“NEVER Again!!!!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Virginia
“NEVER Again!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2009

We spent 3 days and two nights at this hotel with two children (6 and 20 months). When we first arrived my husband and I both just looked at each other. But surprisingly the rooms weren't as bad as the hallways. The room itself was ok. The air conditioning would not turn off. But after talking with the front desk we decided to just deal with it by putting towels overtop weighted down with our bags. The bath tub did not drain very well so I refused to give my 20 month old girl a bath. I held her in the shower instead. Breakfast was okay. Last time we stayed at what is now the Holiday Inn Express for the same or less and they offered a continental breakfast as well - Holiday Inn's was better by far and we weren't required to eat in a breakfast area. At the Surfside they required everyone who ate breakfast to eat in the breakfast area. We weren't allowed to take food back to our room.

But the last straw for me was when I went down to the parking garage just in time to see my car being towed. Luckily I arrived in time so we didn't have taxi fees, towing and impound fees. But as soon as I saw my car being towed I told the tow truck person that was my car. He told me my car was already on the lift and he needed $25. I then got in the car to get my son's medicine (the reason I had went to the car) but was told I was not allowed in the car. I told the tow truck driver I needed to get my son's medicine and call my husband in the hotel to bring down the $25. After I got the medicine and called my husband I got out of the car and the tow truck driver asked if I had the money. I said my husband does, I just called him, that he was in the hotel on the 6th floor with our two small children (6 years old and 20 months). He then responded by getting in his tow truck and driving away! Panicked because I couldn't afford to have my car towed off, I then climbed up on top of my car with the tow truck still driving and continued for a short while. Then the tow truck driver got out and told me if I did not get off my car he would call the police and have my [--] arrested and taken to jail. In the meantime, the hotel employee on duty that day/evening was standing right there. I looked right at him, showed him our placard and said we were guests and asked if he could PLEASE tell him to wait until my husband comes down. He replied he couldn't do anything. Luckily during all this my husband finally shows up, we pay him his money, and then the tow truck people drive off without giving us a receipt. Our placard was not up in the mirror like required, but the office had our license plate number in the system. Because of how things worked out I learned the hotel employee did a walkthrough of the garage, saw our car did not have a placard displayed in the front view mirror so called the tow truck company. We spoke to the hotel employees, the hotel manager, as well as the hotel owner. In the end, they did mail us a refund for our tow truck fee (which at first they said we needed a receipt) and mailed us a $50 voucher to stay with them again, but as far as I'm concerned I wouldn't spend another cent on this establishment. The towing policy is supposed to protect their hotel guests. The hotel employee only needed to look in the system to see we were registered guests (which my husband swears the guy did but called anyway - his story changed a number of times). If they know nothing can be done once the tow truck company has been called then the hotel employees should be making sure that they are not having guests towed. But then again maybe that's just me and my idealistic world. Thank goodness this happened the last night we stayed. When we spoke to the hotel manager I told her there were a number of other cars in the garage which didn't have placards displayed in their window, to which she responded they were towed as well. If the cars belonged to unregistered guests then great. But the way our incident was handled I don't believe they cared whether we were guests or not. My 6 year old son was in tears worried because someone was "taking" our car. We could have dealt with all the other nuances, but the tow truck incident - NEVER Again.

1 Thank indzonemili
sales_manager, Director of Sales at Four Points by Sheraton Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, October 26, 2009
Our hotel sits on the oceanfront and parking is often at a premium in the resort. Anyone who has been at the beach is aware of that. We have many problems with the surfers, beachgoers, people wanting to walk the strip, and many others that pull into the parking garage and just leave thier cars. When our guest then try to park to go to their room then there isn't any place to park. She would have been equally angry should that have happened. When we check guest into the hotel we always give them a parking pass and tell them to hang it from their rearview mirror or sit it on their dash. She did neither. At some point we were having problems with the extra cars and naturally call the tow truck to remove all the cars that didn't have passes. Hers didn't and so was towed. She says the clerk gave several accounts about the liscense number not being in the system. Either way he didn't see it or it was typed in wrong. Regardless, the pass wasn't on the car. She then most have noticed the car being towed. The clerk was called and told that there was that there was a woman on top of her car and was screaming cuss words at the driver. When the clerk got there he said she grabbed her pass from her purse and threw it on the dash. The tow driver told her that he would release the car if she gave him $20.00. According to the driver and the clerk she was quite angry and wouldn't get off the car. The driver said the could wait for her husband. She kept on until the driver got angry and started to drive the tow truck and the car with the guest on top. If she had been somewhat calmer then when her husband returned with the cash the driver would have released the car and the hotel would have reimbursed her for the $20.00. From all accounts the two (driver and guest) were not very rational. It is unfortunate the her son had to witness this. The clerk said the two were out of control and he wasn't getting into in it until things settled down. She was reminded that not only do we tell guest to put the pass on the rearview mirror but we also have the guest inital the bold, highlighted, and in capital letters the statement which reads "PARKING PASS MUST BE DISPLAYED AT ALL TIMES WHILE ON PROPERTY, OTHERWISE YOUR CAR WILL BE TOWED AT OWNERS EXPENSE" She said she just forgot. She was reimbursed.

We are like all business, we work off of receipts. So yes, she was asked for the towing reciept. There isn't anything unusal about. In fact, it would be hard to believe if any company just handed out money without a receipt.

We were never informed that she had a tub problem that is an easy fix. She was also told that the control for the air conditioning is on the wall.

I will have to agree with her about the hallways. We should be remodelling them shortly. I am so sorry she will not be taking advantage of her letter of credit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Boston, MA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2009

We spent 2 nights at the Surfside with our kids (8 and 14). The hotel is old and worn, but seemed clean enough. The room was small -- a tight squeeze for the four of us and our luggage.Unfortunately, we had several problems -- all fairly minor, but together made the stay difficult. In our room, 2 lights were not working. Only 1 was fixed during our stay. The rug near the balcony door was so worn that tacks were starting to be exposed and were stepped on (ouch!). On our first full day there we had to inform the desk at 2:30 that our room had not yet been made up (The staff was very polite and responsive to this). The biggest problem was the elevator. Although there were two, often only one was working we waited as long as 5 minutes for an elevator at times. The breakfast was not worth eating and the complimentary popcorn in the lobby was always gone when we passed by. We were surprised that there was no wifi.
The location on the beach was great, but the beach is lined with well located hotels. I would suggest choosing a different one!

2 Thank Carries529
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2009

My husband, myself and our two kids ages 9 and 5 stayed at the Surfside Oceanfront Inn for four nights. Overall we had a very pleasant stay. The hotel is clean. Our room had two queen beds and felt a little bit cramped. We may try the suite next time. However, we left the room in the morning, spent the day on the beach, and returned in the evening so the room size wasn't that important. If you are traveling with older kids, the suite may be more roomy.

We really loved the 24 hour coffee and drinks station, and the fresh popcorn. If the kids were thirsty coming in off the beach, it was really convenient to have a cold drink (apple juice, water, lemonade) available. The continental breakfast also made it very easy and economical to eat before heading out. It was basic: cereal, bagels, bread, english muffins, oatmeal packets, mini-muffins, mini-donuts, fresh fruit, peanut butter, jelly, cream cheese, etc.

They also have an indoor pool which was great for the day it rained.

The staff was friendly and helpful. We are looking forward to our next trip.

Nesconset, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2009

Our two day stay at the Surfside, was completely enjoyable. For a beach hotel, this establishment hits the spot. If you're searching for a reasonably priced and efficiently run hotel, with slightly above average accommendations, this is the place. If you're looking for the Ritz-Carlton type hotel, this is not it. Surfside is a family-oriented establishment with a friendly staff. It is situated in a good part of the strip. On my own scale of 1 to 10, I rate this hotel at a 7 to 8. Oh, the little restaurant, downstairs, known as Fishbones, is a great place to start your day.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Pgh,Pa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2009

We go to the beach every summer and this summer decided to try a new hotel.Based only on reviews we read here we went with the surfside.We got a better deal on our room by calling the hotel and using our aaa discount.We had a king room(809) and it was a nice size,we had no problems with anything not working,and it was really clean.There is onsite parking and while the spots are kinda small as long as you do not have a huge truck you should be fine.Overall we enjoyed it so much that we ended up adding a extra day on to our trip cause we didnt want to leave.The staff were all friendly and helpful and next year we will stay here again.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pgh_smokahontas
Washington, DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2009

Overall, our experience at the the Surfside Inn was great! I didn't search around for the best price but it was ok. We really loved having a balcony facing the ocean!! During the evenings, we would break out a six pack and some wings and enjoy the view. Our room was comfortable and the A/C was nice and cold. We plan to go back and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
KYgirl
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2009

Right on the beach. Beautiful oceanfront view. Friendly Staff. Clean room. Now for the downside...AC didn't work, reported to front dest, repair man came immediately, did something to AC unit but it still didn't work so they brought us a fan. I asked another couple on the beach if their room got cool enough and the answer was no. They actually went to Walmart themselves and bought a fan for their room. We were told the AC units didn't work with Freon, it was a cold water cooling system??? I asked a front desk person about the AC units not cooling properly and she gave some vague answer and started looking in the back room for a fan. I took it, 2 fans in the room now and still hot. We didn't switch rooms because we weren't offered a switch, and we figured it would be the same in any of the rooms if it was one with the old AC system so we toughed it out. We are usually just in the room for showers and sleep but it sure made it tough to sleep. When checking out, I was NOT asked about my stay, so I volunteered my thoughts on the Air Conditioning not working. Had a different front desk girl and I asked point blank if this hotel had problems with the Air Conditioning and she admitted they did and they were working on it. She said she was sorry about that but offered no compensation of any kind. The parking garage is extremely tight. I noticed a small sign on the front desk about giving the hotel a review on tripadvisor and getting a discount on your next stay. I doubt I would get a discount for this review... CLEAN, SMALL, HOT ROOM WITH A FABULOUS OCEANFRONT VIEW AND EXTREMELY TIGHT PARKING GARAGE.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
sales_manager, Director of Sales at Four Points by Sheraton Virginia Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, August 12, 2009
We were having a heat wave during this guest stay. The A/C was having a hard time keeping up. The heat index was 113. This area is not accustom to that type of heat. The average temperature for August in Va Beach is mid 80's. I am very sorry this guest was uncomfortable. After the season we are going to try to remedy the situation so that if we have another heat wave next year we will be able to handle it better. I didn't realize it was that bad. I am very sorry this happened to this family. It was never brought to my attention. I staff knows to bring any complains to my attention but this one slipped by.