“Superb stay!”

Ranked #4 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
New York City, New York
“Superb stay!”
Reviewed July 18, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay. Food is excellent. Room is very comfy and extremely clean with a great ocean view. Staff was super friendly. I would surely be staying here again and would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Virginia Beach.

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Jaden D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
Edison, New Jersey
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Our family had fun... The hotel is nice and rooms very clean & comfortable.. and staff was very very helpful... Breakfast was very good. Kids enjoyed the beach and hotel. I will definitely stay here next time....

2 Thank Dborad777
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Our Family enjoyed the stay .Easy access to Beach, My kids loved the room and beach. Breakfast was excellent Only issue we had was, All the guests have to use one elevator (other one was broken) and it was never repaired until we checked out. Hope they have fixed it now.

2 Thank Ganeshamoorthy S
Mount Holly, United States
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Our reservations were made in April for the week of July 7 -12. We booked a 2 queen/sofabed/full refrigerator room with 5 people and at check in were told there was a glitch in the system and we were given a 2 queen/no sofabed/mini fridge for 4 people. We only received 4 coupons per day for the continental breakfast because that is the maximum allowed for the room, leaving us to pay $13.95 each day for one person's breakfast. We also then had to purchase a blow up mattress for our 3rd child to have somewhere to sleep. We had a cooler full of drinks and food for the full fridge we were expecting so had to continue to refill the cooler with ice throughout our stay. The front desk told us we could stay in the size room we booked for two nights and move for the rest of the week. As a family of five who traveled six hours to stay there, that was not an option we desired. We were there for work and pleasure not to unpack just to repack and unpack again. One of the elevators were broken leaving one elevator functioning for 9 floors. We were told it would be fixed within 24 hours and it was not until the 4th day of our stay. The average wait for an elevator was 7 - 10 minutes. While fixing the elevator the 2nd elevator broke causing us to use the freight elevator. Stairs were not an option with 3 children, sand toys, beach bags, beach chairs, surf boards and boogie boards...especially when we spoke to a man who just came back from the emergency room with neck and back injuries due to the stairs being wet and him falling. The employees (those who were not front desk staff) were just as unhappy as the guests and made it very clear, even with colorful language, that the front desk really didn't know what they were doing and were consistently making errors at the guest's expense. We have stayed at this hotel numerous times and have even recommended it to family who also enjoyed their stay. This year we were told the hotel is under new management and it shows....in a very negative way. The restaurant for dinner was extremely disappointing. The buffet lacked any appetizing looking food and/or variety and the menu was far overpriced. The waitress huffed and verbally complained to us when my husband and daughter ordered a virgin pina colada. There was no liquor license due to the ownership change over, so I cannot imagine making one of these was all too difficult. For what we paid that night for chicken tenders, bacon fries and a steak with coke and 2 pina coladas, we should not have been made to feel guilty for the order we placed. We go to Virginia Beach every summer, sometimes more than once, and we will be sure to avoid booking here again. We are planning a 2 and a half week road trip in Aug and were intending to book at Best Westerns along the way, but we are seriously reconsidering. We understand every hotel has a different owner, but we do not want to spend money on a gamble that the whole Best Western chain has not lowered their standards.

5 Thank James W
Jason C, General Manager at Best Western Plus Sandcastle Beachfront Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to write a review about your recent stay at our property.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at 757-428-2828.

Jason C.
BEST WESTERN PLUS Sandcastle Beachfront Hotel
Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

Normally, when we travel (which isn't all that often to begin with), we have to spend a little more because we are a family of 6. We usually need a suite or at least an adjoining room. This time, only 4 of us made the trip, and we had to do a little cost cutting. So we picked the Sandcastle with a double-queen ocean-front room.

As others have said, the rooms are a little on the small side, but we are doing alright navigating around one another just fine. Check-in and parking were easy after a 10-hour drive, and the room was very neatly prepared and clean on check-in. I DID notice that although the air conditioner was maxed out, the room a little on the warm, humid side. I figured it was simply because this is an older hotel that has been renovated and the AC units are NOT central air. The first night's sleep was a little toasty. The next day, the battery in our smoke detector died so it started chirping. I called down to the desk about that and also mentioned the AC. Within 5 minutes, two guys were in our room assessing the situations. We left them as we went to dinner. When we got back, both issues were fixed perfectly and our room was a cool 68 degrees. Needless to say, I was completely shocked at how quick and perfect they resolved the issue, and needless to say again, last night's sleep was awesome.

We are on the 4th floor and enjoying the ocean-front view, the boardwalk, and the close proximity to the pier. Today, I tried the small fitness center rather than running the boardwalk. It is very small, but all the equipment worked well, and I was the only person in there (which was nice).

A lot of people complain about the breakfast buffet. If you've ever eaten cafeteria/buffet style breakfasts, it is fine. It's not like going to Bob Evans, but it's more than fine. Everything tasted a-okay.

I like having a convenience store and gift shop on site, but I always seem to need something. Housekeeping is on the ball, and our room is clean before we come in for lunch every day. Couldn't ask for more.

About the only complaint I have is that the elevators are slllloooooooowwww being an older hotel. If that is the worst I have to complain about then I have nothing to complain about.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Mitch H
Cheektowaga, New York
Reviewed July 13, 2014

First off I've never written a review and am not one to complain, but usually roll with the punches. Our stay was booked last September as they only have one 3 room suite and I wanted to ensure that my family would have plenty of space for ourselves. Travel down from our area was a breeze with no traffic issues so I was in a great mood when we arrived at 4:30 pm and attempted to check in well after the advertised 3:00 check in time. To our dismay the room was still in the process of being cleaned and we were unable to check in and enjoy the beach for the early part of the evening(apparently 7 maids called in sick). The cost for that night alone was in the upper $300's and I feel that for that price the room could at least be ready for our arrival. Well I took it in stride and the manager on duty at that time did offer a 10% discount for the night and to allow us to leave our luggage in their office while we walked the boardwalk. It was almost 5:45 by the time the room was ready, but we made the best of it. The next glitch would have to be that 1 of the 2 elevators mainly designated for the guests was down from our arrival until mid-day Thursday. They did have an additional service elevator which serviced floors 1-7 located to far right of lobby, but this was slow and noisy at best. The other elevator that was working was obviously always overloaded and wait times were some times several minutes. The elevator issue leads into my next complaint. I was using the stairwell located next to the 2 elevators and between 2 of the floors the maintenance team that was working on the elevator had apparently spilled hydraulic fluid on stairwell and did not clean it up and I quite painfully did a side plant on the landing as it was like slipping on ice. I am thankful that it ended up happening to me instead of my wife, or the mom with 2 young children behind us, but regretted it the next day as I had to visit the local ER for intense shoulder pain. The response when I went to tell the front desk about the issue was pathetic at best. I gave them the location and replay of the incident and they said they were sending up someone, which they did but then that person left the area and I went up to check to verify that it was going to be cleaned up. To my surprise there was no employee near location and I stayed there, place a wet floor sign, and guarded the area so that no other guest would potentially fall. My wife in the meantime filled out an incident report. I grabbed a maintenance man and told him he needed to stay and he stated it was oil form elevator repair attempt. I then went back down to front desk and asked to speak to manager. Jason(manager on duty at time) came to greet me and I told him story and told him if I were manager I would want to see the issue as he did not initially seem interested in looking at the scene. I took him to area and he acknowledged how slippery the stairwell was. I must add at no time did they ask if I needed medical attention. To make a long story even longer I went to ER next morning and all appeared to be well, of course besides for this review the hotel or Jason would not know because the management team never followed up on incident to check on my condition. On the flipside Edith and her housekeeping team were excellent in their performance and I hope their working conditions improve. Tamara(8 yrs hotel experience) and Alivia(2 weeks of hotel experience) were both great and accommodating whenever I interacted with them and should be commended on their performance. The entire front desk crew was helpful especially when I had to get my room key reset numerous times. The pool and breakfast buffet were nice as in past years. The biggest concern would be the "Management" and their either lack of knowledge or caring attitude. You need to take into account that there are many families that save all year and spend a lot of money to stay at your hotel and you need to step up and realize you are in the "hospitality" business and appreciate that these people chose to stay with you, don't take for granted what you have and remember people are paying for a vacation and not wasting time waiting on elevators, room cleaning, and tending to injuries obtained through negligence on your part. For those who have stayed this long through my review I Thank You as you and your family deserve a better vacation stay then this hotel. I am sure that the Management will get better and I hope they do as there are many great people that come to work everyday and put their best foot forward just trying to earn a living and help the traveler. If anyone has any further questions please feel free to ask through site as I am more than willing to make your vacation more enjoyable than mine was,

7 Thank John2713
Reviewed July 13, 2014

Went to Virginia Beach on family vacation. We were quite impressed with the staff, and room. Room overlooked the beach, and pier; balcony was great for the breeze too. Only issue was the 1 elevator was broken and was for our stay. That is only negative thing!!!!!

3 Thank robertsF2313JC