“Adequate rooms, great location, satisfied!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Oceanfront Virginia Beach

BEST WESTERN PLUS Oceanfront Virginia Beach
Ranked #16 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Central Wisconsin
“Adequate rooms, great location, satisfied!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2010

The Best Western Oceanfront was a good place for our family vacation. We stayed 5 nights and liked the location of the hotel as it was right on the boardwalk and we had an ocean view room (be careful that you don't get the standard non-ocean view rooms across the street on Atlantic Ave, as I wouldn't have wanted to stay there. They didn't have balconies and NO ocean view at all, just a view of their little outdoor pool.). But we stayed in the ocean view rooms on the 7th floor. The only real complaints I had about this hotel was that the elevators needed servicing (4 elevators that were working when we got there on Monday, but only 2 were working when we left yesterday on Saturday when it was the busiest time). Parking right in front of the hotel is probably not going to happen but it takes only a minute to use the parking garage, and those slots at least are shaded! We saw one guy make his wife stand in a parking spot in front of the hotel for like 10 minutes while he was doing something with the car (we couldn't figure out what) and she actually stood there...guarding off people like they'd have to run her over to park there. Absurd really...it didn't take any time at all to walk across the street! And if you are loading/unloading bags, you have room to do that without even finding a spot, you just pull in and unload at the front door. It really wasn't that big of a hardship...
The plumbing worked great (I always worry about that in large hotels), showers were consistent, hot, and nice. Housekeeping is sort of slow but it was so HOT there this past week that I didn't blame them any. It was just hard to "chill" in the room in the aftrnoon when they were going to be coming in to clean any second...at 3:30 pm...
I thought all the staff were very friendly.
One warning of the area (this was our first visit to VA), we thought the food pricing was expensive. Our first night we didn't know where to go so the hotel recommended Captain George's Seafood Buffet off of Laskin Ave. When we got there, it took a stand in line to get seated...and then we were told it was $28 a plate....and only my husband and I even liked seafood. But we took it anyway ( two kids suffered thru it). For that kind of price, for a buffet, per person....I would have really expected higher quality. I guess if you want to eat your fill of crab legs, you MIGHT get your money's worth after fighting the crowd and getting what you want from the buffet...but I just wouldn't waste the money or time! I seriously left hungry. Not what we were expecting for our first night there.
We bought beach chairs and an umbrella across the street at one of the beach stores...cheaper than renting on the beach. AND cheaper than the super K-Mart nearby.
The ocean/beach was great. We sat out on our balcony every night and listened/watched the waves and the people on the boardwalk. Great time. The food of the area (including Angelo's downstairs at Best Western) were all a disappointment. But, we were there for the beach.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Milford, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2010

Just got back to Ohio last night from our wonderful vacation. We arrived very early--over 2 hours before check in and they gave us a room, woohoo! The location (7th floor for us) was incredible and the views were gorgeous! We were amazed at how much the doors drowned out any sounds!! The staff were all very nice, the room was clean. The indoor pool was greatly enjoyed by our two young children and never overcrowded. The restaurant was decent, a bit overpriced for the food. The parking lot in front was definitely hard to get a spot in but we succeeded several times! We honestly preferred the garage across the street except for checking out so we didn't have to tote so much stuff across the street. Only takes 1 minute to get to the hotel even with a 4 year old in tow :) All in all, after having stayed at a B&B for two days prior to our arrival here, we realized that chains work best for us at this stage of our life and I think the choice was excellent and would 100% return t Best Western!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2010

I stayed at this hotel on Thurs and Fri night. Due to the reviews regarding having to wait for early check-in, I arrived around 3.45pm on Thursday. No problems whatsoever with the check-in. The front desk staff was very friendly. They had just opened a concierge desk that recommended activities and had discount coupons. My oceanfront room was clean and the beds and pillows were quite comfortable. There was a fridge and coffee maker, but no microwave. The bathroom, however was very small. The ocean view and the location on the beach was spectacular!

The only thing negative I can say is that the hallways were not air conditioned and extremely hot and humid ( 100 degree weather). But a positive outcome to that is the heat kept anyone from hanging out in the hallways making noise.

Oh parking....very few spaces on location, but there is a non-oceanfront annex right across the street with a garage. So I had no problems with the parking. I did notice, though, that some people were not able to get a designated parking space and they parked on the garage ramps.

When all is said and done I would recommend the oceanfront rooms and I would stay again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2010

Hotel is located on the beach. Lobby is nice and updated. The room Itself was clean but a little out dated with the decor. My only advice is do not upgrade to the Whirlpool room. All of these rooms are located right in front of the elevator and stairway exit. Sleeping with a one year old we were woken several times through the night (into the early morning) by people coming and going and having lengthy loud coversations outside our door. We had breakfast at the hotel resturant. We were told that they were only doing a buffet. NOT WORTH THE MONEY but the people were nice. Overall it was a good expreience. If we did go back I would consider staying there again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Candor, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2010

The room was great. 3rd floor with balcony overlooking the ocean. Room and linens were clean, staff very pleasant. Indoor pool was a huge plus. Could not hear outside noise when door was closed.
Cons: Cable TV with HBO equates to 14 total channels. No kids channels for them to unwind after a day at the beach. Didn't realize they didn't realize they didn't have continental breakfast (thought all places did now days) or even a lobby with coffee. If eating breakfast there, you had to pay $9 each at the hotel restaurant.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Lynchburg, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2010

This hotel was very pleasing. Great location, clean, helpful staff. Beds were very comfortable, clean, nice linens, everything worked. No complaints. Restaurant questionable. Was surprised that outside pool is across the street from the main hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Fairfax, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2010

I had stay just one night of the weekend for a friend's wedding in Va Beach and we stayed at this Best Western Oceanfront and got a great deal, $91 for the night total, but it came at a price.... for one, it was across the street in what seemed to be a motel that is apparently part of the Best Western Oceanfront rooms complete with its own pool just outside my door on the 2nd (top) floor. The room was definitely not sound proof as I not only heard every sound coming from the drunks in the pool at 11pm but also the sensual sounds of the bed squeaking next door; loud and clear might I add! My girlfriend and I decided to drown out sound with louder sound so we just turned up our 2 TV's and finished watching Forrest Gump in 'ghetto' surround sound. Thankfully by 12:30 all sounds around us died out and I decided to finally get into the bed. My body still itches just thinking about how filthy that bed must have been. The moment I got into it, I was itching all over and thinking to myself, I should probably get tested for herpes after this, thankfully I was a little drunk from drinking earlier and ultimately fell asleep. I had to laugh at a sign that read "if any items are missing from bathroom, it will go on your bill"... i'm guessing their usual clientèle steals all the towels. Overall, I did not feel I was staying at a Best Western, more like a really bad Motel 6. Only redeeming factor was that there was free Wi-Fi, that is why it gets one extra point on the rating! Not worth the low prices, I will learn my lesson and pay the extra $20 for a real hotel and not a re-badged motel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple