“A perfect vacation spot for a family with small children”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Virginia Beach
First Landing State Park
Reviewed January 24, 2010

I stayed in Cabin # 16 with my husband and 14-month-old daughter during the first week of September, 2009. When we arrived at the park, we were impressed with the visitor center and pleasantly surprised by how nice the cabin itself was.

The cabin has two bedrooms, one with a queen bed and one with two twin beds. Each bedroom has a nightstand, closet, and some drawer space, with an additional cupboard for clothes and other supplies in the bedroom/bathroom alcove.

The bathroom is nothing fancy, but it's functional and for staying in a cabin you basically get what you expect -- sink, toilet, mirror, ledge for toiletries and a relatively large shower w/shower seat and both a regular showerhead and a hand-held showerhead.

The living area consists of a table w/4 chairs and a sofa/chair reminiscent of the ones that were in my college dorm common areas -- wood frame with removable bottom and back pillows. There is a nice inlaid shelf above the table and a lovely little fireplace in the center of the room. There is no TV, but we brought a portable DVD player, which we used to watch movies we had been intending to see but never had the chance to watch at home.

The kitchen was basic, like the bathroom, but it had all the basics, including a full-sized fridge and stove, microwave, coffee-maker and pots and dishes.

We had no problems at all with bedbugs, like the one reviewer mentioned. I'd hate to have that happen on a family vacation, but as disgusting as it is, you have to keep that possibility in mind whenever you stay in any bed anywhere -- even luxury NY hotels have been reported to have had bed-bug infestations. The cabin was clean when we got there, though we did need to frequently sweep the tile floors because of all the sand we unintentionally brought in with us.

The best parts of the cabin were the screened in front porch w/rockers and the deck with picnic table and grill. I spent the better part of one night peacefully rocking my very cranky, teething toddler on the rocking chair and it was definitely an improvement on staring at the wall when I am in similar situations at home!

We loved the beach -- much cleaner than the MD bay beaches that we usually visit -- and perfect for small kids. There were small waves in the bay, enough to make you feel like you're at the beach, but not so large that small kids can't enter the water. the beach itself was very clean, with a nice wide sandy area for kids to play in. My daughter LOVED the water and especially loved that there were doggies on the beach for her to chase. She relaly had a blast.

We only saw a part of the trails, but what we did see was absolutely beautiful. I was really impressed with the activities the park offered as well.

All-in-all, I would certainly recommend this place to friends and, in fact, am encouraging relatives to meet us there for a family reunion. The important thing to keep in mind is that you are staying in a state park, not a luxury resort, or even a value resort. The cabins are rustic -- but you have everything you need for basic creature comforts. I hate camping -- in fact, I consider staying in a cabin to be camping -- but I never once felt deprived or uncomfortable or like I was just "enduring" my facation rather than enjoying it, as I have during many past camping trips.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
8  Thank two3foots

Reviewed December 8, 2009

This campground was amazing. Lots of trees and just a quick walk over the dunes to the beach. The beach is very nice and great for young kids. Waves are very small or almost non existant. The kids were able to swim freely. The beach is not crowded at all since most people tend to go to the main beach. Every morning and evening a pod of dolphins swims by to feed on the fish in the nets. Tons of crab for the taking as well!

Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2009

This was a great trip! We camped in a tent & I was very happy with everything. Our site was very nice, the beach was close (literally just a walk across the dunes away), with hardly any people on it, and the restrooms & shower areas were very clean & close to every site. I'd def recommend this to anyone who enjoys camping & the beach!! We will definitely be going back!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2009

My family and I stayed in Cabin 3 for one week and we all left with bites from bed bugs. At first I thought they were sand flea bites and once I got home and did some research, I realized they were from bed bugs. Everyone who stayed in the cabin had bites to some degree. I had the most bites with the latest count being over 200. I would not stay here if I were you and you'd be smart to cancel your reservation if you have one and plan to stay in a cabin.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank biogirl5
VaStateParks, Manager at First Landing State Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2010

We had the Health Department investigate the report of bed bugs and they certified we had none. Unfortunately, chiggers are a major pest in the park and the itching and bites are attributable to them.

Reviewed April 21, 2009

This is a great park adn a interesting place. We stayed 14 days and was never bored. We tent camped adn the full review can be found here http://ultimateparkreview.blogspot.com/2009/04/first-landing.html If your planning on going here youll be happy!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2008

The good
-Many very good private site. Some with views of the bay
-Hookups
-Excellent beach just over the dunes
-Convenient location- VA beach 5 min, grocery store 2 min
-Decent showers and bathrooms
-Great bike/walking trails just across the street (you can take one all the way to town - 8 miles one way)

The bad
-Reservation system. It would be nice to be able to book a specific site like you can in many state park (like MD). We got lucky because it was a weekday and we arrived early so we got a prime site.
-Check-in. We arrived around noon exhausted from a 5 hour trip with 2 and 10 year old. The ranger said check in was not until 3 pm, but we could park in the day lot. We parked and decided to walk around the campground. We found many sites vacated with not tags on them. When I asked the ranger if it was Ok if we checked in to one of the vacant sites, she rudely told me she couldn't because the previous tenant technically "owned" the site until 3pm and he may come back. Come on??!! They pack up their tent or motorhome and leave, do you really think they are coming back??!!! We waited an hour or so and saw one of the waiting campers drive into the campground. I went over and parked myself in front of the ranger station with another guy. After the ranger said something to her coworker about how annoying it is for us to waiting there she finally came over and asked me if I wanted to check in. She asked me what site I wanted and I told her a particular one that I had seen that was vacant. She said they had not checked out. She then told me several that were available, one of which I knew was still occupied. They had little clue who was there and who was not. Anyways, I ended up getting a great site (not telling which one!), but it was more hassle than it should have been. A little more organization and courtesy would go a long ways here.
Tent sites. Many were near the road and did not look very nice. Might want to pay extra for an camper/RV space to avoid getting stuck on that loop.

Overall a great campground. Make reservations way in advance.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
3  Thank nakednavin
Reviewed December 28, 2007

I loved staying here! It was just my husband, my dog and myself. We had electricity and water at our camp site. At night we actually watched a movie on our laptop. The sites are close to each other, so if you're looking for a romantic getaway this won't work here. The beach was very close to our site and so were the bathrooms and showers. You can rent bikes and ride through the paths. they have a little store where you can get food and souvenirs. We stopped and camped out on our way up to Pennsylvania. It was much nicer and cheaper than a hotel! I think we will stop there every time we drive through, from now on! Oh, at night time, it is fun to walk along the edge of the water with a flashlight and watch all the little sand crabs! Whatch out for the big horseshoe crabs though, they look scary!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family