“Not that great” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #33 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
ohio
“Not that great”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2007

I had made a reservation but the rooms just werent worth the price I ended up staying at another hotel at the beach for a better price and nicer rooms. I would stay here if the prices were a little better not worth it.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank northendhouse

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Washington DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2007

It's been a few years since my husband and I visited Virginia Beach. I kept hearing all of this talk about how much the area has changed, so curiosity brought me back for Valentine's Day weekend.

A friend of mine told me about Gold Key. I've never taken a timeshare tour and after reading a few reviews I was really hesitant--i almost didn't book. My friend talked me into giving them a chance and the price was great, so we went ahead and booked. Believe it or not, we paid $59 for 2 nights at the Ramada in an oceanfront room. We also got a $50 meal coupon. We used it at the Mahi Mah's restaurant which was located right in the hotel. Very convenient. I wouldn't call the restaurant or hotel luxurious, but it was clean and the staff was friendly and helpful.

We had to take the timeshare tour the morning after we arrived. I was surprised how professional our salesperson was. She was really nice and didn't pull any scams over us. We stayed for a little over an hour and a half and we decided that timeshare wasn't for us (we don't travel to Virginia Beach enough). If we visit VB every year, we might have considered it.

Overall, I'm glad I took my friend's advice. My husband and I got a great deal and we were able to get out of the house for a weekend! The area is beautiful in February, nice and relaxing. We might have to visit the beach more often and check out the aquarium (which we heard a lot of good things about).

• Liked — The price and the fact that it was oceanfront
  • Disliked — indoor pool did not have an oceanfront view
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MelanieS
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2006

We were also pleasantly surprised at how good the hotel was for the money. All rooms directly face the beach and have a balcony with a nice sliding door. Upon our arrival, we were informed rooms got wet from the wind blast from hurricane Ernesto and that worried us a little. The rooms, however, were dehumidified and you could tell the staff worked hard to make them acceptable. We were even upgraded to a king without asking(we had chosen two doubles to save money). The one test of the service here was when I asked for a fridge to be put in my room. Whaddya know, in 5 min I got a knock on the door and there stood an "engineer" with a mini-fridge from downstairs.

The location is perfect. Across the street is a cafe, Haagen Daas, and Krispy Kreme, and the hotel resides on the concrete "boardwalk".

There were a few downsides. Guest services tried to pitch me a condo they were building down the road after I asked a question about where to eat. I didnt really want a sales pitch. Also, the rooms are somewhat small, but acceptable. I think people are being too picky when they evaluate this hotel!! This is no 4-star hotel, but certainly a quality one. I would come back.

• Stayed August 2006
6 Thank pkeafer
Alexandria, VA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2006

Front desk staff really need to liven up and say hello,even smile when a guest passes or approaches the desk...They sometimes act as if you are a bother to them.
I stayed here last year--same problem. I primarily stay because of the location, oceanfront, oceanview for ALL, and Mahi Mah restaurant, and I feel pretty safe in this place.
Some of the cons---first room assigned to us smelled of urine and cigarettes (lots)... so we requested another room--which we got. For the new room-entry light flickered on and off (minor--therefore not reported), no refrigerator/microwave available, shouldn't ALL guests intially get FRESH sheets? Maybe not necessary for same guest staying for few days....Ran out of bath towels and gave us small towels instead--better than nothing I guess.

• Liked — Oceanfront, Oceanview ALL rooms
  • Disliked — the smell, unfriendly staff, reusing sheets from prev guest, no refrig avail
  • Tips/Secrets — bring a cooler, some sheets, extra towels
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank cchaney105

Travelers are raving about these Virginia Beach hotels

Providence, RI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2006

After reading some of the reviews here. I was really leary about staying here especially after hearing about how the front desk is rude and the parking was bad.

I must say the front desk couldn't be more helpful and nice, the parking was great we did valet parking the whole time we were there and there was no problem, and the rooms were very clean the view was gorgeous. One small problem we had the toilet backed up but I called the front desk and they sent someone right up. They do have a restaurant on the premises. We did have the breakfast buffet there but not dinner not big seafood fans but the food must be good the restaurant was packed every night. Every night there was entertainment on the board walk it was great. There are people there trying to sell you something but a simple no thank you worked great and they still offered there coupons and help when you needed it. The hotel was worth every penny. I would Definitely stay here again.

• Liked — The Hospitality
  • Disliked — Would of been nice if pool was outdoors
  • Tips/Secrets — Do the valet parking, you can't go wrong.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank Chill25
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2006

I never book a hotel anywhere without checking Trip Advisor. Well, with this one, I was a little leary with some of the reviews. We booked for a FRI and SAT night stay. I was pleasantly surprised that the hotel seemed updated -we stayed in an "Oasis Room" that had a pillow top mattress, down pillows, granite sink, and tile bathroom and balcony floors. The view was beautiful. I enjoyed the quieter end of the boardwalk. The buffet breakfast in the hotel restaurant was very good and worth the $5.95. Something I did not like was there is no parking, so upon pulling up to check in, you have to unload and hand your keys over to a valet who keeps them. Even though we walked around most of the weekend, we did leave some sand toys, etc. in the car that we would have liked to have but didn't want to pay a tip to a valet to go get our car-which was moved off the premises. We did ask for a non-smoking King bed but apparantly they don't have any? We were given a smoking room that did smell at first but seemed to air out as the day went on. Maid service was slow at getting to our room. By the time she came in the mid-late afternoon, our baby was sleeping, so we couldn't really have her do anything but hand us some dry towels. The indoor pool was chilly for a heated one and the room it was in was dark and dingy. Not appealing at all. The hot tub was tiny, so you would make friends quickly if you got in with anyone else in there. All in all, we enjoyed our stay and would stay again.

• Stayed March 2006
6 Thank Jackie A
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2006

I must agree with everyone who had problems with the front desk people at this Ramada. I'm not sure what they do to these people when they hire them, but they are the rudest, unhelpful, grouchy people you'll ever have the misfortune of having to deal with! Also, don't beleive the ad that says they have an indoor "heated" pool, because even in the summer it is freezing, and off season??? FREEZING!!! They have a heater, they just don't use it. False advertsing. We complained about how cold, but got no where. The view is nice, but you can get that view from anywhere on the ocean front. Hey Ramada -- fire all those mean grouchy front desk clerks, and hire some happy smiling faces, and heat your pool!!

• Stayed July 2005