All reviews surf bar across the street atlantic ave spacious room two queen beds view of the ocean pool side front desk staff fridge and microwave boardwalk housekeeping pets sofa pros
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The location is good just 1 block off the beach. You can't beat the weekend price compared to the hotels on the oceanfront. The pool was nice as well is the gym. The service was okay but it seemed like the front desk was understaffed with only 1 person. The room was large enough with a somewhat separate couch area but the only tv was by the beds so the couch didn't really make sense especially without a table. The elevator was really the only problem. There is only 1 elevator which takes quite a long time and many people were frustrated with it. Overall a nice option for the beachfront.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank beelann
AaronPacific, Director of Sales at Clarion Inn & Suites Virginia Beach, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2011

Beelann:

Thank you for your comments regarding our hotel. We take pride in our beutiful new property and any comments or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel and we look forward to seeing you soon!

Jennifer Meads

Reviewed September 12, 2011

This hotel was very, very clean and the rooms were huge! It is right across the street from the boardwalk and beach. The price was fantastic for the location and accommodations. The people working there always smiled, said hello and willing to help. I will go back again and will recommend to friends who can't afford beachfront but want to be close.

1  Thank batteykl
Reviewed September 7, 2011

I've never written a review on TripAdvisor and I felt inclined since the other reviews on this site I feel are not valid any longer. After reading through other reviews it's my understanding that the hotel was purchased, re-branded and totally renovated around the summer of 2011.

My family (myself, wife and two young children) stayed there two nights over Labor day weekend 2011. Since we booked last minute there were very few hotels available and none I believe in the 3-4 star range. We took a risk booking this hotel because of all the negative reviews and it definitely paid off. The hotel is on the opoosite side of Atlantic Ave. (not beach front) but has view of the ocean depending what side of the building you stay on. The rooms you can tell have been recently renovated (new carpet, beds were very nice including sheets, etc., bathrooms were really nice (granite counters) and flat screen TV with mini fridge)). It has a tiny outdoor pool that we didn't use but I did see a lot of families using it and just generally sitting outside. Access to the beach is simple - just need to cross the intersection and you are there. There's a 7/11 right behind the hotel which made it very convenient to go get milk, bananas, etc. If we ever decide to go back to VA Beach we will definitely choose this hotel again.

The only negative that I can think of is we didn't get WiFi in our room (no connection) but it was available in the lobby for free. There were a ton of TV stations (HBO and other premium cable channels so that was nice).

2  Thank Josh I
Reviewed August 19, 2011

My family and I visited VA beach the weekend of 13 Aug. I procrastinated getting a room until the Thursday before the trip waiting on cancellations. During my searches I excluded this hotel because of the poor reviews. To make a long story short, my wife booked the hotel anyway. When we arrived to check-in on Saturday, the process was fast. However, I could tell that it could be a mad house during busy times.

The hotel is directly across the street from the beach, from our room we could clearly see the beach and water in fact the kids sat in the window to view the beach activities. I will say not all rooms have a beach view. We were in a front corner room so we had a great view. The room modern and clean. My wife did note some faint streaks red in the shower around the drain, the staff arrived within 10 mins to re-clean the shower. my wife noted the solution they used was dyed red so it's possible that was the culprit. The big negatives for me was the elevators were extremely slow and parking was terrible. The room walls seem to be thin because I could hear my kids down the hall. (then again they are loud mouths)
The pool is small and not recommended for small children. The floors are tile in the main thru traffic area on the ground floor so be careful I saw a few people slip on water. I think they need to do something about that The hotel is in a very good location close to everything and directly across the street from the beach. We had a few minor request (More towels, luggage Cart. etc.) of the staff and each time they responded in a timely and professional manner.

In my opinion, this place was definitely worth the money. My family and I always stay at Hilton hotels. Last year we stayed at the Hilton Oceanfront which was nice and expensive. The Clarion Inn room was comparable to the room at the Hilton but I believe not the Hilton amenities far surpass the Clarions, but when you add in the additional $185 per night rate the Hilton is charging the Clarion was a way better bargain.

I am not discounting any of the other reviews, we all have our stories but as for me and my family we could not have asked for anything more. I decided to write a review because I almost missed out on this bargain reading all of the negative reviews and I like to give credit when it is deserved. If it was a dive before they are working hard to change this stigma.

BTW, The adjoining seafood restaurant is not worth the money. That also goes for the Maple waffle next door. The food is mediocre at best and they are expensive. If you can go to Mary's restaurant it is around 17 st, off the strip so you will need to drive or taxi. Great value and food. Don't take my word for it speak to the locals. I also recommend the restaurant at the Hilton is expensive but wow you will not be disappointed. For the budget minded there is a Pizza (past the Hilton) spot can't remember the name but it is also pretty good and we are self proclaimed NY pizza snobs.

Room tip: Not sure we were in room 601 I would assume 301, 401, 501 ... would have great view. We did not use it but it had a connecting room
Date of stay: August 2011
2  Thank FredFamily2011
Reviewed August 13, 2011

The website says the hotel is Oceanside, it is NOT!!! It is a block away from the beach. No sign of an ocean any where other than the picture of an ocean on the wall. Beware of this place and read the fine print carefully. There is NO breakfast, their idea of a pool side bar is Very strange. The news papers in the lobby were a week old. When I asked to speak to the manager I was told he would be in around 6 pm to find out later the manager was actually the guy sitting next to the guy I asked when the manager was in several hours earlier. Once they get your reservation money there is no turning back and no refund.

DO NOT STAY HERE!

Date of stay: August 2011
2  Thank Stacy58
jeninvb, Director of Sales at Clarion Inn & Suites Virginia Beach, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2011

We strive to make every guest happy and ensure everyone has a pleasant stay. I apologize if we did not meet your expectations. Since the complaint we have carefully analyzed our verbiage on our website and we do want to explain that we are close and convenient to the beach but we do not say we are oceanfront. I have gone in and attempted to change wording on our website in order to avoid confusion in the future.

Opening on July 25th we did have several amenities that were delayed in our opening and we are now fully in compliance with our brand standards. Being brand new at the time we apologize for any inconvenience that may have incurred. We do hope you will stay with us again in the future to give us the opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel. Please call me personally so I can make your reservation- 757-961-8459