“Near the beach / Half the Price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Inn & Suites Virginia Beach

Clarion Inn & Suites Virginia Beach
Ranked #59 of 111 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Texas
“Near the beach / Half the Price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Stayed three nights for work. Currently being remodeled but not intrusive. Literally across the street from beach access. Walking distance to anything you want to do and great value. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
JenniferMeads, General Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites Virginia Beach, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad you had a good stay. Thank you for recommending our hotel! See you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

The room was very spacious and well equipped, other than poor lighting. Very small area in bathroom for toiletries beside the sink. The cleaning had a glaring error. The last guest's towels were in a pile on a corner of the bathroom floor. That kind of killed enjoying our stay. We were too tired to do anything other than ignore the towels.
The bedding was very comfortable. The internet was fast and dependable, although we had to call the front desk to get a password. On check in, I think the clerk should ask if we'll need a password.

The breakfast was disappointing. The eggs were obviously powdered, the biscuits were really English muffins, no sugar free syrup, no peanut butter.

We were billed for the safe. Yes, the charge was removed but this charge should not be added to the bill.

One other thing-forget sleeping. Although this isn't just a problem just for this hotel, the motorcycles were constant until around 11 p.m. The naval air base had some type of small fighter jets taking off every five minutes until midnight and started again at 6 a.m.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
We strive to make every guests satay a satisfying one and I apologize if we fell short in any way. I am working on the lighting in the rooms and have ordered brighter bulbs. I am extremely upset about the housekeeping issue and I would like for you to call me becuase unfortunately I cannot address it because I am not sure what room you were in. We are working on adding additional items to our breakfast buffet and peanut butter and sugar free syrup are both on the list for the Spring. We are seeing that more and more people are asking for it so will will be adding it. Thank you for the suggestion!

I am sorry for the noise. Unfortunately those are not within our control. Growing up in Virginia Beach believe it or not I don't even hear the jet noise anymore because I am so use to it. It does increase during times of hightened security measures because the pilots have a certain amount of night flying hours and day flying hours they have to get in before they are deployed. With all that is going on the the world right now Naval Air Station Oceana is a busy place. I can hear the jets flying as I am writing this.
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

The staff at this location, truly made me feel at home. They were very helpful in finding great places to eat and visit. My company conducts alot of business with the hotels in the area and this was my 1st time staying here, I was truly impressed with everything. I will continue to stay here without a doubt. Great job

Room Tip: Very close to the oceanfront and no need to worry about parking, when you can just leave you vehicle...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for your kind words! We may not be oceanfront but we do have amazing rooms and we are right across the street from the beach. I am happy that your stay was great and we look forward to seeing you again next time your in town for business!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Have stayed at this hotel a few times. Newly renovated rooms. The beds are very comfortable , the rooms have ample space and are kept clean. The view was nice. The staff are very friendly, and helpful. I have recommended this hotel to others. The free hot breakfast buffet is a nice added bonus! This is very good value! Highly recommend to my fellow travelors.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dave:

Thank you for your review! We work hard to keep our hotel clean and inviting. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay! Come visit us again soon.
Ashburn, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

There are only 2 hotels on Virginia Beach that will allow large dogs. Unfortunately, we booked late and our first choice was sold out for the weekend so we stayed at Calrion. Clarion says that they are a pet friendly hotel, I would argue to say that they simply accept pets but are not pet "friendly". The $60 charge is ridiculous and they put those guests on the 2nd floor with absolutely NO view at all (there is a wall in front of the window). In addition, we had to unplug the alarm clock because it was constantly buzzing, the window a/c is so loud you could barely sleep and it was disgustingly dirty. The carpet had not been cleaned in years, the bathroom was microscopic and the beds were very uncomfortable. I would much rather take my money to LaQuinta who appreciates their furry guests, does not charge a fee for them, does not block your window, the rooms are clean and the price is HALF of Clarion. We will NEVER be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank RCHitch
JenniferMeads, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites Virginia Beach, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. The Clarion Inn and Suites opened in July 2011 and we have just recently begun accepting pets in September of 2012. Our pet friendly floor is the second floor and and it states on our website that the floor does not have a view. Our pet rescrictions are 50 pounds or less so we did waive our pet policy of less than 50 pounds to accomodate your 2 large dogs. There are approx 6 hotels in Virginia Beach that except pets. One charges $100 per stay, two charge $25 per night per pet, 2 are free (one puts pets in smoking rooms only and we have 100% smoke free property), and ours is $60 per stay. Weight rescrictions of all but the one you mentions are 40 lbs or less with one hotel accepting 14 lbs or less. Being that our hotel is new the owners decided that is a fair fee given our location and rescrictions.

I have looked into the A/C issues and you were correct that it was a bit loud. I was not made aware of this until I read your review as I read all guest complaints and comments that are made to our staff and correct them right away and I did not have a record of that being brought to my staff's attention that weekend. We have since replaced it with another unit. Unless and obvious spoiling, our carpets are cleaned once per quarter and the second floor is scheduled first week of April. Our beds were bought in July of 2011, our bedding program is based on Clarion specifications and are complete with Serta mattresses with removable thick alternative down mattress toppers, high-end sheets, duralux fleece blankets and alternative down comforters.

I am sorry that you were not satisfied during your stay. I can assure you that we have addressed all the issues that you mentioned and would love to have you back to stay with us in the future.
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Spacious room, comfortable beds, nice TV, microwave and fridge. Small bathroom but that wasn't important. Hot breakfast buffet, food was just mediocre but appreciated the variety; someone worked constantly to keep the area clean.
This hotel is a block away from the beach, so do not expect great views of the ocean, but otherwise a great location!

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for the "ocean view" as other hotels block your view anyway!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for your review. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay. We are working on updating some of our breakfast items to offer even more variety. We look forward to your next stay with us! Next weekend our Tiki Bar opens out by the pool and it is alot of fun! Come and see it!
Manassas, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Just stayed at your hotel, 03/02/13-03/03/13 and enjoyed it very much. The room was in excellent condition, clean and I believe everything was thought out with the design and the way a room should be designed. From the two type of bed cover pillows, the hide a way refrigerator, spacious room, half wall and we actually had a couch along with our two double beds. Even the detail in the bathroom was impressive the the style of vanity, curved shower curtain rod and a curtain with a window for diffusing light, to the bath accessories.

The only bummer was there needs to be a light over the shower or simply replace the existing bathroom exhaust fan with a fan/light combo. in order to provide light in the shower area. The vanity light just doesn't get it done. Also I wasn't able to draw the curtains close in the main area, based on the design, but their was a white window sheer.

Room Tip: make sure the bed is one that your going to be able to get a good nights rest in. Nothing can repla...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
JenniferMeads, General Manager at Clarion Inn & Suites Virginia Beach, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your review! We appreciate that you see our staffs hard work and dedication to our guests. Our bathrooms are small and I am looking into alternative ways to add more shelving or some other solution to accomodate more toiletries. Our rooms though are huge. Parking is limited in the resort area of Virginia Beach. Our hotel does lease parking from March 15th thru Labor Day in order to give ample parking during high demand weekends. I think you caught us on an unexpected busy weekend :). We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future!