“The most friendly staff I have ever experienced!!!!!”

Royal Clipper Inn and Suites
Ranked #35 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 13, 2012

The Royal Clipper was a perfect, cost friendly place for me, and a couple of friends to stay while we were in Virginia Beach for the Dodge Rock & Roll Half Marathon. We are pretty health conscious before races and simply loved having the kitchen in our room. The grocery store was only a couple of blocks down the road enabling us to make our own meals. The beach was right across the street and the STAFF at this hotel are amazing, They excel at keeping it personal, each person who stays there is treated like a person not a number. They even went the extra mile to extend my checkout into the late afternoon when I encountered some delays.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed September 8, 2012

Room was clean and up to our standard. Service from hotel staff was Excellent. Access to beach and place's to eat was easy to get at. I would recommended this hotel highly. Paking of our car was easy with no problems.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 6, 2012

My boyfriend and I recently stayed there for 4 nights, and we really enjoyed it. We got a great deal on the price, which beat every hotel around them. It was extremely clean and in a great location. It was nice to wake up every morning and see the ocean right across the street. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Next time we visit VA Beach, we will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2012

.friendliest staff, well kept rooms,great price and short walking distance to beach. Me and my family will definately be returning soon!!Our daughter also loved this room plenty of room for a toddle to run in without getting hurt:)

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Joshkulp
Reviewed September 3, 2012

The rooms were very small but they looked like they had been recently updated and they were very clean. The staff was very friendly. They even let us check in early after driving all night to there.

The pool was small but it is a beach so you'll probably spend most of your time in the ocean. The exterior of the building is a little rough looking, but as i mentioned it looked like the actual rooms themselves had been redone recently. The only real downside was the location. It was fairly far from the busy areas so it took awhile to walk to all the boardwalk attractions.

If you're looking for a nice, quiet, inexpensive hotel I would definitely suggest checking this one out.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Stayed at the Royal Clipper Inn and Suites the week of 8/20/12. I'm a first-timer at the Royal Clipper. The best part about the RC is its location. It is literally across the street from the beach and the price was reasonable considering its location. I booked a room which was a nice size. The only drawback was a small bathroom, and the vanity was outside the bathroom. Even with that, it wasn't too inconvenient since the vanity was a nice size with plenty of room for storing your toiletries. The rooms were clean and well-stocked with towels, and cleaned on a regular basis. The pool is small, but if you plan to be on the beach a lot, then it's not a big deal. As I said the location is great. It's right across the street from the beach/boardwalk, although at the quiet end. This suited me just fine since I would rather rest up in the quiet than try to rest with a whole lot of noise. Plus, getting to entertainment is easy if you're up for a stroll, or you can catch a shuttle right outside the Clipper. The shuttle runs straight down into the center of town and runs quite frequently and only costs $1 one way. Relaxing, dining and a lot of free entertainment thrown in. BTW.. The staff I encountered were friendly and the manager was very accommodating. You can't beat that.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 18, 2012

From the moment we arrived, I had a bad feeling. It was July 4th week and my family just wanted to spend a few days at the beach. It was the hottest week of the summer. When we tried to check in, the manager insisted we had booked 2 suites and wanted to charge me. I had a confirmation for 1 suite. He finally took that off. Maintenance guy came in to ask about A/C problem in Room 330. Manager, Brian, told him to find a new unit. Guess what room we got. So, checked in. Door in 330 would not lock. Just could push open. They did fix that after about 3 tries. We left to go to dinner and when we returned, A/C was not working at all, the refrigerator was not working and our room smelled like a garbage can because our food in the refrigerator was going bad. In addition, but these seem like small things, TV's worked intermittently, WiFi did not work (Manager told us to just keep trying), no elevator to 3rd floor (try lugging suitcases for 6 people up 3 flights of stairs in over 100 degree weather). The final straw came at 10:30 PM and we went down to the front office to try to resolve. No other rooms available. Lauren was the bright spot of the whole horrible event. She tried her best. We just wanted our money back and wanted to move on to another place. It was late, we were hot and tired. She called her manager (Brian again). He would not refund our money and the best he would do is only charge us for one night if we left immediately. We weren't even in the room 5 hours. He hung up on me. Lauren came up to our room and she saw everything we were complaining about and agreed we could not stay there. The next day, AAA called trying to get our money back. Brian lied and said we just didn't like the room and that people had been staying in there all day, with no complaints. Again, he refused. I even wrote a letter to the owner of the hotel, Mr. Vachhini providing him the details and requesting a refund, but never received a response. I can't even say he got the letter because Brian told me to send it to the hotel and he would forward to him. If the A/C and refrigerator would have worked, we would have gladly stayed there. My family can live without TV and internet. The rooms were actually quite nice, but a little deceiving in the pictures. Again, we could have made it work, but with no A/C and no working refrigerator, it was impossible. So what was supposed to be an enjoyable 3 days at the beach, became a very bad experience. Fortunately, we were able to find another hotel @ 11:00 at night and they were very accommodating.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 330 at the end of a blocked hallway with no air able to move through and no elevator acce...