“It did the job...”

Best Western Plus Virginia Beach
Ranked #17 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I highly recommend that people do Ocean-Front. However, if budget does not permit, or you are looking for one of the cheapest rates at a reputable hotel close to everything then you might want to opt for the Non-Ocean-Front rooms. Just keep in mind that Non-Ocean front rooms do not have interior corridors and have a different feel than the main hotel across the street. However, It does get the job done. You are close to everything!

Room Tip: Pick Ocean Front rooms!
2  Thank NJDominican

Reviewed August 27, 2012

Really, this is what their "West side annex" should be called. Booked 7 nights with my girlfriend. We honestly do not have amazing standards, we've stayed in a lot of 2 stars hotels and we've stayed in some Best Western before but this was just terrible in comparison to anywhere we have ever stayed. I don't even know where to start off.

I booked this trip in two parts through hotwire as a 3 stars hotel and nowhere was it mentioned that the room I booked was not in the main building. It was to my surprise when I called the hotel and got told that it was non-oceanfront and that it was in another building. Tried to cancel this rip-off through both the hotel and hotwire but was never ever able to do proceed with it so I stopped playing ping-pong with the rude staff on both side and decided to live with it. They didn't even let me upgrade my room to one in the main building.

The building across the street is totally run-down. Get an umbrella on rainy days or you will get drenched. The ceiling over the stairs outside is leaking everywhere. About the room... two double beds in a room that was not so clean at all, random brown/black spots walls. The carpet had not even been cleaned and looked really dirty. The bathroom was extremely small, the bath was clean but the shower curtain was way too long and had mold all over it. The towel rack could not have been more rusty. Some of the bed sheets and some of the pillows had red marks and spots around. The beds were comfortable enough though. The view was great, if you like concrete. The room was near the pool and parking garage which were extremely noisy. We could also hear the TV from the next room pretty clearly, it was not soundproof at all. We found/killed a roach on the second day. It took two days to have someone spray whatever product on the carpet. Asked twice for the door to be fixed since there was an obvious gap at the bottom, they never came. But hey, we got a 10% off at the restaurant when we complained! Like if this is going to keep bugs off our luggages...

Breakfast from 6 to 9am, ends a little early if you ask me. Place is way too small for all the guests they have staying. We had to wait in line up to 25 minutes on some mornings. Scramble eggs, sausages, waffles were OK. The restaurant staff and the chef were friendly though. Parking was extremely small and it turned into a lake every time it rained. The WiFi connection was very bad, it kept on disconnecting every now and then. If we wanted TV we had to turn on the lights because all the appliances in the rooms were connected to the same switch, even the alarm clock. As for housekeeping, it was OK but kinda inconsistent.

Overall the location is amazing and close to everything but apart from that it was our worst hotel, see motel, experience. Avoid this run-down bug hole and check the surroundings instead.

Room Tip: AVOID the west side building rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank waves086
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We found this hotel on a last minute, first time visit to VA Beach so we didn't know what to expect. We stayed on the oceanfront building and got an oceanfront room. Wouldn't want to stay on the old motel side.

We had a great view of the ocean & boardwalk from our room with our own little balcony. The room itself was very clean, but it could use some remodeling like new paint on the walls.

The hotel is in a good location and close to everything. You can either walk or take the WAVE shuttle right outside of the hotel. It has that going for it.

Our stay included breakfast, but only ate there once. Standard breakfast buffet, which we're not big fans of.

Overall the hotel was OK. It could use some serious remodeling all around. Everywhere from the restaurant to the carpeting and the hallways, it seems very dark & outdated, like 20 years outdated.

We loved VA Beach, but probably wouldn't stay here again unless we got a really good deal.

1  Thank camezquita
Reviewed August 26, 2012

This place was titled a dump because it was dirty, When we got to the BW plus The outside part of the hotel was shiny on the windows, poorly that was the only thing clean about this Hotel.
We had our Beachfront resavations Mon-Fri and came a day early And we wanted to see a room they showed us a room, The bathroom was very small, and so was the room, The white walls had black marks that looked like someone took a crayon and drew them Small balcony with no fruniture on it and two very small beds TV screen was small also the carpet was very dirty, And so where the walls The Pool was across the street at the regualer BW.
NEVER STAY AT A BW AGAIN!
Stay at a cleaner hotel like The Cavalier or the Hilton.
if i didn"t have to rate it I give it a 0

3  Thank Ilovetapdancing6
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We arrived a day prior to our reservation date. Thank goodness because that gave us time to search for another hotel. The lobby, which should be appealing, was filthy. The white tile floors look like they had never been buffed & waxed. There is years of ground in dirt. The halls were filthy, peeling paint, floors looked unvaccumed in days. We asked to see a room prior to check in, the walls were dirty and marked up. Before seeing the room, we inquired about checking in early, they offered an astronomical rate (mind you, our reservation was for 5 days) & wouldn't match the rate of their competitors'..those hotels were nice, clean & updated. When we found a better place, I canx with BW within 24 hrs of the alloted cancellation time (have it in writing). I was assured a refund for the 1 night I was charged when initially making the reservation. A week goes by, no refund. I call the property to inquire & got some BS story how it takes a long time. Finally the clerk looks up my info & tells me 72 hrs are required to canx & get refund. When I told him I have in writing I could canx up to 4pm on my ck in date, he balked saying this is the policy. I told him I have grounds with my written conf. He sweetly patronized me & treated me like an idiot. I had to call the central # & get them involved. They called him to inform him they must honor policy that was in place when I made the original reservation. Still awaiting my refund from 10 days ago. If I could give this 0 stars, I would. Also picture is deceiving, it is taken from across the street to show the pool as part of the property..yes you have to cross a busy street to use the pool. Boardwalk side of hotel looks really rundown, the front side looks nice. A serious demolition is needed

2  Thank Andrea G
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I would strongly recommend against staying here! This is the hotel that has made me swear off of staying at Best Westerns ever again. It's worth it, to me, to pay an extra $10-$20 a night to go somewhere else and not have to worry about carrying home cockroaches in my luggage. I stayed there Mon-Fri - they put us up at a room directly outside of the pool (loud and noisy at all hours. Pool hours are not enforced). The room was ok. Not super up to date but didn't seem too dirty. Mostly it was just dingy. But what could I expect from a Best Western? Also, the eating area (restaurant) for continental breakfast was dirty and the tables were sticky. Again, what could I really expect from a Best Western?

I could have overlooked all those things, but on the day we checked out, we found a 3 inch long cockroach in our room. We told the hotel staff who first tried to tell us that it wasn't a cockroach (I think they were trying to get us to stop saying 'cockroach' in front of other guests. The internet is a thing, people.) They sent over a maintenance guy who just sprayed roach spray all over the bedroom, and in the bathroom (I ended up leaving more than $20 worth of products in the bathtub because there was roach spray all over). He didn't kill the bug, just said "oh well, it went into the drain." As soon as he left, it came back out of the drain and was crawling around the bathtub. Disgusting. We gathered our things and left as soon as possible. It was bad enough that there was a cockroach there, but the attitude of the staff (first "oh, it's not a cockroach," and then when we proved that it was, utter nonchalance, as if this sort of thing happens all the time) made me think that this is just a bug infested hole. It was a cheap hotel to stay at, but at the end I still feel like I overpaid. Please just spend the extra couple of bucks a night and stay somewhere else.

Now that it has been a few weeks, I tried to at least call and get money back from the hotel for my wasted day of vacation, and for the products THEY ruined. They refused to talk to Orbitz for 2 weeks, and finally when they did pick up, they flat out told the Orbitz representative that I was lying. Even though they have on their records that I switched rooms on the last day, and that their own maintenance guy saw the cockroach, they refused to reimburse me for anything, and they and Orbitz derided me over the phone for being a lying customer. NEVER AGAIN Best Western, NEVER AGAIN Orbitz after this. To be put through all this on vacation, lose a day and lose personal items due to the hotel, and then be put through two weeks of derision, insults, and lies to my face by the hotel? Free would be too much to pay to stay in this bug-infested nightmare of a 'hotel.'

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PghIrishHarps
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Pros: the location is great for families. It is on the north end of the beach far away from the rowdy crowds; the fee breakfast is good with a good variety offered each day; the price is very reasonable; the motel lets you store your bikes on the balcony for safety; the motel is located across the street from the WAVE bus service. I recommend using the service to get around the oceanfront.
Cons: the motel is showing a little age but is still ok; the towels felt like sand paper

All in all this is a very good place to stay for the money. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: there is a gym and indoor pool
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple