“Grim”

GreenLeadersSilver level
NYC
“Grim”
Reviewed August 17, 2009

Motel had a "welfare hotel" feel: poorly lit rooms, broken elevaor, overburdened staff. The high rating on this site for this motel surely must be due to staff-written reviews. Only positives: good location with refrig and microwave. Must be other motels a block away from beach that are better priced and equally depressing if not in fact nicer.

1 Thank TomBradyNYC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Virginia
Reviewed August 15, 2009

The staff was very pleasant and accomodating. The rooms were very clean. The hotel is convenient to shops, restaurants and other attractions. Located across the street from the beach which is great! We would definetely stay here again because of the friendly staff and value.

salem va
Reviewed August 14, 2009

we just got back from va beach the stay was okay we would go to the ocean during the day and wanting to come back to relax in the pool but it was way to little,the picture in the website makes it look big compared to its real size, room was kinda pricey compared to others we checked on even on the oceanfront. you really need to shop around, we will not stay there again.

Lynchburg
Reviewed August 12, 2009

We had to cut our stay short due to a family illness, but Brian, and his staff did everything possible to make our short stay a positive one! Brian, the manager, clearly hires and trains people to appreciate the customer! VERY RARE TODAY.......
Thanks to all.

Ed, Deb, Leah, and Lauren Embrey..........

Maryland
Reviewed August 1, 2009

Mr. Vee, thank you so much for recommending Royal Clipper to us. The entire group was very pleased. The rooms were spacious, very very clean and the location of the hotel was great. Elena at the front desk made our visit even nicer. She is 120% customer oriented and made sure we had everything we needed. She is just natural when it comes to providing excellent service to all guests. Too bad she wasn’t at the front desk all the time. Our group will definitely be back next year.

• Stayed July 2009
Virginia
Reviewed July 30, 2009

My first contact was with the office. The people in the office were pleasant and accommodating. All questions and concerns addressed efficently. The rooms were easy to access and very clean. The hotel was easily accessable and conveniently located within walking distance of the beach and other needed amenities. I would definitely do a repeat visit to VA Beach and stay at the Royal Clipper again.

OH
Reviewed July 28, 2009

My family and I are budget minded and have stayed at several other places in Virginia Beach. Reading the good reviews, I wanted to give the Royal Clipper a try. Based upon our awful experience, I recommend you stay elsewhere.

Although most of the staff was friendly, one of the women did not seem happy to be there, and appeared very impatient toward everyone. Her surly attitude was present at all times.

The parking spaces were very tight. If you have an SUV, as I do, you will have difficulty finding an adequate place to park. I once had to jump out of the passenger side, as I could not open the driver's side door.

Passing by the pool, I was surprised at how small it was, even though I read about this in other reviews. There is no way teens or adults would be able to use the pool, other than wading or sitting on the edge to dip your feet in.

We were on the 5th floor, and as soon as we got in the room, we had problems. There was a one inch gap underneath the door, letting in all the hot air. It was unbearably hot, and the air conditioning was not on. I tried turning it on, but the knob was broken. I finally got some air to blow, but it was warm. After calling the front desk, one of the workers came up, and had to use pliers to turn it to the proper setting, then made an adjustment inside the unit, and told us not to touch it. We finally had cool air, but I noticed it was dripping water profusely on the outside, onto the cars below. I pointed this out to him, but he ignored it. I also noticed the bathroom door would not lock, but he told us he couldn't fix it, and to just knock on the door if we had to use it. The bathroom was very tiny, making it difficult to change clothes or get in the shower.

That night there was a wet area on the carpet near the air conditioning unit. By morning there was a 5 foot wet area, which soaked our blankets and bed sheets. I looked underneath the AC unit and noticed a steady drip of water. Additionally, the toilet stopped working - it just wouldn't flush. On my way down to speak with management about all of this, the elevator stopped working. This happened several times during our stay, and I had to walk up and down 5 flights of stairs several times. Other guests were also complaining about the broken elevator.

For our trouble, we were upgraded to a suite, which was much, much nicer than the room we had. I would suggest that anyone with a family with older children upgrade to the suite, as there was much more space, and a nice, large bathroom. However, even in the suite we had some problems. The fuse went out in the fridge and microwave, even though we barely used them. We had a TV in each room, but one TV had a problem with the volume- it was either very, very, soft, or so loud it was unbearable. It could not be controlled, either manually, or with the remote. The other TV was missing the remote. I called the front office, and got the unfriendly woman. She said she would look for a remote. Several hours later, I called back, and someone else answered. He said he was unaware of the missing remote, and would get me a spare, and would give me a call when he had one. I never received a call from him.

Walking along the boardwalk we saw several places nearby that had vacancy signs. I was curious as to the prices, and was surprised that all of them had rates 25-30% below what I paid, even with the AAA discount.

Despite the upgrade we received, with this terrible experience, we will not be coming back to the Royal Clipper.