“Its less than I expected.”
Review of Burtons Grill - CLOSED

Burtons Grill
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Laskin Rd
Description: Burtons Grill is a full service restaurant featuring a variety of seasonal, traditional and regional favorites plus the best burger in Virginia Beach. Burtons offers lunch, dinner and Sunday Brunch. We love kids and parents will love our healthy kids menu! We accomodate events of all occasions from families dining casually to business meetings and special occasions. Gluten-free and vegetarian menus available. Full service bar and lounge. Patio dining. Private room for up to 45 guests. Plenty of parking and only minutes from the beach.
Reviewed February 22, 2010

I based my decision to go there on reviews posted here. Usually, the reviews are spot on, but in this case it was a little exaggerated. The meal started off well, the bread was good, but the server was very short with us the whole dinner. The server was energetic until my wife and I ordered sweet teas for our drinks and then service was mediocre at best. Our server only came to our table two other times after she took our order and that was to drop off the bill and then pick it up.

The food was descent. My wife got the ribye dinner cooked med-well and when the steak made it to the table the flavor was good, but the cook cut the steak on the grill to check the temp.....that's a big no, no people. You loose all of the delicious juices, and as a result the steak was very dry.

I got the catch of the day (bronzed mahi mahi) served on crab and shrimp risotto. The fish was cooked well, and the risotto had good texture and flavor. I would hardly say that it held up to its name, but the lack of crab was over compensated with extra shrimp. I persionally would like less shrimp and at least one succulent piece of jumbo lump crab.

Overall, it is one of the better places to eat for the price in virginia beach...if you want to impress some friends. If you are planning on taking a group there, take a trip with your significant other just to try it out. They do not sell pork or chicken as primary entrees so I would try it first.

Reviewed January 28, 2010

Upon arrival, I could see why this restaurant is #1 in Virginia Beach: Warm, welcoming atmosphere, a hostess that greeted us with sincerity and a smile, and the sound of people truly enjoying the experience of Burton's Grill. Surrounded by neutral, muted tones and classy furnishings, it reminded me of the 1930's or '40's. Our first impression was enough to make us eager for their food and we were NOT disappointed.

Visiting my son who is in the Navy and stationed in Virginia Beach, we had no idea where to take him for an exceptional lunch to exchange gifts for a belated Christmas celebration. As always, we turned to TripAdvisor; this time from an App on my iPhone which worked really well: From listing the restaurants from top to bottom, to giving us turn-by-turn directions. Burton's Grill is tucked away in a shopping center but well worth the effort to find it. (I took a photo of the front to give you a reference point.)

We read here about the warm ciabatta bread w/homemade garlic butter & herbs. Oh my! They were perfectly prepared: Warm and crunchy crust w/a soft, fluffy interior which only needed a touch, not a glob, of the garlic butter to bring out the flavor. Although Heather, our server, was fairly busy with an abundance of customers, she didn't neglect us. Instead, she warmly greeted us as she quickly glided to another table to deliver their food. She immediately took our drink order and answered any questions we had about the menu.

We explained that we'd seen them on TripAdvisor as #1, how people had raved about them, and were eager to taste the reason why. Kevin, one of the owners, had overheard us talking and made his way over to greet us as well. Although humble about Burton's #1 rating, his passion for great food and superb service was easy to see. I lamented that we only wish they were in our hometown of Annapolis so we wouldn't have to travel so far! He was a gracious host, to be sure. To our delight, he had Karen, the manager, bring us some lightly breaded, softly tender, Calamari with a perfect sauce for dipping.

Since I'd read so much about the Steak Sandwich, I couldn't resist. It was melt-in-your-mouth yummy! Thinking that I had the best dish at the table, I was quickly contradicted. My husband's Chicken Risotto was also superb. It was the ONLY risotto I've ever not just liked, but loved! Of course, this started a real discussion of just who's dish was the BEST. My son ordered the California Chicken and exclaimed that HIS dish was the best. Before long, spoons and forks were criss crossing the table and each taste of every food proved to be the best. It was impossible to choose just one!

Although I NEVER have room for dessert, I did that day: Key Lime Pie and an Irish Coffee. By this time, my only regret was that I hadn't taken photos of each dish to share with you. (Check out their website for more.) But I wasn't finished yet and so went out to the car for my camera. See attached photos to whet your appetite and entice you to make the trip to Burton's Grill.

Back to my Key Lime Pie. The crust was thin and crispy dry, not mushy like most. It was slightly sweet and very crunchy so much so that I just had to ask Heather how it was made. Here's the secret: Granola! A perfect base for THE best Key Lime Pie I've ever eaten, even in the Keys. (I actually took a trip to the Florida Keys on a quest to find the best Key Lime Pie! This beats them all!!!)

My Irish Coffee could have held its own as my dessert: Smooth, balanced coffee topped with a creamy foam which tasted of Vanilla Cognac. Bliss.

With four restaurants in Massachusetts, one in Connecticut, and now this new one in Virginia Beach, I can only hope that they are getting closer to Annapolis and me. I would love to share this hidden gem with my world!

PS... What's the TRUE test of a good restaurant? The restroom! Burton's Grill must know this because they've gone to great lengths to give it style and ambiance. From the polished TP dispenser to the sink and even the floor, it is impeccable.

2  Thank 2CtheWorld4Two
Reviewed January 13, 2010

Have eaten there many time and have enjoyed them all. Excellent food, Nicely presented first class service and a very reasonable wine list make it a winner. one of Va Beachs best. Casual and friendly

Reviewed December 3, 2009

Wonderful bread , great service and delcious food. I had the Tuna Burger, which I would highly reccomend. Yummie! I love the atmosphere in here as well, comfortbale booths. The restaurnt is classy but not to high society like.

Reviewed October 25, 2009

We walked in with jeans on and felt welcomed. When you walk in you think your going to pay high price for a meal but when you open up the menu the prices are reasonable. The ambiance was great with white table cloths, soft music and candles on top of the tables. The wine room was beautiful. The bathrooms are even upscale.

My husband had a steak sandwich, he said was so tender that you didn't even need teeth. I had a vegetarian sandwich with a side of brocolli that was delicious. My son had a cheeseburger and said it was the best he ever had. The garlic butter that they make themselves with the bread that they serve you before the meal is wonderful. It's one of the best places we have ever eaten at, and if we come back to Virginia Beach again we will be back. What a great place.