“Great Place to Vacation”
Review of Ocean Key Resort

Ocean Key Resort
Ranked #33 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Yes, we do own a timeshare at the Ocean Key and you have to understand that this was an old hotel converted into timeshare. So that being said "Yes" the units are small but there was only 4 in our family so it was big enough. The units were remodeled a few years back and they have been well kept since then. Each year there seems to be another feature added that makes the resort better. We like to get an early start driving into Va Beach to avoid the traffic and I was suprised to find the room available and ready to check in by noon. I like the fact also that the resort is at the end of the strip by Rudee Inlet so the traffic is much less at that end of the beach. HOWEVER, there is one DOWN side of our stay for the last few years. We have asked to upgrade to a balcony room looking towards the ocean. Each year they will upgrade but for a $60 a night fee. REALLY??? We are owners at the resort which should afford us some perks. I know that some of the oceanside room are vacant each night and I think if a owner asked to be upgraded and the room is available then they should be granted the favor. Next year we will try again and hopefully the answer will be "Yes".

2  Thank DannyDebbie
BMitchellvsaresorts, General Manager at Ocean Key Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

I appreciate you sharing your vacation experience with the Ocean Key Resort as well as your timeshare ownership with VSA Resorts. I understand your concerns with the availability of the balcony units. Fortunately, those units are completely sold out for ownership and the upgrade fees are part of the rental proceeds which are paid directly to the timeshare owners participating in the rental pool. Please let me know if you are interested in speaking to one of our vacation consultants in reference to an upgrade in your ownership, which might better fit your family’s needs. I look forward to your next visit with Ocean Key Resort!

There are newer reviews for Ocean Key Resort

Reviewed August 23, 2013

As an owner for 21 years I always have a great and relaxing time when we go there, My room is fantastic, nice and spacious for my family. As usual all hotels have thin walls but we've gotten used to it. Nice and friendly staff, activities daily, easy walk to the ocean, and dining is just a short walk. Lots of sites to see, and activities either walk to, or a short drive. Can't wait till next year.

2  Thank Ed B
BMitchellvsaresorts, General Manager at Ocean Key Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Thank you for sharing your vacation ownership experience with VSA Resorts. I appreciate your ownership at the Ocean Key Resort and look forward to seeing you and your family next year!

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Our family has never been to Virginia beach. We planned our trip a week before our vacation. We looked at several places and read a lot of reviews. We decided to stay at ocean keys and we were very pleased. We spoke with Patricia from the rental agencie and she was very professional and answered all of my questions. I requested a room with a view of the ocean and balcony and that's exactly what we got. When we arrived at the resort, parking was very convenient and several spots are available. Check in is at 3:00 and we arrived an hour earlier which was fine since our room was ready. The front desk staff were very friendly, always saying hello and smiling. Finding luggage carts was easy and they have several of them. Our room was on the 7th floor and was clean and spacious enough for the three of us. We never used the pool, hungout on the beach instead nor did we eat at the pizza place located in the resort. I would go back to this resort.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank cowkid
BMitchellvsaresorts, General Manager at Ocean Key Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Thank you for sharing your vacation experience at the Ocean Key Resort. I am pleased that you and your family enjoyed your vacation with us and mentioned our beautiful Resort, wonderful staff, especially our Vacation Consultant, Patricia. I thank you again for choosing VSA Resorts and we look forward to your family’s return in the near future.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Pros:
Unit was clean
Bathroom was a good size
Some Friendly and Helpful Staff
Across the street from the boardwalk and Seafood Rest.

Cons:
No room between the pull-out bed and the table
The bathroom is practically located in the kitchen -- not sure who thought of that genius idea
Not very spacious room due to the layout
Hotel seems outdated
Parking garage has super narrow spots
Instead of being able to ask for new linens, you have to give back your old ones first
No housekeeping
Pool and jacuzzi in the lobby
Walls between room to thin
You have to take your own trash out

Not sure that I'd come back here.
I suspect that the resort gets the #2 rating because the time share owners go on the trip advisor and post great reviews. I would stay at the Hilton Hotel the next time I go.

3  Thank RuiApril

I apologize that our accommodations and sustainability measures did not meet your expectations. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

We arrived for a 3 night stay and we were placed by the vending machines with a view out the back of the hotel. I asked at the front desk if we could have a room on the ocean side and we were given a room on the ocean side that was available probably because it was next to the trash room. It was better then our original room so we stuck with it.

Upon entering the room I went to the restroom and immediately noticed the toilet had not been cleaned. There was dried urine all over it. I called down to the front desk and after about an hour someone came and cleaned it.

The pool is very small. For us that's fine because we go to the beach to go to the beach.

Overall, this is a good place to stay with your family because it has a cooktop, microwave and refrigerator. This way you don't have to eat out for all of your meals. A pull out bed for the kids and a king size bed for mom and dad.

I really had hoped our return trip would have been as good as our first. I was just left grossed out by the fact that something so obvious as the toilet hadn't been cleaned. It made me wonder what else wasn't clean.

On a side note, I would have thought management would have contacted us to apologize for the unclean bathroom. We may stay at ocean key next year, but I'll be exploring other options...something I didn't even consider for this years trip.

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank aolejer

I apologize that the Resort did not meet your expectations and appreciate your feedback, as it helps us constantly improve our guest’s experience.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

I was very pleased with Luis, the van driver. He was courteous, helpful, friendly, considerate and a cautious driver. I went on several trips within the area and was always happy to see his smiling face and knew I would be safe.

Accommodations were good, with problems such as no water for an extended period of time on Thursday and also on Friday for a shorter period. Cleaning of the pool should be done at night and not during the day. Internet service was sporadic. I was surprised that cleaning of the unit was not done once in midweek as promised by RCI. Towels and sheets were available for exchange though.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Rose H
BMitchellvsaresorts, General Manager at Ocean Key Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us and for allowing us to address it during your visit. I am pleased that you enjoyed the our van excursions and appreciate your mentioning Luis’ courteous service.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We went the weeks of July 6, and July 27. We love this resort, is very clean, we love the pool, hot tub,and the activities they have for every day. Also the staff is very helpful. The Manager is very concerned and he does make sure we feel like at home. We recommend this resort 100%. We are looking forward to go back.

The Canabal Family from Midlothian, Virginia

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank beachlover240

We take pride in our customer experiences at the Ocean Key Resort and we look forward to your next vacation in Virginia Beach with VSA Resorts.