“Great Getaway”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Virginia Beach
First Landing State Park
Reviewed May 16, 2011

I have to say that this was one of the better campgrounds and even though we live in the beach, it makes you feel as though you are far away. The staff are polite and very helpful. It is a very cozy camp ground with just enough amenities.

We plan to stay there this coming Memorial Day Weekend... if space permits!

Room Tip: Not a room, a campground. Good choice!
  • Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Shawnthevbnative

Reviewed December 12, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here with two friends in a tent and loved it! we had a blast! I was 6 months pregnant and bathroom were a must, they were close and very clean! we had a great site and it was also very clean! We plan on going back and making it a yearly vacation spot for our family, especially when our kids get alittle older! My boyfriend and I are talking about our 2011 vacation already to this park!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank blea8907
Reviewed August 11, 2010

We camped from a Friday to Monday. We arrived at 3:30 and were told how many sites were available in each section. This is the only negative part of my review. I'd prefer to pick my site ahead of time than first come first serve. I don't know how that would work if you were camping w multiple families. We ended up at H27 which is on the road side but just across from the bath house and then across from that is the walk over to the beach. The beach is very shallow, great for kids. Other than the traffic noise this was a great site, very spacious. You also were only a 2 minute walk to the camp store which by the way is the BEST camp store ever. They have everything. We did a little scavenger hunt (which we picked up from the visitor center by the camp store) w the kids. We also did the "swamp stomp" in the park. Kids got to look at swamp water up close with magnifying glasses, catch frogs and learn about the park. If you turn left out of the park there is a grocery store called Bloom 5 minutes away. I also recommend going to the Fort Story 5 minutes away and climbing the old lighthouse. Plenty of free entertainment on the boardwalk in VA Beach. Overall a very good experience.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank kathen302
Reviewed May 19, 2010

I cannot say enough about First Landing State Park in Virginia Beach! I've been coming here since I was a lil' tot, back when it was "Seashore State Park." My family and I have always camped, using the sites w/ electric and water hook-ups. First Landing also offers sites w/out electric and water hook-ups and can also accomodate even the longest RVs. The beach is absolutely beautiful! Always clean, and if you keep your eye out, you're sure to find that unique shell you've been looking for. :-) Several cabin are located across the street from the state park, but are owned by the state park. They can be rented for a couple days' stay, but at peak times, must be rented by the week. Staying at First Landing gives the vacationer time to enjoy the beach without all the hustle and bustle of "beach street" (Atlantic Ave.). A grocery store and McDonald's are located just down the street, approximately 3 minutes from the campground. Souvenir shops are also within 15 minutes of the campground. Restrooms and bath houses are always clean and rangers are always cruising the park, insuring campers' safety. Bath houses also have handicapped stalls that include a shower seat and handheld shower. There is an amphitheater on premises, too. Lots of trails and historical facts, and a great gift shop as well, located within the park. We choose VA Beach each year for our vacation(s) because we don't have to worry about "sex" and other filth on billboards, t-shirts, etc., everytime you turn around, like we've had to deal with at other beaches. Can't wait to visit again!

**IMPORTANT**Pack your bug spray - especially if camping - the mosquitos will get you! :-)

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank 6sandytoes0
Reviewed January 24, 2010

I stayed in Cabin # 16 with my husband and 14-month-old daughter during the first week of September, 2009. When we arrived at the park, we were impressed with the visitor center and pleasantly surprised by how nice the cabin itself was.

The cabin has two bedrooms, one with a queen bed and one with two twin beds. Each bedroom has a nightstand, closet, and some drawer space, with an additional cupboard for clothes and other supplies in the bedroom/bathroom alcove.

The bathroom is nothing fancy, but it's functional and for staying in a cabin you basically get what you expect -- sink, toilet, mirror, ledge for toiletries and a relatively large shower w/shower seat and both a regular showerhead and a hand-held showerhead.

The living area consists of a table w/4 chairs and a sofa/chair reminiscent of the ones that were in my college dorm common areas -- wood frame with removable bottom and back pillows. There is a nice inlaid shelf above the table and a lovely little fireplace in the center of the room. There is no TV, but we brought a portable DVD player, which we used to watch movies we had been intending to see but never had the chance to watch at home.

The kitchen was basic, like the bathroom, but it had all the basics, including a full-sized fridge and stove, microwave, coffee-maker and pots and dishes.

We had no problems at all with bedbugs, like the one reviewer mentioned. I'd hate to have that happen on a family vacation, but as disgusting as it is, you have to keep that possibility in mind whenever you stay in any bed anywhere -- even luxury NY hotels have been reported to have had bed-bug infestations. The cabin was clean when we got there, though we did need to frequently sweep the tile floors because of all the sand we unintentionally brought in with us.

The best parts of the cabin were the screened in front porch w/rockers and the deck with picnic table and grill. I spent the better part of one night peacefully rocking my very cranky, teething toddler on the rocking chair and it was definitely an improvement on staring at the wall when I am in similar situations at home!

We loved the beach -- much cleaner than the MD bay beaches that we usually visit -- and perfect for small kids. There were small waves in the bay, enough to make you feel like you're at the beach, but not so large that small kids can't enter the water. the beach itself was very clean, with a nice wide sandy area for kids to play in. My daughter LOVED the water and especially loved that there were doggies on the beach for her to chase. She relaly had a blast.

We only saw a part of the trails, but what we did see was absolutely beautiful. I was really impressed with the activities the park offered as well.

All-in-all, I would certainly recommend this place to friends and, in fact, am encouraging relatives to meet us there for a family reunion. The important thing to keep in mind is that you are staying in a state park, not a luxury resort, or even a value resort. The cabins are rustic -- but you have everything you need for basic creature comforts. I hate camping -- in fact, I consider staying in a cabin to be camping -- but I never once felt deprived or uncomfortable or like I was just "enduring" my facation rather than enjoying it, as I have during many past camping trips.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
8  Thank two3foots
Reviewed December 8, 2009

This campground was amazing. Lots of trees and just a quick walk over the dunes to the beach. The beach is very nice and great for young kids. Waves are very small or almost non existant. The kids were able to swim freely. The beach is not crowded at all since most people tend to go to the main beach. Every morning and evening a pod of dolphins swims by to feed on the fish in the nets. Tons of crab for the taking as well!

Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2009

This was a great trip! We camped in a tent & I was very happy with everything. Our site was very nice, the beach was close (literally just a walk across the dunes away), with hardly any people on it, and the restrooms & shower areas were very clean & close to every site. I'd def recommend this to anyone who enjoys camping & the beach!! We will definitely be going back!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple