“great service, great location, good enough rooms”

Best Western Plus Virginia Beach
Ranked #20 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed July 27, 2010

My friend and I stayed here for one night during a girls' beach getaway. We would definitely return.

We left Richmond around 7 a.m. and arrived at the Best Western Oceanfront way early. Check-in is at 4 p.m. Yes, the parking lot is small, but we found a spot right away. We went in, explained that we were checking in that evening, and asked if they could hold our bags so makeup, medicine, snacks, etc. wouldn't be melting in my car all day. They happily held our stuff and gave us a parking permit.

After a day at the beach, we checked in. This was also quick and friendly. Our room was on the first floor, which isn't my favorite, but it was for 1 night, so no big deal. Because we were right outside an event room, we could hear plenty of noise going on in the hallway outside, but this didn't really bother us since it was only during the day/early evening.

I stepped outside to look for an ice machine, and an employee who was setting up a room for an event immediately asked me if I needed ice and directed me to a room that's usually used by staff only but that was more convenient than wherever the ice machine was. Very nice.

The room was a bit dingy, but that's about what I expect from a beach hotel. It was very clean and completely met our needs for a 1-night stay. The location is great. It's right on the beach and I think all the rooms have ocean-view balconies. It's walking-distance to all the bars, restaurants, shops, and of course, the beach.

The next day the staff again held our bags after we checked out while we spent one more day on the beach. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Virginia Beach

Reviewed July 21, 2010

Parking is horrible. The service is terrible. Room mix up placed 7 of use in one double room with a cot and 2 cribs. No microwave. No breakfast or even coffee. No help on room situation and we checked out! The hallway and elevators with no air conditioning. It was probably 110 degrees in the hallway. Sent me a broken crib. The poor workers there are working in horrible conditions. Pay the extra money if you are a family ith small children and go else where.

Reviewed July 18, 2010

The Best Western Oceanfront was a good place for our family vacation. We stayed 5 nights and liked the location of the hotel as it was right on the boardwalk and we had an ocean view room (be careful that you don't get the standard non-ocean view rooms across the street on Atlantic Ave, as I wouldn't have wanted to stay there. They didn't have balconies and NO ocean view at all, just a view of their little outdoor pool.). But we stayed in the ocean view rooms on the 7th floor. The only real complaints I had about this hotel was that the elevators needed servicing (4 elevators that were working when we got there on Monday, but only 2 were working when we left yesterday on Saturday when it was the busiest time). Parking right in front of the hotel is probably not going to happen but it takes only a minute to use the parking garage, and those slots at least are shaded! We saw one guy make his wife stand in a parking spot in front of the hotel for like 10 minutes while he was doing something with the car (we couldn't figure out what) and she actually stood there...guarding off people like they'd have to run her over to park there. Absurd really...it didn't take any time at all to walk across the street! And if you are loading/unloading bags, you have room to do that without even finding a spot, you just pull in and unload at the front door. It really wasn't that big of a hardship...
The plumbing worked great (I always worry about that in large hotels), showers were consistent, hot, and nice. Housekeeping is sort of slow but it was so HOT there this past week that I didn't blame them any. It was just hard to "chill" in the room in the aftrnoon when they were going to be coming in to clean any second...at 3:30 pm...
I thought all the staff were very friendly.
One warning of the area (this was our first visit to VA), we thought the food pricing was expensive. Our first night we didn't know where to go so the hotel recommended Captain George's Seafood Buffet off of Laskin Ave. When we got there, it took a stand in line to get seated...and then we were told it was $28 a plate....and only my husband and I even liked seafood. But we took it anyway ( two kids suffered thru it). For that kind of price, for a buffet, per person....I would have really expected higher quality. I guess if you want to eat your fill of crab legs, you MIGHT get your money's worth after fighting the crowd and getting what you want from the buffet...but I just wouldn't waste the money or time! I seriously left hungry. Not what we were expecting for our first night there.
We bought beach chairs and an umbrella across the street at one of the beach stores...cheaper than renting on the beach. AND cheaper than the super K-Mart nearby.
The ocean/beach was great. We sat out on our balcony every night and listened/watched the waves and the people on the boardwalk. Great time. The food of the area (including Angelo's downstairs at Best Western) were all a disappointment. But, we were there for the beach.

Reviewed July 4, 2010

Just got back to Ohio last night from our wonderful vacation. We arrived very early--over 2 hours before check in and they gave us a room, woohoo! The location (7th floor for us) was incredible and the views were gorgeous! We were amazed at how much the doors drowned out any sounds!! The staff were all very nice, the room was clean. The indoor pool was greatly enjoyed by our two young children and never overcrowded. The restaurant was decent, a bit overpriced for the food. The parking lot in front was definitely hard to get a spot in but we succeeded several times! We honestly preferred the garage across the street except for checking out so we didn't have to tote so much stuff across the street. Only takes 1 minute to get to the hotel even with a 4 year old in tow :) All in all, after having stayed at a B&B for two days prior to our arrival here, we realized that chains work best for us at this stage of our life and I think the choice was excellent and would 100% return t Best Western!

Reviewed June 27, 2010

I stayed at this hotel on Thurs and Fri night. Due to the reviews regarding having to wait for early check-in, I arrived around 3.45pm on Thursday. No problems whatsoever with the check-in. The front desk staff was very friendly. They had just opened a concierge desk that recommended activities and had discount coupons. My oceanfront room was clean and the beds and pillows were quite comfortable. There was a fridge and coffee maker, but no microwave. The bathroom, however was very small. The ocean view and the location on the beach was spectacular!

The only thing negative I can say is that the hallways were not air conditioned and extremely hot and humid ( 100 degree weather). But a positive outcome to that is the heat kept anyone from hanging out in the hallways making noise.

Oh parking....very few spaces on location, but there is a non-oceanfront annex right across the street with a garage. So I had no problems with the parking. I did notice, though, that some people were not able to get a designated parking space and they parked on the garage ramps.

When all is said and done I would recommend the oceanfront rooms and I would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 8, 2010

Hotel is located on the beach. Lobby is nice and updated. The room Itself was clean but a little out dated with the decor. My only advice is do not upgrade to the Whirlpool room. All of these rooms are located right in front of the elevator and stairway exit. Sleeping with a one year old we were woken several times through the night (into the early morning) by people coming and going and having lengthy loud coversations outside our door. We had breakfast at the hotel resturant. We were told that they were only doing a buffet. NOT WORTH THE MONEY but the people were nice. Overall it was a good expreience. If we did go back I would consider staying there again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 2, 2010

The room was great. 3rd floor with balcony overlooking the ocean. Room and linens were clean, staff very pleasant. Indoor pool was a huge plus. Could not hear outside noise when door was closed.
Cons: Cable TV with HBO equates to 14 total channels. No kids channels for them to unwind after a day at the beach. Didn't realize they didn't realize they didn't have continental breakfast (thought all places did now days) or even a lobby with coffee. If eating breakfast there, you had to pay $9 each at the hotel restaurant.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family