“Just...OK”
Review of The Oceanfront Inn

The Oceanfront Inn
Ranked #23 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed February 25, 2008

After reading the other reviews about this hotel I felt certain that I was making a sound choice of where to stay. It was the "other" things that disappointed me, but first the Pros: 1. The hotel was at a great location with shopping and restaurants nearby. 2. Great price. 3. The staff was very friendly and helpful. and finally... 4. Everything seemed to be clean and in working order.
Now, the Cons: 1. The beds was horrible. Our room had 2 double beds and after just spending one night here we decided to split up, each taking a bed (not what I call a romantic vacation over Valentines weekend). It was weird. If you was near the edge of the mattress it felt like you was going to roll off . 2. The towels were small and thin and extra ones was never made available to us. 3. My husband likes to watch Fox news in the mornings, and when on vacation we like to occasionally like to check the weather channel for certain conditions of the area to know what to plan for the day. Well, we only had 18 channels and neither the weather channel or fox news was one of them. 4. Finally, and I never thought this to be an issue but I feel it needs to be mentioned. The toliet paper was awful! I might as well used notebook paper. One-ply, hard, the cheapest stuff possible. I didn't ask for anything different because I was too embarrassed to. Now, I don't know if that was something they have to used due to septic lines or city ordinance. But the room tissues was of the same quality so I think they was just cheap when it came down to paper products. Again, I never thought this to be an issue....

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 6, 2008

My family and I stayed at the Oceanfront Inn. in late Aug. of 2007. I had booked 2 rooms about 4 months ahead of schedule and made sure to let them know that I wanted the rooms on the 4th or 5th floor. They told me they could book me on the 4th floor which I thought was just fine. I had called maybe a month before the trip and also the day before we actually left to make sure they still had our reservations and to make sure that they had taken our request to have our rooms on the 4th floor. They said everything was fine and that we were all set. We got there around 4:00 pm and came to find out that they had placed us on the first floor they said they never received any prior requests to be placed on a higher level and said they didn't have any rooms and there was nothing they could do. I was obviously very disapointed b/c what views can you expect on the first floor?? I asked to speak w/ the manager and he was exceptionally rude stating that even if we reserved a room a year in advance we would not be able to pick what floor we were on. I was blown over by everything and told him what his employees had told me before I booked and he somehow couldn't figure out how that had happened.. a true idiot. The hotel/motel was suprisingly clean. The elevators were slow, rickety, and hot. The pool was ok but somewhat dirty. The rooms were for the most part clean. There were about 5 channels on the t.v. to choose from. The bathroom had a really low ceiling and seemed to have some water damage and there were moldy spots. The bed sheets never seemed quite clean and were always sandy. The restaurant food was ok. Even though they did serve my husband a mostly raw steak. The staff was friendly on the phone but always seemed like they were in a bad mood in person. All in all, we stayed there a day I will never go back and we decided to spend a little more money and stayed at the Hilton, a gorgeous hotel.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank raqgim
Reviewed January 11, 2008

Great location, good signage that helped identify this hotel from the myriad "Oceanfronts". Probably one of the best locations on the strip and convenient to everything, including mall shopping if you want to go to Target, and other anchor stores and not just shop the boardwalk. We were able to see the beautiful Christmas Light Parade on the boardwalk and you really should think about going there in the December time frame to see it. Gracious staff and the only negative was the intermittent WiFi. Make sure your room will hook up or you will need to go down to the lobby to access the Inet.

Very easy to get to the Cayce Museum, Aquarium and Chrysler Art Museum.

Ocean and beach views were outstanding and the easy access to beach and boardwalk was appreciated by this lung impaired visitor.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PA250
Reviewed December 5, 2007

I found the website easy to use, with all information I needed to ask sensible questions when phoning to make reservation
I called while on business in Tacoma - Bobbie is from Seattle, and was delighted to assist in the booking. I had stayed previously, many years prior and was offered a discount as a returning visitor.

Initial impression of the outside was appealing – staff were frequently ensuring cleanliness. No trash in the car park.
Check in was fast and courteous, the cleaners had just sprayed the elevators and hallways - the air freshener needs to be less flowery! Could be a major problem for somebody with allergies. One elevator (middle one) juddered during ascent – enough to be worrying. A sign on each floor showing which rooms were to the right or left of the elevators would improve ease of location of same.
Rooms were reasoanbly appointed with tv, microwave etc. For families with younger children, a childrens channel on the TV would be a great improvement.
Door jam of the bathroom was rusted at the bottom, A/C air outlet was encrusted with dirt but at end of season, one assumes these problems will be addressed
All staff responded to a greeting from me.
There is a good sized pool, but not tried. Depth appeared adequate for real swimming. Warning about no lifeguard was displayed. Room towels would be dreadful for a person with sunburn – very coarse
The restaurant had an appealing menu at reasonable prices. Service for us was good, others had long waits for their order. The wine list is reasonable, but there are some excessively young wines, with rather harsh characteristics among them
restrooms - ladies reported as having dried soapscum in washbasin, gents had previous days paper in stall and dryers not functional. The ice machine room was rather tatty – clean floor, but torn insulation on the coolant line did not inspire confidence.

. Generally just meets my 2 star expectations. The overall impression of the room was that it provided adequate accommodations but only just reached its present star rating, however, for an oceanfront resort hotel I felt it was good value.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 29, 2007

I recently had the pleasure of spending a weekend at the Oceanfront Inn, located in Virginia Beach, VA. My party and I were greeted by friendly staff who seemed genuinely glad to have us at their hotel. Check inn was simple and fast, the lobby and first floor were clean and modern. Parking was a breeze! Not always easy in an ocean side community. The best feature of the Oceanfront Inn was yet to come! Situated on the fifth floor, our room gave a spectacular view of the ocean and seating on a balcony all to ourselves. The beach seemed to run on forever, nothing but breaking waves and sand. Below the balcony was a world of activity including bike and running paths, seasonal decorations and local attractions. For the price I can't imagine getting a better value, I can't wait to return with my whole family!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank dncjerobee
Reviewed November 24, 2007

We came to Virginia Beach to see the Christmas lights on the Boardwalk. We not only got a great rate on our room but were also given a ticket to see the lights, which saved us another $10. From the moment we arrived, all employees were friendly but professional. We were greeted with a smile and eye contact every time we came in. Frequently we were asked if there was anything they could do for us. There are 3 elevators to this hotel, rarely was there a wait for one. And the hotel did have right many customers.
Upon entering the room we were greeted with a beautiful ocenafront view! The room was very clean and comfortable. The beds were a little hard but not excessively. There was plenty of hot water. My only complaint was the balcolny door was hard to open, and it had a very raised sill. One person in our party tripped on it and almost went head first over the balcolny.
I have bokmarked this hotel and will definately stay here again!

Stayed: November 2007
1  Thank gingerannlanier
Reviewed September 18, 2007

The Oceanfront inn is a nice, clean, simple hotel right on the Boardwalk. It's not fancy.... the indoor pool is small, it doesn't have a gym, saunas or jacuzzis but if you're looking for a nice, clean hotel you'll be happy. I would pass on the restaurant in the hotel, the food was just okay and it's a little pricey. If you like breakfast and dinner buffets, here are plenty of places nearby.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family