“Liked the location, Room was OK” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ocean Key Resort

Ocean Key Resort
Ranked #32 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
“Liked the location, Room was OK”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

My wife found a deal online to a one-night stay at Ocean Key. We found the hotel to be a nice one night stay open with great boardwalk access and easy to find for us Carolinians. We checked in late and the check in process went smoothly. Here are my trivial gripes - I had to repair the flush mechanism on the toilet ( a 2 min. Fix) and the TV remote would not work. I did not call for help since it was late.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
BMitchellvsaresorts, General Manager at Ocean Key Resort, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to fulfill your family vacation needs. We appreciate your kind words about the location at the Ocean Key Resort.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Vienna, Va
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

I truly enjoyed my one week stay at Ocean Key Resort. Bill Mitchell and Staff were wonderful. In particular I would like to say Kudos to Theresa at the front desk, she was immensely helpful, full of good ideas, and quick to find the answer an questions and to do any research that we needed to make our trip more enjoyable.

Thank you Theresa!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BMitchellvsaresorts, General Manager at Ocean Key Resort, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Thank you for sharing your vacation experience at the Ocean Key Resort. I am pleased that you enjoyed your vacation with us and mentioned our wonderful staff, especially Theresa.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

We had gone down to VA beach to surprise my sister for her wedding!! I found a great deal online on a room, but I had to do a timeshare presentation. Which was fine! I am in the market to buy a timeshare anyways, so this was a win win situation! BUT when we arrived and checked in everything was fine. The next morning when I went down to do the presentation, I was told that I couldnt do it because my live in boyfriend was not with me? I was NEVER advised that he had to be with me. To me, it seemed like a scam. They wanted to charge me full rate for the 3 nights. At this point, the staff was very rude, and we left and put our money to better use at a resort with kind and well trained staff. Bill Mitchell, the hotel manager was very kind and helped out alot. I would just suggest that the staff get re educated. I don't like being lied to, let alone right to my face with a bad attitude. It was not very good customer service. I have very good friend that are bussiness owners and when I told them about this, they were amazed! The point is, I was told one thing on the phone and told another when I arrived. Is that how they get you there? We will never know!! This was a lesson very well learned!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Angie91201
BMitchellvsaresorts, General Manager at Ocean Key Resort, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
I apologize for the miscommunication and inconvenience this caused. Thank you for your feedback as it will help us improve our guest’s experience in the future.
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

our one bedroom unit was nice and clean. the staff is very is very friendly (maurar really knows what's going on and was very helpful). it is nice to have more than just a hotel room to come back from the beach to. the living room was a little small but comfortable, the bed room is large and has lots of closet space, the bath room is large, clean and had all the hot water you could want. the unit had a full kitchen and though it was small it had everything you'll need. everything was very clean and although they don't do room service they do have a towel exchange every day and free guest laundry. and my favorite part of our unit, a flat panel HDTV in booth the living room and the bed room. I could watch football and she could watch something else. the only cons: no outdoor pool, only one window, and not on the beach (but only about 100 yards right across the street).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jeff H
Thank you for sharing your vacation experience at the Ocean Key Resort. I am pleased that you and your family enjoyed your time with us and mentioned our beautiful Resort, amenities, and wonderful staff especially Maura. I appreciate your choosing VSA Resorts and look forward to your family’s next vacation in Virginia Beach.
Darlington, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is a very nice place,we have been here four times!The staff are very nice,very helpful!We always see Larry working everywhere,and he is so nice and helpful! The rooms are very clean and the beds are great,i have a bad back and the beds there have a lot of support! The bathrooms are large.We have been in some that the bath rooms are tiny,not here,nice and big! Beautiful pool! We love it here.Thank you Staff! Excellent!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Gerald M
Thank you for sharing your vacation experience at the Ocean Key Resort. I am pleased that you and your family enjoyed your vacation and had returned over the years. We appreciate you mentioning our resort amenities, and wonderful staff - especially Larry.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

Checked in a couple of hours ago. Check in was so nice and easy. We did it from the car and our reservations were in the system :) No problems. The staff has been very helpful in getting us settled into the resort. We are in our unit on the 9th floor overlooking the Verizon sponsored bandstand. Great view of the ocean and the bandstand. GREAT for people watching :) The resort is well staffed with pleasant people. Fireworks are on for tomorrow evening and we have front row seats on our 9th floor balcony. Looks like we'll be here next year also :) Nice having a living room, bedroom and kitchen area :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank George C
BMitchellvsaresorts, General Manager at Ocean Key Resort, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing your curb-side check-in experience with VSA Resorts – only we offer such a convenient and friendly option to standing in a long line to start your vacation! I appreciate your choosing the Ocean Key Resort and for sharing photos of your 9th floor view of the American Music Festival.
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Yes, we do own a timeshare at the Ocean Key and you have to understand that this was an old hotel converted into timeshare. So that being said "Yes" the units are small but there was only 4 in our family so it was big enough. The units were remodeled a few years back and they have been well kept since then. Each year there seems to be another feature added that makes the resort better. We like to get an early start driving into Va Beach to avoid the traffic and I was suprised to find the room available and ready to check in by noon. I like the fact also that the resort is at the end of the strip by Rudee Inlet so the traffic is much less at that end of the beach. HOWEVER, there is one DOWN side of our stay for the last few years. We have asked to upgrade to a balcony room looking towards the ocean. Each year they will upgrade but for a $60 a night fee. REALLY??? We are owners at the resort which should afford us some perks. I know that some of the oceanside room are vacant each night and I think if a owner asked to be upgraded and the room is available then they should be granted the favor. Next year we will try again and hopefully the answer will be "Yes".

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank DannyDebbie
I appreciate you sharing your vacation experience with the Ocean Key Resort as well as your timeshare ownership with VSA Resorts. I understand your concerns with the availability of the balcony units. Fortunately, those units are completely sold out for ownership and the upgrade fees are part of the rental proceeds which are paid directly to the timeshare owners participating in the rental pool. Please let me know if you are interested in speaking to one of our vacation consultants in reference to an upgrade in your ownership, which might better fit your family’s needs. I look forward to your next visit with Ocean Key Resort!