“Love the Dolphin INN”

Ranked #94 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Lexington, VA
“Love the Dolphin INN”
Reviewed December 10, 2008

EXCELLENT! Arrived and checked in early. Rooms were spotless. Average size motel rooms. Sofa and beds very comfortable. Huge Jacuzzi but couldn't use it in the morning as there was no hot water. Maintence immediately checked and said all water had been used so I had to wait. The first night the wind howled under the door keeping me awake, next night I put spare blanket down blocking it. There was contact paper over the window from the bathroom to LR. Very Large thick towels, nice toiletries. Could not get on their wireless internet though, signal to weak. Would we go back? Already planning too in the spring! I would highly recommend it! Parking lot is very tight and if hotel is full parking is difficult. In the summer I would park and use trolley but it doesn't run in off season.

• Liked — jacuzzi seperate rooms
  • Disliked — parking wireless was horrible
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Scottsville, VA
Reviewed November 28, 2008

We have stayed here many times. The building is old but refurbished okay. We are AARP members and the establishment accused us of breaking something because they got the date we stayed and room number mixed up with another one. Big hassle and no one contacted us or double checked the records before charging my card. No contact number for manager of establishment. Be careful it seems to us they ran a scam.

• Liked — View of the ocean
  • Disliked — Billing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Raccoon_lady
VaBeach09, general manager at Dolphin Inn, responded to this review, February 25, 2009
Dear Valued Patron,
As the General Manager for the Dolphin Inn, I sincerely apologize for the mix-up in billing. Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention; I ensure this issue is investigated and will be prevented from happening to future guests. Again, I apologize for any inconvenience.
Sincerely
John-Michael Rivera
Dolphin Inn
portsmouth,va
Reviewed November 23, 2008

the hotel was okay but there was a lot of disappointments i asked for two room with queen size beds but instead i get one room with 2 beds and a pull out couch i decided to go swimming but the inside pool was close to early the parking is to tight and the pictures they display on the computer looks nothing like the place

• Liked — jet tub
  • Disliked — to small
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank letuce
Hanover, Virginia
Reviewed August 16, 2008

I just got back from staying at the Dolphin Inn for 3 nights. This motel was not our first choice but we waited to long and this was the only motel that had a suite. If you want to call it that. We booked the room online with the Inn because they gave us the cheapest price. First let me say I have not been to VA Beach in a long time well because frankly I got tired of getting bad service everytime I went somewhere there but we decided to stay in state this year. The service here at the Inn was great. The staff was very friendly right down to the maintance people greeting you in the hall. The service everywhere we went was great. (I found out from my nurse who I seen this week that she has a timeshare at VA Beach and said that the City has been "kicking it up a knotch the past 5 years) Upon ariving we did get into our room a hour and a half early but could not find a luggage carrier. The staff even helped to try find one and couldnt. The whole time we were there I never seen one. We had 6 people in our suite and It was cramped. The suite is basically a bedroom with 2 twins and a sleep sofa in the living room, mini fridge and microwave, coffe pot, little sink in the kitchen if you call it that, some coffee cups and plates. The kitchen is basically a hallway. Blowdryer and ironing board. 2 televisions. Small table with 2 chairs in living room. In my opinion it was a standard room with a sofa bed. I dont know where they get suite from. The decor is nice but not done by a professional. All the towel rack were about to come out of the wall. This Inn is very very old. If your looking to do some swimming at the pool forget it. It only holds 12 people max and is 20' X 18' . I am not sure if all the rooms are like this but on our balcony there was a large vent and every time the ac came on the vent would blow air out of it ruining the sounds of the beach at night. The rooms themselves are pretty soundproof. We never heard any of our neighbors the whole time. The jucuzzi tub was nice but what do I know I have never been in one. The Inn does seem to bee "in the middle of it all". Shops, bars, street entertainers, peir. They even had a stage next to it that had bands play everynight from 8-10pm. Over all our stay was nice but I have been to better at this beach. One thing I will advise is if you are looking to rent bikes do not go to the the Howard Johnson next store. Their bikes are extreamly old and hazzardous. If you do be sure you inspect them carefully before signing the contract. There are alot better places to rent from that have nicer, newer bikes and they only cost a few dollars more.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — pool
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank monzster
Washington, DC
Reviewed August 15, 2008

We really enjoyed our stay at the Dolphin Inn. We loved having a beach front suite. And the suite was very nice also. The front desk was very helpful and curteous. I will recommend this hotel to all of our friends.

• Liked — the beach front suite
  • Disliked — no air conditioning in the elevator and no lobby
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
Virginia
Reviewed August 3, 2008

The Dolphin Inn hotel appears to have around 64 rooms, with about four rooms (suites) on most floors and each room has a street view and ocean view. Next door is a decent size park area where they have evening concerts from various local bands. The music stops somewhere around 11pm. This could be a good or bad for anyone staying there, since the music can be quite loud inside your room.

The two level parking deck at the Dolphin can be *VERY TIGHT*. Large SUV’s may find it very difficult to maneuver around in there. You will not have room to park a second car. If you do try to park a second car there, they will tow it! There are several public parking areas, but they are several blocks away.

There is only one elevator, and it’s a bit claustrophobic when you need to bring suitcases and/or beach items, along with other guests trying to use it for their own needs.

Although my family had stayed at this place for the first time, this wasn’t our first time staying at the beach. We’ve stayed at several other places around this area, so we were not impressed with the rooms here. We had rented several rooms on one floor, and they all looked the same. They have one bedroom, one living area, one kitchenette, and one bathroom.

The bedrooms are big enough to fit two double beds, one night stand, one television stand, an ironing board, and a safe. One side of each double bed is against the wall with the night stand in between each bed. I would have to guess the room size as being about 12’ x 14’.

The living area is about the same size as the bedroom. It comes with a couch that pulls out into a double bed. There’s are 2 end tables, a television stand with TV, a desk with chair, and a small two person table with chairs.

The kitchenette is basically a six foot long counter with cabinets above. There is a small bar sink, a small microwave, a half size refrigerator, and a small coffee maker. In my opinion, this barely qualifies as a kitchenette.

The bathroom is large, and comes with a Jacuzzi/bath/shower.

Each room also, has a balcony, but it’s small, especially when you are up on the higher levels of the hotel. It’s about three feet wide by 12 feet long.

The general feel of each of the suites was a feeling of being tired and just barely kept. It almost looks like they should be paying a professional maintenance person to take care of the hotel instead of having their own people. Shelves in one bedroom were barely hanging on the wall and the bedroom door was next to impossible to close because the door sticks very severely. Years of paint were on hinges. The bathroom appeared as though they tried to remodel it, but really didn’t think things out.

There is a small guest pool on the 8th floor. It appears to be 12’ by 16’, and did I mention that it was small?.

The friendliest employees there seemed to be the maids. One of the office clerks was very short with us when we asked a few questions about local parking. If they didn’t know, they could have been friendlier about it. Perhaps we just happen to catch them at a wrong time or something.

We booked way in advance and got the rooms for around $270, and 2 people could be comfortable in a room, and three at the maximum. (They state that six people can stay in one room.) The pictures on their web site make the rooms look bigger and nicer than they really are.

All in all, I’ve stayed in better, dumpier Holiday Inns, but considering that we had ocean view from a prime real estate area of Virginia Beach during the peak season, I guess that I can’t say too much. I do know this. This will be the last time that we stay at this hotel. I think that I could do better at another hotel for the same price.

(OUT OF 5 STARS)

Bedrooms = 2
Living area = 2
Bathroom = 3
Kitchenette = 2.5

• Liked — Location to beach
  • Disliked — Suites are smaller and dumpier than web pictures indicate
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
New York
Reviewed July 27, 2008

What a great hotel!!! After reading the reviews of the Dolphin Inn we were a little concerned but we went with our own instincts and am I glad we did. The rooms were renovated beautifully. There was two oversized double beds in the bedroom and a queen size pull out sofa. The whirlpool tub was so relaxing after walking the boardwalk and Atlantic Ave at night. We had six people in our family and we were very comfortable. The view from the room was extraordinary and we were right in the middle of all of the entertainment at night on Atlantic Ave.
The housekeeping staff was so great....especially Barb who was assigned to our room. She went above and beyond her job responsibilities to make sure that we were comfortable and that all of our needs were met. When we needed anything extra we called down to the front desk and within minutes we had the towels, coffee, etc.
We visit Virginia Beach every year and we will definitely be staying at the Dolphin Inn again!
I am not sure where these other people were coming from saying it was not a good hotel, but we were pleasantly surprised and very, very happy and can't wait to stay again next year!
If your looking for a hotel with the big fancy lobby this isn't the hotel for you.....but I don't know about you but I certainly don't go to Virginia Beach to sit in the hotel lobby.

• Liked — The wonderful view and outstanding staff and cleanliness of the hotel
  • Disliked — If I had to chose one negative it would be there is only one elevator
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family