“I wouldn't go back....”

Ranked #4 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Detroit, Michigan
“I wouldn't go back....”
Reviewed November 9, 2009

Virginia Beach was the 2nd part of our vacation to Washington DC. I have never been to Virginia Beach, and we were looking to relax after our hectic 3 days in DC.

Before I give my review, I guess I should say I've never been a fan of Spring Break towns, even when I was young enough to par-take in Spring Break. Not quite sure what I was expecting...

We again booked based upon reviews for TA. The view was beautiful, and so was the location. There was only a door...not a doorwall to the balcony. The motel was old and run-down. The ceiling tiles were falling out in the bathroom (who's idea was that in the first place?), and water damaged. It was clean from what I could tell.....but I don't think you could ever get it to look good because everything was so old. There was a microwave and a fridge in the room, and the continental breakfast the good and a money saver. If I was truly on a budget vacation with young kids, it had everything I needed. The staff was very friendly, and there was a store with everything you forgot to bring to the beach plus some. We rented bikes and enjoyed a couple of morning bike rides, fairly reasonable, all things considered.

Since we were there after the kids go back to school,l it was mostly senior citizens and very young families. The beach was wonderful.....where could I watch dolphins in the morning and F14's flying over in the afternoon?

I have to mention just a couple things...Ocean Eddie's eats on the pier (aka FAST EDDIE). Obviously the chance to make lots of money by location alone....was a dump, the man that was seating us was holding a beer and obviously drunk, we walked out. Just wanted some seaford since I was looking at the Atlantic. We went across the street to a pizzeria (directly across from the motel...forgot the name) and it was the best hand tossed old school pizza I have ever had!

If I went to Virginia Beach again, I would pay the money for a nicer hotel. I love a good bargin, but this was a little more than I could handle.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
New England
Reviewed November 1, 2009

My daughter and I spent 8 days at the Sandcastle in October 2009. We enjoyed the hotel and the beach. The continental breakfast each morning was a real money saver as we then only had to buy lunch and dinner. The room balcony looks out onto the large fishing pier and well maintained beach. The boardwalk runs along behind the hotel and is used daily for walking, running, dog walking and bicycle riding. The room was very comfortable and cleaned daily. It had 2 queen size beds, cable TV, a DVD player, small safe and microwave. The parking garage is enclosed except for the top floor, with elevator service to all floors. The souvenir shops and restaurants are easy to walk to or a short drive if you rent a car.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Model_TNewEngland
Jacksonville, NC
Reviewed October 25, 2009

We stayed the weekend here and thought the room that we were in was adequate. The hotel is old and dated, but clean. Our room was fine for the weekend and we did not have any problems. Its in an ideal location. Oceanfront, with the pier in front of the hotel. We enjoyed watching the surfing. Not a bad place to stay for a weekend.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Karrus
Maryland
Reviewed October 21, 2009

We had stayed at The Sandcastle a number of times and had always liked the place. We were repeat customers and would have recommended it prior to our stay in August 2009. When we got back home both my wife and I discovered that a couple of personal items we had brought with us- we both list our vacation needs and know what we pack- had been taken from our luggage. It was not so much the value of the missing things, but rather the disappointment and sense of betrayal in an establishment for which we had always had good feelings before. I am sorry to say we will be staying elsewhere the next time we go to Virginia Beach- and hope that The Sandcastle has better luck with their employees.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bzane
SANDVEE, Asst. General Manager at Best Western Plus Sandcastle Beachfront Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2009
Management did not find out about this unfortunate incident until 3 months later. As managers of a seasonal hotel, we can only hope we're hiring honest hard working employees. Please notify management as soon as possible anytime you suspect an potiental problem at the hotel.
Boston, MA
Reviewed September 27, 2009

Great location that overlooks the beach, boardwalk and the fishing pier. The hotel had friendly staff, housekeepers were thorough in cleaning and included breakfast. The Negatives--despite paying in advance for an oceanfront room, the room we were given was terrible and had no view unless you craned your neck until you are nearly Linda Blair. The staff "upgraded" us to what they referred to as an $800/night room, which looked like what we had reserved/paid for online. Furnishings and decor are old, in poor condition and there is visible mold in the pictures on the walls, which kicked up my Mom's asthma--not good. Very strong mildew that made all of our clothes smell bad and required AC 24/7 to dry them out to being damp. Had to wear shoes on the carpet it was so damp (e.g., getting up to use W.C. Internet connection is also poor--frequent loss of signal. Would NEVER stay there again. Far overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed September 2009
1 Thank docw7
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed August 31, 2009

This is the third year in a row that we have stayed @ the Sandcastle.
The last two years we invited two other families to join us and they had a great time as well. They even gave us a great group discount on all 3 rooms.

If you are looking for a great place to stay at an affordable price, then this place will do just that!

Sure, it might not be a new hotel with valet service, state of the art TV's & plush pillow top mattresses like at the Hilton, but you won’t have to mortgage your house to pay for your trip either.
The amenities are very comfortable, the beds are comfortable, and the location is convenient. All of the rooms have balcony & are ocean front. The hotel has a restaurant, gift shop, rentals, parking garage, free continental breakfast, juice in lobby which the kid's just love.
The staff was very accommodating & courteous.
The view from the balcony & the atmosphere of overlooking the boardwalk is just great. We love watching the sun come up in the morning & the ships coming and going.

If you're looking for a family-friendly, reasonably priced, well kept modest hotel then the Sandcastle Oceanfront Resort Hotel is absolutely worth looking into.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Canuck_to_the_Beach
New York
Reviewed August 30, 2009

The room was alright although audated. If you are traveling in a budget, this would be OK. Can something be done about that constant liking of water from the a.c. into the balcony? It liks from yours and from the room on top of you. I had to put a garbage can under ours so to get a dry balcony. We had Internet on and off, but it was never fast. A screen door would be a great idea, so that the balcony door can be left open to hear the beach water from the room.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple