My wife, two children and my brother and his three children stayed here from July 11-17, 2010. This place was highly recommended by a co-worker, I guess he doesn't like me. After a warm ride in the non-air conditioned elevator we arrived at room 610 which greeted us with a musty basement smell. A quick look around and I realized this place was a dump. Being in 610 we were near an ice machine that almost never had ice. Not every floor has ice machines so they get emptied very quick in the morning by beach goers. On day 2, I move one of our bags which made the electric outlet angry because it shot sparks at me, I call maintenance and it was fixed quickly. The bathroom was gross, the drop ceiling was torn, sagging, and caulked to hold it together. The caulk around the bathtub was moldy all week. The mini-fridge was rusty and spray painted over. The balcony railing had very loose screws securing it to the concrete. The pool was green and some kid pooped on the floor (not the Sandcastles fault). One heater above the pool was broken. The outdoor breakfast area had broken flower pots and junk lying around all week. The headboard above one of the "queen size" beds fell off, almost hitting my wife and daughter. The dresser had a big ring of missing laminate on the drawer front. The old A/C unit enclosure on the balcony has warped cardboard covering it. Parking area doors were chocked open so any one could enter the hotel. The elevator was slow, probably because one kept breaking, the doors opened and there were repairmen standing on top of the elevator car. A picture is worth a thousand words (or the $1100 I wasted staying there) so do yourself a favor and look at my pictures on photobucket.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the BEST WESTERN PLUS Sandcastle Beachfront Hotel located directly on the world famous Virginia Beach boardwalk. Our guest will enjoy world class service, easy access to the beach, and spectacular views of the Atlantic Ocean. The BEST WESTERN PLUS Sandcastle Beachfront Hotel offers several types of accommodations to choose from. We offer you amazing views from 146 rooms with private balconies, two queen beds, or one king bed. All of our rooms offer you microwave and refrigerator, while our suites will provide you with a kitchenette. No matter how you must stay connected we offer free local calls, long distance access, and wireless high speed internet access. In addition, we have an on-site fitness center that overlooks the beach, on site laundry facilities, and complimentary business center. We are happy to provide you with conference rooms and meeting space for up to 150 people is perfect for your personal or professional functions. The Virginia Beach oceanfront is host to some of the best festivals and events you will find on the east coast such as; American Music Festival, Patriotic Festival, East Coast Surfing Championship, Neptune Festival, North American Sand Soccer Championship and the Boardwalk Art Show. Other nearby attractions includes Naval Air Station Oceana, Fort Story, Damn Neck Naval Base, Cape Henry Light House, Virginia Aquarium and Marine Museum, Virginia Beach Fishing Pier, and Ruddee Inlet.After spending the day enjoying Virginia Beach or working come back and enjoy the comfortable and spacious lobby or enjoy a great dinner at Pier 14. We look forward to seeing you soon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Best Western, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Best Western Plus Sandcastle Beachfront Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandcastle Oceanfront Hotel Virginia Beach
- Sandcastle Resort Va Beach
- Sandcastle Oceanfront Resort Hotel