“Bigger and better than I remembered”
Review of Baja Restaurant

Baja Restaurant
Ranked #141 of 1,452 Restaurants in Virginia Beach
Cuisines: Seafood, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We were pleased to return to the Baja after years of driving by the unassuming facade on the barrier "island" of Sandbridge south of Virginia Beach. What took us so long? I don't know, but we'll be back soon for the specials, the happy hours, and the view. Nothing like raising glasses to toast the sunset over Back Bay, see the photo I've uploaded.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Ate here twice while spending week at Sandbridge. First with 5 family members on a Saturday night and lastly just my wife and I early on a Friday evening. We ate inside with our group there was a wedding going on so could not eat outside. DR lacks any ambiance but is clean and functional. My wife had scallops wrapped bacon, were fine hard to screw-up. I had south of the border oysters, the zestiness of the seasonings overpowered the oysters but was properly described on menu, larger oysters would have handled the seasonings. One of party got shrimp avocado salad, very fresh varied ingredients and large shrimp dressed with cayenne aioli dressing. Others had raw oysters and shrimp and steak tacos. From people I had talked with was under impression more of a bar place truly surprisingly decent food. We did beers, wine list pedestrian.

My second visit we shared calamari, bit over cooked, drizzled cayenne aioli bit off a kick. My wife got house burger w/sautéed onions mushrooms added. Truly was close to 6 inches tall. Once she removed tons of shredded lettuce was manageable. Very good burger. I got 12 inch pizza, could easily have fed 2 or even 3. Was very good more of a pretzel bread type crust but great fres toppings. We had 2 Sierra Nevadas and 2 Miller Lights and biil was $ 60. We did eat outside, small dining area with about 8 four tops. Large well groomed grassy area with view of back bay can see why so many mention the sunsets. They have a large building outside for bands and bar scene. Would be great venue for music and drinks with scenery.

Waitstaff are young but on both occasions very responsive and friendly. Shorts, t shirts and sandals are fine but true beach atmosphere leave the button downs at home.

Reviewed September 17, 2013

The 3 of us ate seafood. We all thought our food was overpriced. Hushpuppies cost $5. Food was a bit better than mediocre. Too many other great restaurants in Va. Beach to return to Baja.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We enjoyed delicious Old Bay steamed shrimp and steamed vegetables. The drink selection is varied and fun.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Don't let the exterior fool you, this little place is a jewel inside. Casual beach décor with local art for purchase on the walls, you can get a burger or fresh seafood dishes and sit inside or out. There a lot of locals that visit on a regular basis but you will also find large tables of visitors who are staying in the nearby home rentals. If the weather is nice, I would recommend sitting outside to watch the sunset on the bay and stick around after dinner for entertainment from dodgeball to live bands. The staff and management are always nice and if you like Bloody Mary's, Melissa's are the best.

1  Thank LunaC