“Pleasant Stay - lovely view”

Best Western Plus Sandcastle Beachfront Hotel
Ranked #6 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Jacksonville, North Carolina
“Pleasant Stay - lovely view”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

Rooms were clean and came with microwave, refrigerator and all the other normal stuff (t.v., hair dryer etc.) Only issue we had was that were had a room across from the elevator and considering it was off season wish I had made them move us. Had a wonderful time and loved the free breakfast. Never was able to use the pool. Loved the Christmas light display on the boardwalk.

Room Tip: Make sure to request you don't have a room across from the elevators if possible.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
LeAnn G, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Sandcastle Beachfront Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Thank you for such a positive review about the cleanliness and amenities of the hotel! I am sorry to hear you were put by an elevator, next time let us know! We will have no problem moving you rooms. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the holiday lights on the boardwalk, next year ask us about the Holiday Lights Package we offer for our guests! Hope to see you again, Happy Holidays!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Everything was good. Our room was pleasant and has a beautiful oceanview. Our only dissatisfaction and inconvenience was the very hot running water in the shower and the sink faucet. Even the cold water knob was giving out hot water too. We need to check out at 6AM, get to the airport by 7AM,so we woke up at 5am, went in the shower,and there was a problem, no cold water, nor warm water, only very hot water was coming out of the shower. It took us 10 minutes waiting to get a temperate or warm water for the shower and toothbrushing. We were in a rush to check-out and get to the airport on time, and here comes the "bathroom hot water problem" in this hotel. There should always be a continuous running COLD WATER and not only hot water at the same time, at any hour of the day in the guest bathrooms. Your maintenance engineer should always check the hot and cold water system setting flowing in every guest bathrooms.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

LeAnn G, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Sandcastle Beachfront Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Thank you for your feedback about our hotel. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your room & the ocean view from the room. I do apologize about the water temperature issue, We have our head engineer looking into that. We are not certain on why that happened to your water faucets that morning, I do assure you that we do have water temperatures other than very hot. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and we hope to see you again next time! Happy New Year!
Sheridan, Arkansas, United States
Reviewed November 18, 2013

My son is stationed at Naval Station Norfolk and is leaving for Naval Station Rota Spain in January of 2014. I booked a trip the weekend of November 15th to get some quality time with him prior to his departure. He will not be back stateside for 3 years. We had a fantastic weekend in Virginia Beach and our stay at the Best Western Sandcastle was the perfect starting and ending point for each day! The hotel was beautiful, bright, cheerful, the staff was amazing and accommodating. The Pier 14 restaurant was great with fantastic service and menu offerings. The hotel has an outlet to rent bikes on the first floor and we had a great time tooling around on the boardwalk via beach bike.

I only have 2 complaints: 1.) Sunday morning as we were getting ready to depart the hotel, we heard foul language outside in the hallway by the maids who were cleaning other rooms on our floor. They were loud and we heard their words distinctly. I did not complain to the front desk as we did not have small children but had we, I would have. 2.) BEFORE YOU BOOK A ROOM IN THIS HOTEL: Please know this is a non-smoking PROPERTY. Even if you go to the main website for the hotel (Best Western's corporate website), the only indication that this is a non-smoking (anything), is a symbol at the very bottom of the page of a circled cigarette with a line through it. I read the hotel rules for several different hotels on VA Beach and passed on all that stated they were non-smoking properties. (Those write-ups stated this clearly in the first paragraph). I did not scroll all the way to the bottom of the corporate website and did not see the symbol and booked the room. After working a full day in Little Rock, AR, taking two flights and a late dinner with my son, we arrived at the hotel at about 11:30pm on Friday night. I was excited to see my son, tired from the work day and travel and did not pay attention to what I was initialing on the check in sheet. When we got to the room, I did notice that there was a small sign on the table in the room that it was a non-smoking ROOM, but nothing to state the hotel as a whole was a non-smoking PROPERTY. So, I smoked outside on the verandah. I crushed out the butts on the railing and ran water over them to make sure they were out and put them in the trash cans in the room. When I checked out of the hotel, I was told the maids complained to the management that someone had been smoking in the room and the hotel was charging me an additional $250.00 for smoking. Of course I apologized profusely and explained that I smoked outside on the veranda and not inside the room and that is when they told me I had initialed beside a statement regarding the non-smoking status of the property. I could do nothing but pay the charge. I would not have booked this room had I known it was a non-smoking property. I would advise Best Western to PLAINLY STATE THIS IN THE BODY OF THEIR HOTEL DESCRIPTION.

Other than this, we had a wonderful stay and would gladly encourage all non-smoking potential customers to book a room here. It is truly a nice hotel.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor, oceanfront, room 307. It is close to the pier and at just the right heigh...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
LeAnn G, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Sandcastle Beachfront Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Thank you for your feedback about the hotel. We appreciate your Sons service to the Military and we appreciate you coming to stay with us! I am glad to hear you guys enjoyed yourselves, the hotel and hotel staff. I do apologize about the inconveniences that occurred during your stay, we will be sure to investigate what staff was working the day you checked out, there should be no foul language whether you have children or not so we will be investigating that. And yes we are a non smoking property, you cannot smoke in the rooms or on the balconies, there is a charge of 250$. I do apologize that you did not see that on the paperwork at check in, but we do have you initial it before you check into the room. We do have signs up through the hotel as well, for a non smoking property. As for the website info about the smoke free property, I will be sure to look into all the websites to make sure they are correct so all guests are fully aware of it. Thank you for all your feedback, this helps ensure we can better the hotel for our guests. We do hope you give us another chance and come see us again so we can exceed your expectations!
Butler, New Jersey
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Ok so it was off-season and the boardwalk was quiet, but hotel is on the boardwalk across from Pier 14 (the only pier I saw) which had a few souvenir shops open. Weather was unseasonably warm, which helped :) Beautiful sunrises from the 7th floor deck. Hotel was clean, pool was warm. Juice and coffee served all day in lobby, which was welcoming after our 7 hour car drive! Small inconveniences...coffee maker was missing filter part, but replaced immediately by friendly staff and refrigerator knob was missing to turn it up...again replaced immediately. Restaurant was connected to hotel, great buffet each morning (with option for menu dining as well). Parking was also attached via parking garage. We were able to walk to Catch 31 restaurant and sit by the fire outside...healthy walk! Overall great weekend stay!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
LeAnn G, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Sandcastle Beachfront Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you for such a positive review about the Hotel and the restaurant Pier 14. And yes, in the off season for us it is a bit more quiet than the summer months! I do apologize about the small inconveniences that occurred, but I am glad to hear the staff was so quick and efficient in taking care of those issues for you! Come back and see us again next year!
Glen Allen, United States
Reviewed November 14, 2013

My fiancé and I stayed in the bridal suite about two weeks ago for our vacation. The room was in good condition. Our room was located on the 9th floor. The fishing pier was the view from our room. The room was equipped with a Jacuzzi, two individual sinks, and a glass shower. The breakfast was okay. The hotel gave us a complimentary appetizer at the restaurant Pier 14. The food at the restaurant was excellent. You have to get the snow crab legs. Free parking and the hotel is just beautiful inside and out. This hotel is not a luxury hotel but a nice place to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

LeAnn G, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Sandcastle Beachfront Hotel, responded to this review, November 17, 2013
We are glad to hear you enjoyed the bridal suite with the Jacuzzi tub! It is a great addition to the hotel, to offer a suite with a Jacuzzi. Also, thank you for such positive reviews about the restaurant Pier 14. We hope to see you again in the future!
Millersville, United States
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Not your average Best Western. Bright colorful decor, clean rooms, good food, very accomodating and friendly staff. 24 hour coffee/juice in lobby, 24 hour fitness ctr with oceanfront views made the treadmill & workout a bit less painful! Meeting space is also oceanfront with great (distracting though, lol) views as well. Way better experience than I expected! Would stay again... and great off season rates!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for a great review about the hotel! We are a newer Best Western so we do appreciate the comments on the colors and cleanliness of the rooms! Come back and see us next year!
Smithfield, North Carolina
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We picked this hotel purely by luck and boy did we do well!! The hotel was safe and clean. The staff was so friendly. Ammenities were awesome including a hearty breakfast at Pier14. Check in was done by Leann who was super friendly and helpful. Check out was by Victor who was a pleasure to meet and talk to. The room was comfortable and our family enjoyed our overnight stay. Wish we had more time to stay-will definitely return!

Room Tip: Ocean front definite must! The carpeting was plush!
2 Thank Bre H
Thank you for choosing to stay with us! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to accommodate you with a safe and clean environment as well. See you next time!