“Overall good hotel, great location, great price.”

BEST WESTERN PLUS Oceanfront Virginia Beach
Ranked #15 of 109 Hotels in Virginia Beach
Jefferson, Ohio
“Overall good hotel, great location, great price.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2011

Let me say first...I read some of the reviews on this site and I was extremely skeptical to book a room at this hotel. I went ahead and booked a hotel there anyway because I got a killer deal. I stayed 4 nights and got an oceanfront room with a king bed for 68 bucks a night. I will list the pros and cons of my visit. I stayed May 1st-May 5th for my honeymoon.

PROS:
Room was very, very clean and smelled so good! The AC was on in our room so it was nice to come in from the 80 degree weather that day.

Room was very large. We had a king bed, a refridgerator that had a freezer, flat screen LG TV, small 5 cup coffee maker, beach chairs to sit out on, a regular chair to lounge in, a desk and chair, two night stands and a dresser. Plenty of room to move around.

Had brand name toiletries (Pantene PRO-V) enough towels, Kleenex and toilet paper for the week stay.

If you don't have a laptop they have an office with two computers available for your use so you can check your email, Facebook, whatever you like.

Very warm indoor pool, almost too warm!

View to the ocean is amazing, even from the first floor where we were. You are literally 100 ft from the boardwalk and beach. It had a large work out room that also had an amazing view to the ocean while you work out, the front wall is all glass so you can look out on the ocean.

Desk staff was very friendly and helpful. Called to check on us and asked if we needed anything. Gave us suggestions on where to eat and where to go for activities.

Bed was firm, thought it was going to suck to sleep in but it was very comfortable and they give you a ton of pillows.

Quiet, no loud kids, no partying people, no sex noises coming from other rooms.

CONS:

Outdoor pool is small, and it is across the street at the non oceanfront Best Western.

Not much parking room in the lot, most of the time we had to park across the street in the parking garage, which was free, they give you a pass to display in your car.

The indoor pool was great on a rainy day as I have listed it as a pro but the water was REALLY salty! The hot tub is not seperate from the pool, its in the corner of the pool and shoots out hot water which is why the entire pool is really warm.

We had an in room safe and they don't tell you its a dollar per day to use, so we choose not to use it, yet when we checked out they had charged us a dollar a day automatically so that was a little irritating.

We booked a room with a balcony, but they put us on the first floor which had a small patio with no privacy. The balconies are private with large wall barriers so I would have liked to have a balcony.

Lastly, our room key gave us a lot of trouble but we delt with it.

Other then that, the stay was great and I would absolutely recomend this hotel.

Room Tip: The longer the stay the cheaper the room is.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2011

This was a wonderful hotel! The room was very clean and the housekeeping staff were wonderful, very friendly and accommodating. The oceanfront plus rooms had a magnificent view of the beach and the 6am sunrises everyday. For a great price the room was well equipped. The fridge in the room was very convenient, my only qualms were that the microwave was in the game room in the lobby and the incessant jet noise going on (but that's the entire Virginia Beach area. It was veryy surprising and confusing the first day). But the front desk staff were fairly nice, the location of the hotel is prime and the free parking was very convenient. Definitely a great pick for the week. The full barriers between the balconies gave complete privacy. The weather hovered in the high 80's all week and we slept with the balcony door open each night.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Charlottesville, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2011

I got out of the shower, pulled a towel down from the rack and discovered dried, caked blood on the towel. I called the front desk and complained. The clerk said "Oh dirty towels." I said no bloody ones. Housekeeping supervisor called me and said she would bring me fresh towels. I dried off using my robe. A knock on the door...and it was a man's voice saying he had towels. Had I known it would be a man delivering the towels, I would have gotten dressed as opposed to being in my robe. When I checked out, I was not given any discount and the clerks were rude. Also, the beds are hard as rocks!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Mary12269
Milton, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2011

Very nice hotel, right on the beach. Clean and comfortable. Great deal for the money. Nice continental breakfast was provided, however was told it was only for off season. Nice work out room and inside pool. Game room took me back to my youth - Ms Pacman! All in all, a great deal.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2011

Me and my hunny and his brother came and stayed for 3 days. We got in, and the refridgerator was unplugged and didn't realize it until the next day so all of our stuff was hot. The door keys have been finnicky the whole time we have stayed, and on the 2nd morning we woke up to no water. Now, the hotel can't help that the city was working on the water, but they did not even let anyone know about it. It would have been nice to have a microwave, since we have a little fridge and a coffee machine, but the coffee sucked anyway and so did the breakfast.
However, it was affordable compared to the other ocean front hotels, the people downstairs at night shift are very nice, but not during the day shift. The view was amazing, though. This is the first best western I have been to that didn't allow pets, and we had to leave our yorkie behind. :( Also, it is non smoking, but I don't smoke so it didn't phase me. The view of the beach is amazing, we chose the top floor, and the view of the city is also amazing.
The little restaurant is severely overpiced and I have never seen anyone in it. They do have a eco friendly save the bay program about not washing sheets every day if you want to participate though. Cable is free, and the internet is too, but we had to have them reset their internet to get onto it.
I would recommend this for a short stay trip SIMPLY because it is affordable. The little things matter, and all the little things here were messed up.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MarieNovember
Nags Head, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2011

We booked this hotel through Priceline and were told by them that basically they had no responsibility for the deplorable service that we experienced even though they rated this hotel 7.1/10.. (so much for their customer service!) They responded to my e-mail this way and I quote, "Rooms reserved through our website are guaranteed to accommodate up to two adults. This means that the hotel may provide a room with any of the following bed types: one king, one queen, one or two doubles, or two twins.... we have no control over the availability of amenities during a guest's stay; however, your reservations are non-changeable and non-refundable."

I booked a "non-oceanfront" room with two queen beds (thinking that the rooms were merely on the street side of the building which was ok...I never DREAMED that "non-oceanfront" meant that those rooms were in a seedy, run down old hotel behind a shabby storefront next to the parking garage ACROSS the STREET!! We were with a second party and they also booked after us through Priceline at our recommendation because we wanted to stay at the same hotel (that meant in the SAME BUILDING!!!) We checked in first and for some unknown reason when our second party got there they were told that they were being "upgraded" to an OCEANFRONT room for hotel convenience (they even let him CHOOSE the floor he wanted to be on..) which meant that they actually had a NICE room which still didn't have a microwave and was shabby to say the least. When we asked whether we could be "upgraded" as well so that we could be in the same building and even offered to pay the difference, we were told that there were no rooms available for the second day so they couldn't. (Later I went online and looked to see if there were rooms available to book for the next days date and there were at least 7 or 8 of various bed sizes etc... that I saw before I stopped looking!!!) THEY LIED TO US!!!

The room that we stayed in was absolutely horrible, and let me say that this was not the least expensive room that we could have booked and the rate was only $20 below what the rooms in the REAL OCEANFRONT hotel were!

Regarding the room, there were two DOUBLE beds, we had coffee, coffee cups and filters in the room, no sugar, no creamers, and NO COFFEE pot!! There was a refrigerator that the light did not work in but NO MICROWAVE... The television reception was awful, there were only 12 or 13 channels, no HBO and there was no remote. It took 4 calls between us and the front desk to get one brought ACROSS the STREET to us! And the young man (he looked like he wasn't old enough to shave) that was supposed to be the maintenance man told us "Oh..sorry, I don't know how to fix it any better" (he wiggled the cable in the back and left.) There was no hot water (not even luke warm) at 7am for showers, the alarm clock was plugged in to a socket between the two beds that apparently was wired to the switch by the door for the lights, because when you shut the light off the alarm clock went off too. (The electric recepticals across the room were busted so it couldn't be plugged in there!) The HUGE DUMPSTER with several old mattresses in it was less than 20 feet from our door right beside the pool I might add, and at 6:30am was emptied amid clanging, banging and backup beeping. I have no idea what the flashing lights were outside the window because by that time I was thoroughly dispirited and beaten down and didn't care anymore. The HEATER that hung on the wall only worked on BROIL or FREEZE! The softdrink machine on our side of the STREET did not work and there was no ice. The walls were paper thin and we could hear with stereophonic clarity the blaring television of the people to our left and the people upstairs talking or arguing, either way it was VERY loud.

We went to partake of our FREE CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST the next morning and were told that they were not serving it because they had booked several female baseball teams in and would only be serving the buffet which we would have to pay for!!! The food was awful and it looked like pigs had eaten at the trough!

So needless to say that the stay was, shall we say...less than enjoyable and I think that's being extremely generous! Did I tell you that I made the HORRIFIC ERROR of booking TWO days which is why PRICELINE said that my money was NON-REFUNDABLE!!!

• Stayed March 2011
Richmond Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2011

We stayed at the Ocean Beach Club Resort a few weeks ago and while we were there we went to a timeshare presentation. After the presentaton we were given a $50 gift card and a 4 day 3 night vocher to this hotel. S/N (The timeshare representatives advertised a free 4 day 3 night voucher however we had to pay $29 per night in order to use the voucher so technically it wasn't free. But you can't beat $29 per night for an oceanview room on the Atlantic strip).

We stayed from Friday 02/11/2011-Monday 02/14/2011. I read several reviews prior to reserving our room and i was very skeptical about our stay. I must say the hotel was a lot better than what I expected. The rooms were very clean, bathroom spotloss ,and service was great. Eveyone was very freindly and eager to help. The only negative thing I have to note is that there aren't any microwaves in the room. Even if they dont put microwaves in every room it would be nice if they could put a microwaive near the vending machine or ice machine on each floor.

Pros:
Location is right in the middle of the strip and walking distance to many stores and restuarants (FYI It is low season right now, so most of the busineses are closed until April).

Cons:
No microwave in the room (however hotel staff @ front desk will heat items for you upon request)

Tips: Dont go to Angelo by the sea. Food is overpriced and doesnt look very good. Also drinks are watered down. if you like seafood try out Captain Georges on Laskins Ave for Dinner.

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple