“Nice place to stay”
Review of Ocean Key Resort

Ocean Key Resort
Ranked #39 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Ocean Key is a very nice resort with courteous, professional, and friendly staff. The room we got was nice and tidy, with pull out sofa and large bed in bedroom. It was equipped with kitchen and dinnerware for 6, along with many extras (i.e. toaster, griddle, Pyrex glass bakeware, pots/pans and utensils) to make your stay homesome. While we didn't use much of it, it is nice that you could do something for your family if needed.

There is no cleaning service during our week's stay, but you can easily exchange linens and towels as needed. Room comes with vaccum which is very handy to clean up that beach sand that gets treked into the room. The walk to the beach is very very short, and this place is a great stay if you are ok not be right off the boardwalk. You literally just cross the street and there you are, on the Boardwalk.

The staff was very helpful anytime. I was very impressed that the General Manager came to check up on the visit in the middle of the week to ensure everything was ok. It showed that he and his staff really wanted their visitors to have a nice stay at this place, and it was much appreciated.

There are activities planned each day for the family in the gameroom. The activity staff was great, friendly, and helpful with area recommendations for dining. Our family attended many crafts when the weather was not cooperating outside, and my kids say those crafts were memorable likings for the entire trip. (They love the Pony Beads and free popcorn).

We also visited the pools, which were heated. The pools are adequate. Ocean Sand is a sister property with a bigger pool, and they let you use either pool that is convenient with your own family's outings. My only thing is the poles in the parking garage are a bit hard to manuever around, but oh well, just be careful driving and parking.

Overall, I thank Bill, Cristina, Tes (sp?), Ava, and one other older lady on 3rd floor I didn't get the name for a nice vacation and their customer service. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: 6th floor has washer/dryer, so there is a lot of traffic and the hallway is warmer due to dryer heat...
2  Thank 951Kevin
BMitchellvsaresorts, General Manager at Ocean Key Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the Ocean Key Resort and for specifically mentioning, Cristina, Taylor, Eva and myself! I appreciate your positive feedback and look forward to your next vacation with VSA Resorts.

Reviewed June 12, 2012

Great place to stay, the location is perfect and the service is superb. Last minute trip to VB and this resort was able to provide a room for two nights. Nice and roomy for 3, food on site is always a good thing when you are tired. Beach is located a short, short walk away but not to close. Nice beach view with balcony seats for night time cigars and cool drinks. I stay in places world wide and some are great and others are just okay. The remark heard around the world from Florida to Africa is "you get what you pay for". That comment allows place to just keep raising the price. This location gives you much more than you paid for... A great staff with excellent customer service, a good feeling coming in and out, always a place to park and even when crowded in the mornings the staff has the heards moving in an orderly fashion...Priceless

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean side view, 6th floor or higher, the ocean view is relaxing and quieter up high, low...
2  Thank Henry J
BMitchellvsaresorts, General Manager at Ocean Key Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Thank you for sharing your detailed review about the Ocean Key Resort. We are glad you decided to stay with us on short notice and look forward to seeing you and your family in the near future.

Reviewed June 12, 2012

We had a great time at ocean key realsort in Virginia beach va! The people at the hotel were great!! food was great, the beach and entertainment were really good. We would definitely go back again! My only complaint is the room next to us set their alarm to go off at 9 am every morning so that was a bit annoying but not the hotels fault.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Metsgirl311

We are happy to hear you and your family had a great experience, and we look forward to your return in the future.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

I really have to wonder about the previous review. A Hilton owner exchanges into a non-Hilton resort and compares it to such. The reviewer also has the expectation to be upgraded to a unit with a balcony without paying the upgrade fee. I guess their Hilton ownership gives them a sense of entitlement. The reviewer was disappointed. Perhaps her expectations would have been met if she had stayed at the Hilton in VA Beach. Ocean Key shouldn't be dinged for the choice that the reviewer made. Ocean Key does not tout itself as a Hilton-type property.

We checked in on Friday, 6/8 and stayed through 6/10. Yes, these units are small. However, I have stayed at most of the timeshare resorts in Virginia Beach over the years and small units are typical. No, I wouldn't want to put four into one of these units, but that could be said for just about any timeshare or hotel that I have stayed in at VA Beach.

The unit was very clean and well-equipped. We were in a 5th floor unit. Yes, I chose to use the steps up and down (except for check-in/check-out) because the two elevators usually required wait times. Again, this is something I have experienced at most timeshares and hotels in VA Beach.

While across the street from the beach, it is located on the corner with a traffic light and cross-walk and we never had a problem crossing. As soon as you crossed, you were on the boardwalk within a few steps and at a beach access.

Any staff that I encountered during my stay, were always nice and friendly, and spoke if you passed them.

There is no cleaning service during the week; however, towels and linens can be changed out 9:00 am - 9:00 pm. A vacuum is provided in the unit.

There is a small pool and hot tub located in the lobby. There is on-site parking and most of it is covered. We never had a problem finding a parking space. We did order take-out from the on-site restaurant. It was okay, but I would probably never eat there again. The food was mediocre and there are just too many other options within walking distance of the resort.

I would happily return to Ocean Key in the future.

Room Tip: There are limited rooms with balconies. The balconies are very small with two chairs and small table...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Egret1986061

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at the Ocean Key Resort. We look forward to your next visit to Virginia Beach!

Reviewed June 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this resort from 6/1 until 6/8 as an exchange through RCI for a one-bedroom suite. The unit itself was rather small and quite dark. The furniture was rather uncomfortable but the TV's were large and mounted on the wall. The lighting was terrible and the only daylight was from the small window in the bedroom. There was no balcony and the room did not face the ocean, it faced the parking lot. When we asked about an ocean view room, we were told we could upgrade for $50/night. That would have cost more than our entire exchange fee for the week.

There is no usual mid-week cleaning. If you wanted clean linens you had to bring them to housekeeping and exchange them and then make the bed yourself. Not something I wish to do while on vacation! The elevators were painfully slow. Sometimes you had to wait a full five minutes or more. It's not like there are dozens of floors; they just move really sloooooooow. They did provide Wi-Fi, however, you had to login every few minutes as it kept switching back to 3G on my phone and my husbands as well. The guests on our floor were very noisy and rowdy, not what I expect from a time-share.

Lest you think it was all bad, the bed was comfortable and the unit was well stocked with dishes, pans, cooking utensils, etc. The bathroom had a hair dryer and soap and shampoo in containers on the wall. While there was no mid-week cleaning, it was clean when we arrived. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The resort is located across the street from the beach and there are a lot of good restaurants around (just don't go to the one in the lobby, Roma's). See my separate review of them.

Oh, and one more thing - they do not have any luggage racks in the whole place. How can you operate a hotel/time-share resort without luggage racks? I had to use two of the kitchen chairs to unload my suitcase. Annoying. All in all a disappointment. Maybe my standards as a Hilton time-share owner are too high.

Room Tip: Be willing to pay additional money for a room with light (and a view).
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TravelAdvisor99

I apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations, as it did not meet my expectations either. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us an providing feedback for our improvement.

Reviewed June 5, 2012

What a pleasant surpise. The place was outstanding. Excellent customer service. Newly renovated and nicely decorated. The location was great for the Patriotic Festival. The management (Moura) was great in fulfilling all our requests

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent vacation at the Ocean Key Resort. Maura and I especially appreciate your acknowledgment of her dedication and hard work..

Reviewed June 5, 2012

In town for the funeral of my beloved Aunt. After the sudden travel, I arrived at the Ocean Key Resort at evening time. The staff was welcoming and helpful. The pool is upfront where you're checking in so there's an overwhelming smell of chlorine immediately as you enter. But the smell is slightly cut by the aroma of Italian food cooking to the attached restaurant next door. We'll talk about the food later. I hear they have planned activities throughout although, I have no idea what they are; I spent all of my time with family helping plan the funeral.

Upstairs finally, the suite is spacious and inviting. The living room dining area combo was brightly fit. 32" TV front and center. The kitchen was very well stocked with the right kitchen necessities; even a blender! Yippee; since I was driving my breakfast every day. I was never disappointed when needing anything in the kitchen. Bathroom was extremely clean, also well stocked with towels, shampoo, liquid soap for the shower and sink; hair dryer. There was no fear of falling in the toilet in the middle of the night. It was funny because it was the first thing I noticed! It was the size of a pea (no pun intended)!
Ahh, the bedroom! Big room, big bed, big mounted TV, I likey!

Reasonable storage, safe, vacuum, ironing board all in one place. Remember I said "aah the bedroom" Keeping in mind I only needed this place to sleep. I'm sharing this rather lovely space with my mom and dad; they had the master bed (dammit) I had the sofa-bed (#bedfromhell) My only complaints are the beds. They're the worst! The second night I slept on the couch instead (#muchbetter). Dad and I wound up switching because their bed was too mooshy and hurt his back. Please for the love of God do something about the beds; they're the most important thing.

You have access to clean linen daily. Since this is a vacation condo, you supply yourself with your own food, cleaning supplies and trash and food baggies.
All of this is just half a block away from the beach. You can see the ocean from the room. I also had a great view of the cove and marina.

NOW THE RESTAURANT! I spent only one evening in the room and I spent it with some great Italian food (#itsreallyreallygood). Everything was amazing, even the fried cheese. Overall rating, thumbs almost up (#tooexpensive). I spent over $16 bucks ordering fried cheese and a Stromboli. Sorry I don't remember the name, but you won't miss it. That's it kids!

Room Tip: Ask for the room on the seaside.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

We offer our condolences to your family for your loss and appreciate your feedback regarding your experience at the resort as well as our restaurant, Roma’s NY Pizza..