“A little disappointed”

Ranked #48 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A little disappointed”
Reviewed July 7, 2011

I was a little disappointed with our hotel room after reading all of the positive reviews about the hotel. We visited this hotel July 3rd-5th. The hotel lobby was nice and we were greeted warmly when we arrived to the hotel late at night. However, our room was average. The room was musty when we entered and looked dated. I was expecting a remodeled room. The bath tub was discolored, the bathroom was very small and the wall paper was worn. We noticed the next day that a room right next to us and across from us looked different (more amenities) than ours. So, perhaps, some rooms look better than the one we had. We spent most of the day at the beach which was about 8 miles away and convenient to get to by car. Since it rained very hard on the evening of July 4th, we had dinner at the hotel. The waitress let us know that the food would take 25-30 minutes. It actually took one hour ( I don't think the restaurant was expecting many people since it was July 4th). However, the food was pretty good.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank brookekim
, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Virginia Beach -Town Center, responded to this review, July 23, 2011
Thank you for your input and please be assured that yours as not indicative of the way we want our valued travelers to leave feeling. While we sometimes may not meet everyone’s expectations however we certainly care enough to try rectify problems during their stay. Please feel free to contact me for further follow up on your stay, Thank You Mark R Smith CHA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 30, 2011

My husband and I decided to take a mini weekend road trip to Va beach. But just our luck it pretty much rained the whole weekend. We wound up hanging around the hotel. And we actually had fun. We hung out at the indoor pool and jacuzzi. We ordered room service. A little slow. But im sure with the weather a lot of people stayed in. The staff was nice and attentive. The room was spacious and clean. This isnt the first time that Ive stayed at a crown plaza. I love this chain. This one was no different and the bed was actually so comfy that my husband and I had to look under the bed to see what kind of mattress it was. Sealys for those of you wondering. lol

Room Tip: No tips. All the rooms are nice.
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Phillygirl23
Cary, NC
Reviewed June 21, 2011

We stayed here June 18 and 19, 2011. The room was very clean and the bedding was exceptional. We did not hear any noise from other customers either night.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank puffinCary_NC
Stafford, Virginia
Reviewed May 4, 2011

Staff was very professional/will recommend this hotel to my peers.
Meeting area again;l was clean and professional

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed April 29, 2011

I love this place we always stay there on ORF overnights. I would live there if I could. I like the quiet halls, quiet rooms and the decor is out of this worl, when I first saw it after the remodle I was not so sure, but I actually enjoy it and have lots of great pictures. The staff is great as well, during one check in we had a snafu but they fixed it. Housekeeping is great too!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
St T
Reviewed April 1, 2011

My wife and I visit Virginia Beach and Norfolk every two or three months. We have sampled the airport area, the oceanfront and downtown Norfolk yet our stay at the Crown Plaza two weeks ago stands out as "the best of all" Convenient location to all points, great night sleep, and accommodating staff. GREAT VALUE !!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RichardStT
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed March 22, 2011

This is a great hotel. I stayed here for more than 30 days in Febuary and March of 2011. During this long stay the hotel met and exceeded all my expectations. The service personel at this hotel are simply outstanding. The front desk manager, Savannah, is very kind, professional and incredibly efficient. The front desk people always have a ready smile and a freindly hello whenever I went through the lobby. They were often available to answer my questions and provide some local insite.
The restaurant is nice. Fairly straight forward but clean and of very good quality. The food was very good and well presented. The wait staff and bartenders are all excellent. Tim the bartender really keeps the customers satisfied and easily carries on good conversation with the patrons. I sense that the people that work at The Crowne Plaza like working there.
The rooms I had were all spacious and comfortable. The beds were very nice and I slept better than I usually do in a hotel. The housekeeping staff do an outstanding job with the service on a daily basis. Again these folls nare friendly and always have a kind word. Nice flat screan TV's in all the rooms.
The big plus for this location is the fitness center, pool. hot tub and sauna. None of these things are the biggest or the best, but to have them all in one place is very rare and very welcome after a long day of work. Two big thumbs up fpre these amminities.
The parking was very close and very accessable. This is also a big bonus as parking in much of Virginia Beach is at best a pain.
I would eaggerly recomend this hotel for any business traveler. To me however the acid test is how easily the hotel converyted to a family hotel when my family came to visit. Another big two thumbs up.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business