“Could have been a contender”

Fire Ninja Chinese Bistro and Sushi Bar
Ranked #969 of 1,413 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian, Chinese
Good for: Families with children
Neighborhood: Northwest Virginia Beach
Kernersville, NC
“Could have been a contender”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Went to Fire Ninja on a weeknight, restaurant was about half full. I ordered an appetizer, spring rolls, and honey walnut chicken. One of my pet peeves is when restaurants don't bring appetizers out in time to enjoy them before the meal. And sure enough, I got my entree, and when I asked about the spring rolls, I was told, "They're fried and that takes longer." Huh? My server was nice and the entree and soup were good. But if you can't get a simple matter like timing courses right, you're not a contender. You're a chump.

• Visited October 2013

Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Horrible!!!”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Dirty, food was horrible, customer service was horrible, furniture and restroom rigged. This was my second time having a bad experience here, never again will i go!

• Visited August 2013
Willoughby, VA
“Quaint!”
Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Great place for sushi or teryaki. Have visited here several times and not been disappointed. Inside is somewhat dim...nice for date nights. Quaint, friendly and beautiful decor. Service has always been timely and food very well prepared. Will visit again.

• Visited December 2012
Bel Air, Maryland
“Just another average sushi spot”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Have rarely seen a restaurant with such opposing reviews on TA. Had to try it ourselves for lunch. Easy to find with even an empty parking spot directly in front of the door. Host greeted promptly upon entry and led us to a booth along the far wall and distributed menus ( 4 though there were only 3 of us). Server came by in a few minutes for our drink orders. Looked over the menu. Lunch offerings were all on the back. Was not pleased to find that the prices of many of the items had been raised $2-$3 which wasn't reflected on their website which we had checked out earlier. No complaints with the quality or preparation of grilled eel bowl, pepper tuna bowl or rolls (dream and volcano) that we ordered, but all were average at best.
Overall service was fine, food OK, but overpriced for the quantity provided - especially for a small pot of green tea for $5.50. And would appreciate if they kept their website up to date.

• Visited March 2013
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Worse Sushi Place! No eel in eel roll, literally no eel!!!”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I went there for lunch, worse place ever, my eel roll tasted like a vegtable roll, my husband opened up one of the eel rolls and there was no eel whatsoever in the roll!! What? Why call it an eel roll? Salad dressing was like soup, sopping wet lettuce. No server to be found, I had to stand up and wave to him, he looked up finally while sitting next to another server getting into rubbing her back instead of helping customers. He came over and asked us if we wanted to speak to the chef about our meal. He came back a couple minutes later and said the chef is afraid to come over. We were like What? I asked where the manager was. He said there is no manager and the owner comes once or twice a week at night. No manager??? Does that tell you anything about the food?? Enough said.

• Visited February 2013