My hubbie, daughter and I had to go to a family event in the Virginia Beach area. I was supposed to stay with a relative, but booked this hotel two days prior to our stay of, May 24 - 25, 2008. I booked directly through their 800 number. Basically, I chose this property because it was centrally located to the family event. I was not seeking a beach property. I was looking for a room with a refrigerator, microwave, iron and one that offered comfort, cleanliness, secure parking and an indoor pool. The hotel provided comfort, secure parking and an indoor pool, however, cleanliness was lacking.
We booked a Smoking Room, with a king size bed and a pull out sofa. When we arrived, apparently a mistake was made and we were listed to stay in a Non-Smoking room. Thankfully, I had brought along my Confirmation E-mail which verified what I booked. Even though I did not make a fuss, the front desk clerk immediately apologized and not only upgraded us to the Executive Suite, but also gave us a free movie rental. We were pretty happy with the decision. Every staff member we encountered were not only friendly, but were also professional.
The hotel has a lounge, a restaurant, an indoor pool with a maximum occupancy of 20 and a 4 seater indoor jacuzzi. Additionally, the hotel has a tiny business center that has a computer, a printer/fax machine and an ATM machine. Last but not least, the hotel also had a small snack/souvenir shop, with the usual expensive fare. The hotel also offered 24 hour room service.
The Executive Suite is located on the first floor, which reeks of cigarette smoke. For a smoker to complain, you know it is pretty bad. In addition, I was not too thrilled with the first floor location, but I assumed in the long run, it would be more convenient. The room was quite large, but it is definitely showing its age and is in need of a face lift. It had a desk area, a sofa, a large television and obviously a bed. I found the bathroom rather small, the kitchen/area quite dirty, very few electrical outlets and a closet that contained an outdated key lock safe. The ammenities included shampoo, conditioner, lotion, a shower cap, face soap and hand soap. They were typical lower tier hotel/motel quality.
Apparently, the Crowne Plaza is known for its bedding and alarm clock system. The bedding was outstanding and top quality. In addition, included in your room is a lovely bag with lavender linen spray, ear plugs and an eye mask. Inside the CD Alarm Clock, there was also a CD that had relaxation techniques to help you sleep. We needed none of the above, but I thought it was a nice touch.
When we were not attending the family event, we did enjoy the pool, which stayed open until 10:00 p.m. There was a side window that was attached to the Atrium Lounge, in which one could purchase a beverage. There was a courtyard with an overgrown garden, right outside the pool/Jacuzzi area that had wrought iron loungers, tables and chairs.
In sum, usually the Crowne Plaza is a step above a Comfort Inn, but in this case, I would say it is not. I have experienced cleaner and better kept rooms at Comfort Inns, for less money. While the staff is friendly, I strongly feel that this hotel needs some updating. Since it was Memorial Day weekend, we paid a premium price and it was not quite worth it. Would I stay at a Crowne Plaza in the future? That would depend on what condition the place was in. Since no other hotels had availabilities in the area and the Days Inn on Bonney Road was partly under construction and the rooms that were not under construction, had hookers plying their trade, I guess we were lucky to have stayed at the Crowne Plaza.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Crowne Plaza Hotel Virginia Beach is located in the heart of the Town Center Business District, allowing corporate and leisure travelers easy access to Va. Beach, Norfolk and Chesapeake. We are just minutes from restaurants, shopping, attractions, military bases and the beach (8 miles) with convenient access to Interstates 264 and 64. The Crowne Plaza is within easy reach of Historic Jamestown and Colonial Williamsburg. The hotel offers 12,000 feet of flexible meeting and banquet space. Each guest room offers free wireless high speed Internet voice mail, coffee makers, make up mirrors, the Crowne Plaza Sleep Advantage Program which includes upgraded bedding, sleep amenities and more. Tines Restaurant & Aqua Bar features a wide range of food and beverage with, free wireless high speed Internet and wired high speed connections in the lobby. Additional amenities include an indoor pool, saunas, free business center with HSIA, 24 hour fitness center , gift shop and FREE shutle nightly to and from the Town Center entertainment area. Attractions: the Va. Science Museum, Verizon Amphitheater, and the Va. Sportsplex. The nearby Town Center features restaurants such as the Cheesecake factory, PF Chang, Ruth's Chris, Max & Erma s, and many more. Companies: Northrop Grumman, Lockheed Martin, Keane Inc., BB&T, SAIC, Amsec, Best Buy, Circuit City, Ford, EDS, and Ecolochem. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, IHG, Priceline, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Crowne Plaza Hotel Virginia Beach -Town Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Hotel Virginia Beach -Town Virginia Beach
- Crowne Plaza Virginia Beach
- Virginia Beach Crowne Plaza