“Do NOT stay here!”

Dolphin Inn
Ranked #95 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
“Do NOT stay here!”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I have a family of 5 two adults three small children, I'm driving away from this nasty place as I write this! The hotel was disgusting! Bathroom has mildew all over, beds are nasty with no fitted sheets! Seriously there's millions of people that have done who knows what in them beds and your gonna tell me they don't have proper sheets? That's plain out Disgusting. Not to mention, the parking is ridiculous my brand new explorer was hit by someone who wasn't even a guest shouldn't have even been in the parking garage which holds maybe 12 cars yes little cars that is. So that goes to show their so called security SUCKS! They didn't do anything allowed the woman to leave the scene of an accident I had to ask them to call the police after one of their workers witnessed it! Thank god I walked down in the middle of her hitting my car or I wouldn't even have known what happened! That's not even the main problem I had a babysitter w my kids while my husband and I went out for a walk without any warning they had police beating on the door not even identified as police because someone was smoking supposedly on our floor which clearly wasn't from my room that had my three small kid in, my teenage babysitter was told by me not to open the door to Anyone! So when I got back shortly after all of the kids along with the babysitter were beyond scared crying hysterically! When I went down to the office to speak my mind about what happened(there is no lobby) the security guard lied straight to my face and said he was there and then an hour later I find out he wasn't there a different security guard was. Said they smelled an odor and were going room to room seeing where it was coming from. The staff never called the room or identified themselves when trying to enter the room. The staff did nothing! This was the worst place I have ever stayed in my life. They don't even give you bedding for their "pull out couch" not to mention they were supposedly renovating gettin new couches, ha! New? try old stuff from a nasty motel, stains all over it along with the carpet. When checking out I asked others that were having problems if the police beat on their door like they did mine? Because according to staff they did, so I went door to door asking if it was true seeings he had already lied to me, come to find out they didnt! I offered for security and staff to come check my room search all my stuff. Because my husband nor i smoke, my son actually had severe asthma and couldn't even be in a room that someone was smoking in, which brings me to another issue the non smoking hotel they say they are has ash tray on every floor so people smoke right in the hallways! Instead they were too busy dealing with about 5 other unsatisfied guests. The elevator was a joke they have 11 floors and had the 11 th floor locked out so we had to ask if we could get to our floor somehow w all of our luggage? Seriously? Then the staff was locking it out constantly to bring in their couches that were supposedly new (maybe new to them but probably garbaged picked from a motel that was shut down) that are sitting in the parking garage (no joke) freaking disgusting!! There was one worker there that was nice and helpful the gentleman that got the license plate number of the lady that hit my truck that's about the only positive thing I could say about this place. And before I end I see I forgot to mention another nasty aspect the pool that maybe holds 12 people maybe! Was disgusting! Wouldn't even let my kids go in it! I also wrote them up on the better business bureau. And will be contacting my lawyer about discrimination! And am calling their corporate as soon as I can get out of this place. The staff did nothing to make this any better didn't give me any compensation for the horrible vacation they made us have! The hotel is right next to some type of concert set up that plays loud music at all hours into the night and will echo throughout the rooms kept my kids up all night every night not to mention the whistling from the wind blowing through the bottoms of the doors which have no seals on them. Really don't have anything positive about this place. Pay a little extra and stay somewhere else!

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Reviewed July 24, 2013

The only good thing about this place is the location. Great location in the middle of all the action.
But the hotel itself was very dirty and needs updating immediately. The bathrooms were gross. The toilet was loose and didn't flush right. The bathtub was disgusting with dirt stains and hairs.
The pool is terrible. Super small and not very clean. Also while we were there it came up a storm. They closed the pool. Which I understand when there is lightening. But the storm went away and there was only rain. All the other hotels had their rooftop pools open. This place would not open the pool. Our children asked repeatedly for them to please open it. To which they said they would call when they could open it. They never called. It never opened all day long despite the fact that there was obviously no thunder and lightening and despite the fact the other pools on the street were open. It was extremely frustrating because on a rainy day with an indoor pool THAT is about the only thing to do.
Another bad thing is the parking garage is tiny and awful. No place to park and very tight. We watched several cars struggle to get out of the parking area and almost hit the wall and other cars.
The last issue was that they were under construction BUT we NEVER saw anyone come and do any work. They even said we may have to move our cars for the workers but no one ever came to work on the building.
Pay a little more for a better stay and avoid this place.

• Stayed June 2013
Stanley, Virginia
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We arrived early, (around 11) knowing check in wasn't until 3 but I've never had to wait until actual check in time if I've arrived early. Staff was usually pleasant. We had 5 people in our room & they only gave us 5 towels at a time. 3 of the 5 people were women! The room was just not very clean in general, couch was old & gross. Glad we brought an air mattress bc the pull out was super uncomfortable. We realized this was an older hotel & would not be perfect but they need to do some renovating! Not that picky when it comes to a place to stay considering we don't spend much time at all in the hotel. Bathtubs are gross, housekeeping came 1 day out of 3 & they didn't even vacume. Pool was soo small may as well not have one! Only good thing was the location on 17th street bc we were within short walking distance to everything. PARKING deck is sooooo tight! My vehicle got scratched & we squeezed into a spot next to a wall thinking that would help. Spend an extra 100-200 & get a nicer newer hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Candace1985
Reviewed July 16, 2013

At the start, some problems with parking but was resolved. The toilet in our first room overflowed into the kitchen and living room. We were given a new room immediatley.New room was fine. Balconies are good size and had great views. We could see a trapezze act from our room. All in all good for the price but most likly would not come back.

• Stayed July 2013
Flatwoods, Kentucky
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Ok a family of five Two adults three children age 10, 12, 12. We need a place for 5 and we need bedrooms for kids at a good rate that don't break the bank!! We know we was looking at above $200 a night for that many people. We paid $1400 for Five nights.
You can find better for the price and we will next year.

Let me say the staff was Friendly to us and have no complaints with them But, ...
The Hotel policy does not use FITTED SHEETS no protection from what is on the mattresses they need to use at least a mattress pad FLAT sheets don't work!! If you didn't move in your sleep you would be fine. Hotel needs many updates men was working on cracks in the building but the place needs major overhaul.
The Pool SOO SMALL I am serious the sign says 12 people max in the pool that is the truth!! Furniture has many stains and feet was always black when you walked around your room. I told my kids to leave there shoes on until bed time each night.
Couch bed paper thin Housekeeping never would make that bed up. When question about it they said that was hotel policy to not touch it.
If you looking for the action on the boardwalk you our right in the middle. You will have LOUD music late into the night everynight.
There is No seal around the doors the wind would Howl under the door, we had to put a towel around it for the sound to quit. You walk right up to the hotel doors from out side no interior corradore. NO SAFTEY. They have no lobby to enter. I would not stay again.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!!!!