel had a good restaurant and located right on the beach, however the pool was small and did not meet the level of cleanliness that I expected (I've seen Motel pools that looked cleaner). If you happen to experience rain on your stay, there really isn't much to do at this hotel and with a mirky pool, that limits your options even more.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TravellingJudy
Reviewed August 12, 2010

The Ramada on the Beach has an excellent location near the quieter south end of the VB resort boardwalk area. Rooms are smallish, but fine enough, and ours was nicely appointed and clean with a comfortable bed and pillows. The big draw here is, of course, the all oceanfront rooms - it's great to be able to listen to the waves from your bed or balcony.

Parking is available across the street in a deck; you can self park using your room card for entry to the deck or you can allow a member of the valet staff to park for you (this is a 'complementary' service; however, you will be expected to tip the valet, so if you're able to walk a few steps across the street you might just want to forgo that option).

Despite the great location, nice room, and OK parking, there are issues with this hotel, and I believe those problems are staff related. Our biggest gripe came with housekeeping - we left the room in the morning and spent several hours on the beach. Upon our return around 1 pm the room still hadn't been cleaned. While I was dressing a member of the housekeeping staff knocked (around 2:00 pm) and asked if we wanted the room cleaned - my husband said not right then. We went out and left the "Please Service Room" sign on the door. When we got back around 5:30 nothing was done. We were headed to dinner and sightseeing, so asked at the front desk if someone could at least provide clean towels. Upon our return late that evening, the room was clean, and we were provided with fresh towels and sheets. We also had a message on our room phone from the head of housekeeping, basically accusing us of not allowing staff entry to clean the room. While I appreciated the effort and understand that it must have been somewhat inconvenient to clean our room late, I did not appreciate the housekeeping staff member's snarky message.

Other guests had problems as well - one man, checking out at the same time as us, had apparently reserved a room and arrived to find the hotel overbooked. He and his family had to spend part of their trip at the (non-beachfront) Ramada down the street. Another individual, checking in, asked desk staff how late the Wave shuttle ran. Neither staff member could provide him with an answer, and one simply said to "ask the valets because they're out there all the time."

I think that with a little sprucing up, and perhaps employee re-training, this hotel could be nice. Until those things happen, it remains just average.

1  Thank Pilar1978