“Top Notch”

Barclay Cottage Bed and Breakfast
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 12, 2014

This stay had it all. Great people, comfy room/bed and breakfasts that were uber-delicious, lovingly prepared and presented with just the right elegance. My trip was mostly biz. Rich and Sharon were made sure everything was perfect for my afternoon client meeting that went great. But the best part were the conversations with Rich/Sharon ...and the other guests. Honestly came away feeling like I got two new friends in the bargain. Can't beat that!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank rivtrail
VABEACHB&B, Owner at Barclay Cottage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

You did get two new friends! We miss you already! We are happy you were pleased with your accommodations for your stay and your meeting. Visit again soon, we will have another uber-delicious (I love that word) breakfast waiting! Sharon & Rich, Innkeepers/Owners

Reviewed August 18, 2013

I stayed there in July with my aunt. Our stay was more then I could have imagined. It was like staying with family. The breakfast was so good and everyone was so nice. There was everything I could have needed available for use...from beach chairs, to aloe, to everything in between.

I had lost a ring there that had great meaning to me. I received an email almost a month after my stay that the ring was found. The fact that they remembered I lost the ring and contacted me says how much they care for those who stay there.

I will recommend this place to everyone and hope to come back!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank ashely w
Marie-Louise L, Owner at Barclay Cottage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

I once lost a ring that was very special to me and it was lost for one and a half years. Then it was found right in our home. That was a very long time ago and I still remember how glad I was when it was found. Imagine our surprise when history repeated itself here! We are so glad it appeared from its little hiding place!

Reviewed August 9, 2013

This is a great B&B for many reasons..exceptional hospitality..comfortable environment..accessibility to beach surroundings..comfy beds..great breakfasts..loved all of it !
The innkeepers are so perfect for their B&B & seem to truly enjoy all the fun of beach life.
All you have to remember to bring is the sunblock...they supply you w/ all the "beach stuff" you will ever need.
Although there are numerous places to stay at VB & you have many choices..this one is a winner.
We'll be back..

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LFMME
Marie-Louise L, Owner at Barclay Cottage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2013

Well, when you're home you don't have to think about all that beach stuff and that's how we want you to feel when you're here. We hope you now know that this is your beach home away from home!

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We have loved B&B's for a fair many years. And I told Marie-Louise and Steve that I was going to give them a horrible review, because I don't want anyone else to go there. That way when we want to we can :-) But since we won't be there for some time, and there place is so awesome, I have to give them 5 Stars for their place. Because I do want to return someday. Seriously, from the moment you arrive, you are family. So much so, that there is a good chance you'll get a hug, and handshake upon departing.

But seriously, this is a magnificent B&B with wonderful owners who care immensely about their clients. And have so many extras available at no charge. The bikes, and all the beach stuff (towels, chairs, umbrellas and even a cart) is available for you whenever you want to go. They truly are community based, and will refer you to whatever your inkling is for dinner that night. And super supportive of the locals businesses.

They have a wonderful porch on each floor, with hammock, swing, and comfy chairs. One night we ordered take out, just so we could sit on the patio and enjoy it.

You will not regret staying here, unless you like noise. No one under 18 allowed :-)

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Whew!!! I am glad you changed your mind and wrote a positive review! Just let us know when you're coming back and we'll save a room for you! Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to write a review!

Reviewed July 28, 2013

My (now fiancé) and I stayed here for a week and enjoyed every moment there. I say "now fiancé" because I asked her to marry me one night at the cottage and she did say yes. Now that we have this memory tied in with all of the other amazing times we has while staying there, we will be sure to stay again and again.

One of my favorite things about staying here was the fact that we were both very comfortable during our entire visit and always felt like we were at home.

Also, the attention to detail is incredible and adds to the comfortability of this place. Steve and Marie-Louise also are always up for further suggestions as to make everyone's stay as special as they can.

The breakfast is some of the best I have ever had as well! It was always a joy wondering what the next delicious dish would be every morning.

I would also recommend purchasing one of the several cigars that they have to offer if you enjoy them.

I could keep going on and on about everything that we experienced and why we loved every moment of our stay, but all in all I very highly recommend staying at Barclays. Whether it is just for a couple night or a couple weeks, I guarantee you will never be even close to disappointment. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: July 2013
Marie-Louise L, Owner at Barclay Cottage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

I am glad that you will always have the memory of getting engaged here at our inn. It honors us that you did this. Thank you for that. The hand rolled Barclay Cottage branded cigars are always a hit...smoking one while drinking Port or wine and rocking on the porch and watching the fireworks on Wednesday or Sunday night during the summer is an experience to have!!! Especially if you're with your fiancé!

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Sometimes staying with relatives can be a pain.....but there are those golden times when it's perfect! You feel welcome and at home.....your hosts are willing to be helpful, but also willing to let you be when you want it. You go home feeling like you've gotten away....but not feeling like you spent time amongst strangers....this is what being at Barclay has always been like for my wife and I. You could not ask for more genuine and enthusiastic hosts. I must travel to Virginia Beach once each summer for business.....finding Barclay has transformed a necessary chore into a treasured travel tradition for us and something we look forward to eagerly for what has now been 7 visits to our "home on the beach".

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Todd S
Marie-Louise L, Owner at Barclay Cottage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Sometimes having relatives visit can be a 'pain', too! We're lucky, though, because we get to pick the ones we want. Thanks for being our relatives 'of the heart'. We always look forward to welcoming you home.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

My wife and I have stayed in VA Beach several times. Our initial visits saw us staying at a beachfront hotel. Our last few have been at the Barclay Cottage. It is just a couple of blocks off the beach, but light years ahead of what's available on the beach.

The Boardwalk area, with all its excitement, can be a bit noisy. The Barclay Cottage is a refuge. A couple of minutes walk, two blocks, from all the beach area offers. From the warm and heartfelt welcome, to the lovely rooms, amenities, and of course, the wonderful breakfast, I cannot see staying anywhere else.

As locals and long-term residents, Marie-Louise and Stephen LaFond have keen insights as to great places to eat, sights to see, or the Cottage is a place just to relax.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank wjoconnor
Marie-Louise L, Owner at Barclay Cottage Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

"Refuge". That's a good word to describe what we strive for our guests. Many times, people are just fried from the their jobs, a long trip, the kids...whatever. We want to be that place where they come just to chill and take in the excitement...or just do nothing...it's all good and this is a good place to do either one.