“Talk about stealing someone's money”

Clarion Inn & Suites Virginia Beach
Ranked #55 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed October 16, 2011

My boyfriend and I arrive at the beach about 9 pm Saturday night there was a cornhole thing at the beach he wanted to play in only hotel with a room so late that night we got checked in told it was 129 which sounded great we got our stuff in the room and went out since we are parents we don't get to do that much got back to the room about 2 am went to sleep and left the hotel about 8am got our bank statement back and we was charged 396.00 for one night tried calling hotel always told the manger would be in at one time and would call back and they said he wasn't there and would hang up on me several times finally called compliant line and was told they charged us for smoking which is funny cause we don't smoke my bf finally got a manger on the phone a week and a half later and they said they had pics and would email them to us a week later no email I call back nothing needless to say pressing charges is our next step so make sure to check ur bank statements when u get home

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank stars1710
AaronPacific, Director of Sales at Clarion Inn & Suites Virginia Beach, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2011

Dear Guest:

I apologize for any inconvience that this may have caused and I am personally looking into the circumstances behind this charge and would love to work with you to make this right. Please contact me at the hotel and we can wrok together to resolve this matter 757-961-8190

Jennifer Meads

Reviewed September 12, 2011

The location is good just 1 block off the beach. You can't beat the weekend price compared to the hotels on the oceanfront. The pool was nice as well is the gym. The service was okay but it seemed like the front desk was understaffed with only 1 person. The room was large enough with a somewhat separate couch area but the only tv was by the beds so the couch didn't really make sense especially without a table. The elevator was really the only problem. There is only 1 elevator which takes quite a long time and many people were frustrated with it. Overall a nice option for the beachfront.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank beelann

Beelann:

Thank you for your comments regarding our hotel. We take pride in our beutiful new property and any comments or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you for taking your time to review our hotel and we look forward to seeing you soon!

Jennifer Meads

Reviewed September 12, 2011

This hotel was very, very clean and the rooms were huge! It is right across the street from the boardwalk and beach. The price was fantastic for the location and accommodations. The people working there always smiled, said hello and willing to help. I will go back again and will recommend to friends who can't afford beachfront but want to be close.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank batteykl
Reviewed September 7, 2011

I've never written a review on TripAdvisor and I felt inclined since the other reviews on this site I feel are not valid any longer. After reading through other reviews it's my understanding that the hotel was purchased, re-branded and totally renovated around the summer of 2011.

My family (myself, wife and two young children) stayed there two nights over Labor day weekend 2011. Since we booked last minute there were very few hotels available and none I believe in the 3-4 star range. We took a risk booking this hotel because of all the negative reviews and it definitely paid off. The hotel is on the opoosite side of Atlantic Ave. (not beach front) but has view of the ocean depending what side of the building you stay on. The rooms you can tell have been recently renovated (new carpet, beds were very nice including sheets, etc., bathrooms were really nice (granite counters) and flat screen TV with mini fridge)). It has a tiny outdoor pool that we didn't use but I did see a lot of families using it and just generally sitting outside. Access to the beach is simple - just need to cross the intersection and you are there. There's a 7/11 right behind the hotel which made it very convenient to go get milk, bananas, etc. If we ever decide to go back to VA Beach we will definitely choose this hotel again.

The only negative that I can think of is we didn't get WiFi in our room (no connection) but it was available in the lobby for free. There were a ton of TV stations (HBO and other premium cable channels so that was nice).

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Josh I
Reviewed August 19, 2011

My family and I visited VA beach the weekend of 13 Aug. I procrastinated getting a room until the Thursday before the trip waiting on cancellations. During my searches I excluded this hotel because of the poor reviews. To make a long story short, my wife booked the hotel anyway. When we arrived to check-in on Saturday, the process was fast. However, I could tell that it could be a mad house during busy times.

The hotel is directly across the street from the beach, from our room we could clearly see the beach and water in fact the kids sat in the window to view the beach activities. I will say not all rooms have a beach view. We were in a front corner room so we had a great view. The room modern and clean. My wife did note some faint streaks red in the shower around the drain, the staff arrived within 10 mins to re-clean the shower. my wife noted the solution they used was dyed red so it's possible that was the culprit. The big negatives for me was the elevators were extremely slow and parking was terrible. The room walls seem to be thin because I could hear my kids down the hall. (then again they are loud mouths)
The pool is small and not recommended for small children. The floors are tile in the main thru traffic area on the ground floor so be careful I saw a few people slip on water. I think they need to do something about that The hotel is in a very good location close to everything and directly across the street from the beach. We had a few minor request (More towels, luggage Cart. etc.) of the staff and each time they responded in a timely and professional manner.

In my opinion, this place was definitely worth the money. My family and I always stay at Hilton hotels. Last year we stayed at the Hilton Oceanfront which was nice and expensive. The Clarion Inn room was comparable to the room at the Hilton but I believe not the Hilton amenities far surpass the Clarions, but when you add in the additional $185 per night rate the Hilton is charging the Clarion was a way better bargain.

I am not discounting any of the other reviews, we all have our stories but as for me and my family we could not have asked for anything more. I decided to write a review because I almost missed out on this bargain reading all of the negative reviews and I like to give credit when it is deserved. If it was a dive before they are working hard to change this stigma.

BTW, The adjoining seafood restaurant is not worth the money. That also goes for the Maple waffle next door. The food is mediocre at best and they are expensive. If you can go to Mary's restaurant it is around 17 st, off the strip so you will need to drive or taxi. Great value and food. Don't take my word for it speak to the locals. I also recommend the restaurant at the Hilton is expensive but wow you will not be disappointed. For the budget minded there is a Pizza (past the Hilton) spot can't remember the name but it is also pretty good and we are self proclaimed NY pizza snobs.

Room Tip: Not sure we were in room 601 I would assume 301, 401, 501 ... would have great view. We did not use...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank FredFamily2011
Reviewed August 13, 2011

The website says the hotel is Oceanside, it is NOT!!! It is a block away from the beach. No sign of an ocean any where other than the picture of an ocean on the wall. Beware of this place and read the fine print carefully. There is NO breakfast, their idea of a pool side bar is Very strange. The news papers in the lobby were a week old. When I asked to speak to the manager I was told he would be in around 6 pm to find out later the manager was actually the guy sitting next to the guy I asked when the manager was in several hours earlier. Once they get your reservation money there is no turning back and no refund.

DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Stacy58
jeninvb, Director of Sales at Clarion Inn & Suites Virginia Beach, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2011

We strive to make every guest happy and ensure everyone has a pleasant stay. I apologize if we did not meet your expectations. Since the complaint we have carefully analyzed our verbiage on our website and we do want to explain that we are close and convenient to the beach but we do not say we are oceanfront. I have gone in and attempted to change wording on our website in order to avoid confusion in the future.

Opening on July 25th we did have several amenities that were delayed in our opening and we are now fully in compliance with our brand standards. Being brand new at the time we apologize for any inconvenience that may have incurred. We do hope you will stay with us again in the future to give us the opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel. Please call me personally so I can make your reservation- 757-961-8459

Reviewed August 11, 2011

We stayed here three nights August 2011. We were a little nervous about the hotel because of all the horrible old reviews, but realized that those reviews are not for this hotel. This is a brand new property that just opened. The rooms are large and very comfortable. The bed was comfortable and everything was clean. Hotel is nicely furnished and decorated. The location is on Atlantic Ave but not oceanfront, however our room had a partial view of the ocean and the boardwalk and this was a bonus for us. To get to the beach all you have to do is go out the front door and cross the street. There is a public access point right there. Our only disappointment was that the hotel did not have breakfast area ready yet. They said they were waiting for the health dept. to approve. The pool is small but we enjoyed it. Lots of restaurants and shops in the area, and free entertainment on the streets. Hotel staff was very friendly. We will go back.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple